zypp repo types

Felix Miata-3
Author of http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12155 claims following instructions on
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/OpenSUSE_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions
fail. I responded at http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12160

I noticed that in my own TDE repos, one is type rpm-md, the other type yum. What exactly
are the differences among the possible zypp types? "No manual entry for repos.d". Looking at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
the type yum on the instruction page seems maybe not to be a valid type???

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: zypp repo types

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op maandag 29 januari 2018 21:24:27 CET schreef Felix Miata:

> Author of http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12155 claims
> following instructions on
> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/OpenSUSE_Trinity_Repository_Installation_In
> structions fail. I responded at
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12160
>
> I noticed that in my own TDE repos, one is type rpm-md, the other type yum.
> What exactly are the differences among the possible zypp types? "No manual
> entry for repos.d". Looking at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
> the type yum on the instruction page seems maybe not to be a valid type???

I never use the -t option, instead add repos in this way

zypper ar -f -n PrettyName REPO_URL PrettyName

and let the repo provide the type info.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: zypp repo types

Felix Miata-3
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink composed on 2018-01-29 23:42 (UTC+0100):

> Felix Miata composed:

>> Author of http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12155 claims
>> following instructions on
>> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/OpenSUSE_Trinity_Repository_Installation_In
>> structions fail. I responded at
>> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::12160

>> I noticed that in my own TDE repos, one is type rpm-md, the other type yum.
>> What exactly are the differences among the possible zypp types? "No manual
>> entry for repos.d". Looking at
>> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
>> the type yum on the instruction page seems maybe not to be a valid type???

> I never use the -t option, instead add repos in this way

> zypper ar -f -n PrettyName REPO_URL PrettyName

> and let the repo provide the type info.

That makes sense, but doesn't really provide the info I need to fix the Wiki
instruction that includes the -t option and may be the reason for the problem
reported on the TDE mailing list. If "type=yum" is invalid or presents a
potential for trouble, I want to say so in an update comment.

I don't use ar myself. I copy an existing .repo file free of superfluous
characters, spaces, dots and underscores in their names, and sorted within, off
the LAN, and tweak if necessary; or, copy an existing .repo file from the repo
itself, editing as I do with those on the LAN. e.g.

[TDE]
autorefresh=0
baseurl=http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity/rpm/opensuse42.3/trinity-r14/RPMS/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
name=TDE
type=rpm-md

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: zypp repo types

Liam Proven
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:24:27 -0500
Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  What exactly
> are the differences among the possible zypp types?

From the CaaSP documentation I'm working on:

«
Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing .rpm files.
»

The full options for adding a repo are:

«
*id*
 The local unique ID of the repository, also known as its alias. (Mandatory.)

*name*
 A more descriptive string describing the repository, used in the UI. (Mandatory.)

*baseurl*
 URL to the directory where the repository's repodata directory lives. (Mandatory.)

*type*
 Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing .rpm files.

*path*
 This is relative to the baseurl; the default is /.

*gpgcheck*
 Defines whether the source signatures should be checked using GPG.

*gpgkey*
 Defines the URL for a GPG key.

*enabled*
 Defaults to 1 (on). Set to 0 to disable the repository: it will be known and listed, but not used.

*autorefresh*
 Defaults to 1 (on). When on, the local package cache will be updated to the remote version whenever package management actions are performed.

*priority*
 Defines a source priority, from 1 (lowest) to 200 (highest). The default is 99.
»

Hope that is of some help.
Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084

Re: zypp repo types

On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 11:53 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>>  What exactly
>> are the differences among the possible zypp types?
>
> From the CaaSP documentation I'm working on:
>
> «
> Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing .rpm files.
> »
>
> The full options for adding a repo are:
>
> «
> *id*
> The local unique ID of the repository, also known as its alias. (Mandatory.)
>
> *name*
> A more descriptive string describing the repository, used in the UI. (Mandatory.)
>
> *baseurl*
> URL to the directory where the repository's repodata directory lives. (Mandatory.)
>
> *type*
> Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing .rpm files.
>
> *path*
> This is relative to the baseurl; the default is /.
>
> *gpgcheck*
> Defines whether the source signatures should be checked using GPG.
>
> *gpgkey*
> Defines the URL for a GPG key.
>
> *enabled*
> Defaults to 1 (on). Set to 0 to disable the repository: it will be known and listed, but not used.
>
> *autorefresh*
> Defaults to 1 (on). When on, the local package cache will be updated to the remote version whenever package management actions are performed.
>
> *priority*
> Defines a source priority, from 1 (lowest) to 200 (highest). The default is 99.
> »
>
> Hope that is of some help.
Yes, thankyou!  :-)

Re: zypp repo types

Felix Miata-3
Liam Proven composed on 2018-01-30 11:53 (UTC+0100):

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:24:27 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

>>  What exactly
>> are the differences among the possible zypp types?

>>From the CaaSP documentation I'm working on:
> *type*
>  Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing .rpm files.
...   Same obtuse description as I found on
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
before starting the thread. Does it mean that type=rpm-md and type=yum are both
valid? What distinguishes a yast2 repo from an rpm-md repo? Also, is it valid to
omit a type?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: zypp repo types

Michael Andres
On Tuesday 30 January 2018 14:47:09 Felix Miata wrote:

> Liam Proven composed on 2018-01-30 11:53 (UTC+0100):
> > On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:24:27 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:
> >>  What exactly
> >> are the differences among the possible zypp types?
> >
> >From the CaaSP documentation I'm working on:

> > *type*
> >  Zypper is able to work with three types of repository: yast2 and rpm-md
> > (yum) repositories, as well as plaindir - plain directories containing
> > .rpm files.
>
> ...   Same obtuse description as I found on
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
> before starting the thread.

Maybe we (zypper) should start to deprecate this option.

The repo type is autodetected and remembered in the .repo file. Checking whether
to refresh the repo metadata, zypp starts looking for the remembered type of
metadata before running an new autodetection (in case the type has changed).

        libzypp < 16.14.0 does not re-probe automatically. In case the repo
        typo changes one needs to manually delete the 'type=...' from the .repo
        file to trigger re-probing.

Actually you should not need to use --type with addrepo.

> Does it mean that type=rpm-md and type=yum are both valid?

Type names            and accepted aliases
        "rpm-md"      | "rpm"|"rpmmd"|"repomd"|"yum"|"up2date";
        "yast2"       | "yast"|"susetags";

> What distinguishes a yast2 repo from an rpm-md repo?

The on-disk layout and format of metadata files and packages:

"yast2":

openSUSE:repo-oss/content (Master index file)
openSUSE:repo-oss/content.asc
openSUSE:repo-oss/content.key

openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/ (Additional metadata files)
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/appdata-icons.tar.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/appdata-screenshots.tar
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/appdata.xml.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.DU.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.de.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.en.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.fr.gz
openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.gz

openSUSE:repo-oss/suse/<ARCH>/ (Rpm packages)

"rpm-md":

openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/repomd.xml (Master index file)
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/repomd.xml.asc
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/repomd.xml.key

openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/ (Additional metadata files)
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/updateinfo.xml.gz
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/app-icons.tar.gz
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/primary.xml.gz
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/deltainfo.xml.gz
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/suseinfo.xml.gz
openSUSE:update-oss/repodata/appdata.xml.gz

openSUSE:update-oss/<ARCH>/ (Rpm packages)

> Also, is it valid to omit a type?

Yes, it's autodetected.

--

cu,
    Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862  27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4
Michael Andres       SUSE LINUX GmbH, Development,       [hidden email]
Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany, ++49 (0)911 - 74 053-0

Re: zypp repo types

Liam Proven
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:47:09 -0500
Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...   Same obtuse description as I found on
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
> before starting the thread.

How is it obtuse?

> Does it mean that type=rpm-md and type=yum are both
> valid?

Yes.

> What distinguishes a yast2 repo from an rpm-md repo?

Yast2 is SUSE's own format for the metadata and config files in a repository.

Detailed info:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata

RPM-MD is a Red Hat format.

Some detailed info is here:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Standards_Rpm_Metadata

Additional info:

https://blog.felipe-alfaro.com/2006/06/06/package-management-repositories-metadata/

> Also, is it valid to
> omit a type?

You did note that the first 3 options are flagged "(Mandatory)" and the rest are not, yes?

Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084

Re: zypp repo types

Felix Miata-3
Liam Proven composed on 2018-01-30 19:14 (UTC+0100):

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:47:09 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

>> ...   Same obtuse description as I found on
>> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_manual_%28plain%29
>> before starting the thread.

> How is it obtuse?

Better word choices might be "abstruse" or "overly terse".

example:
[quote]
-t, --type type
     Type of repository (yast2, rpm-md, or plaindir) in case the autodetection fails. There are several
     aliases defined for these types:

     yast2      susetags, yast, YaST, YaST2, YAST
     rpm-md     repomd, rpmmd, yum, YUM
     plaindir   Plaindir
[/quote]

On study it appears there is tabular data in a table lacking headings and borders
and that every reader is expected to recognize, without either, or use of colons,
which are aliases, and which are types, even though a list of types is not first
presented in a customary option format [yast2|rpm-md|plaindir]. Simply changing
"these types" to "the three types" would be less ambiguous given that the types
are previously presented only as parenthetical.

>> Does it mean that type=rpm-md and type=yum are both
>> valid?

> Yes.

>> What distinguishes a yast2 repo from an rpm-md repo?

> Yast2 is SUSE's own format for the metadata and config files in a repository.

> Detailed info:

> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata

> RPM-MD is a Red Hat format.

> Some detailed info is here:

> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Standards_Rpm_Metadata

> Additional info:

> https://blog.felipe-alfaro.com/2006/06/06/package-management-repositories-metadata/

>> Also, is it valid to
>> omit a type?

> You did note that the first 3 options are flagged "(Mandatory)" and the rest are not, yes?

Due to the particular presentation of "(Mandatory)", I don't believe I made
a connection before I wrote. Had Mandatory been presented as a heading followed
by the three that are mandatory, then a heading for, and then a list of, the
optional ones, or had Mandatory immediately followed each option rather than the
option's description, that would not likely have escaped.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/