zypp dependencies

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Hi,

during upgrade to 42.2 I found a small dependency problem which is not
resolved correctly with zypper (in my opinion) but probably I missed
something. (Someone else just reported the same symptom in bugzilla but
closed it again because he fixed it manually.)

Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16

Hygiea:~ # zypper search -s --provides libavcodec-full
Repository-Daten werden geladen...
Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...

S | Name         | Typ   | Version    | Arch   | Repository

--+--------------+-------+------------+--------+-----------------------------
i | libavcodec56 | Paket | 2.8.8-24.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-42.2-0

v | libavcodec56 | Paket | 2.8.8-25.2 | x86_64 | Packman repository
(Factory)
v | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.2-4.1    | x86_64 |
openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update
v | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.1.3-2.1  | x86_64 | openSUSE-42.2-0

i | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.2-6.2    | x86_64 | Packman repository
(Factory)

I think here is the problem. This output suggests that both variants for
those package (openSUSE and packman) provide that.
But this is not the case as can be seen here:

Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --whatprovides libavcodec-full
libavcodec57-3.2-6.2.x86_64

Therefore this is a typical upgrade problem when the upgrade is
performed via dup and non-official repos turned off which I would
consider best practice but even if the packman repo is enabled again the
recommended package is not automatically being pulled.

Is this a dependency resolving bug in libzypp or did I miss something?

Wolfgang

Re: zypp dependencies

Andrei Borzenkov
18.12.2016 18:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer пишет:

> Hi,
>
> during upgrade to 42.2 I found a small dependency problem which is not
> resolved correctly with zypper (in my opinion) but probably I missed
> something. (Someone else just reported the same symptom in bugzilla but
> closed it again because he fixed it manually.)
>
> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16
>
> Hygiea:~ # zypper search -s --provides libavcodec-full

It returns nothing here with pristine Leap repositories.

> Repository-Daten werden geladen...
> Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...
>
> S | Name         | Typ   | Version    | Arch   | Repository
>
> --+--------------+-------+------------+--------+-----------------------------
> i | libavcodec56 | Paket | 2.8.8-24.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-42.2-0
>
> v | libavcodec56 | Paket | 2.8.8-25.2 | x86_64 | Packman repository
> (Factory)
> v | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.2-4.1    | x86_64 |
> openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update
> v | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.1.3-2.1  | x86_64 | openSUSE-42.2-0
>
> i | libavcodec57 | Paket | 3.2-6.2    | x86_64 | Packman repository
> (Factory)
>

> I think here is the problem. This output suggests that both variants for
> those package (openSUSE and packman) provide that.
> But this is not the case as can be seen here:
>
> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --whatprovides libavcodec-full
> libavcodec57-3.2-6.2.x86_64
>
> Therefore this is a typical upgrade problem when the upgrade is
> performed via dup and non-official repos turned off which I would
> consider best practice but even if the packman repo is enabled again the
> recommended package is not automatically being pulled.
>
> Is this a dependency resolving bug in libzypp or did I miss something?

Most likely libavcodec-full is provided by both versions of *Packman*
package, later zypper displays all packages with the same name due to
_"-s" flag. What does it show without "-s"?

Re: zypp dependencies

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 18.12.2016 um 17:37 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
> 18.12.2016 18:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer пишет:

>> during upgrade to 42.2 I found a small dependency problem which is not
>> resolved correctly with zypper (in my opinion) but probably I missed
>> something. (Someone else just reported the same symptom in bugzilla but
>> closed it again because he fixed it manually.)
>>
>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
>> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16
>>
>> Hygiea:~ # zypper search -s --provides libavcodec-full
>
> It returns nothing here with pristine Leap repositories.

Kind of what I expected

>> I think here is the problem. This output suggests that both variants for
>> those package (openSUSE and packman) provide that.
>> But this is not the case as can be seen here:
>>
>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --whatprovides libavcodec-full
>> libavcodec57-3.2-6.2.x86_64
>>
>> Therefore this is a typical upgrade problem when the upgrade is
>> performed via dup and non-official repos turned off which I would
>> consider best practice but even if the packman repo is enabled again the
>> recommended package is not automatically being pulled.
>>
>> Is this a dependency resolving bug in libzypp or did I miss something?
>>

> Most likely libavcodec-full is provided by both versions of *Packman*
> package, later zypper displays all packages with the same name due to
> _"-s" flag. What does it show without "-s"?

My guess also is that zypper reflects the result of the search to all
packages with the same name

Without -s it just says:
S | Name         | Zusammenfassung      | Typ

Re: zypp dependencies

Andrei Borzenkov
19.12.2016 01:01, Wolfgang Rosenauer пишет:

> Am 18.12.2016 um 17:37 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
>> 18.12.2016 18:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer пишет:
>
>>> during upgrade to 42.2 I found a small dependency problem which is not
>>> resolved correctly with zypper (in my opinion) but probably I missed
>>> something. (Someone else just reported the same symptom in bugzilla but
>>> closed it again because he fixed it manually.)
>>>
>>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
>>> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16
>>>
>>> Hygiea:~ # zypper search -s --provides libavcodec-full
>>
>> It returns nothing here with pristine Leap repositories.
>
> Kind of what I expected
>

>>> I think here is the problem. This output suggests that both variants for
>>> those package (openSUSE and packman) provide that.
>>> But this is not the case as can be seen here:
>>>
>>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --whatprovides libavcodec-full
>>> libavcodec57-3.2-6.2.x86_64
>>>
>>> Therefore this is a typical upgrade problem when the upgrade is
>>> performed via dup and non-official repos turned off which I would
>>> consider best practice but even if the packman repo is enabled again the
>>> recommended package is not automatically being pulled.
>>>
>>> Is this a dependency resolving bug in libzypp or did I miss something?
>>>

>> Most likely libavcodec-full is provided by both versions of *Packman*
>> package, later zypper displays all packages with the same name due to
>> _"-s" flag. What does it show without "-s"?
>
> My guess also is that zypper reflects the result of the search to all
> packages with the same name
>
> Without -s it just says:
> S | Name         | Zusammenfassung      | Typ
> --+--------------+----------------------+------
> i | libavcodec56 | FFmpeg codec library | Paket

Hmm ... if this comes from standard repo, this looks indeed like a bug
in zypper or some underlying library. I suppose nobody expected same
package (name) from different repositories to have different set of
provides.

> i | libavcodec57 | FFmpeg codec library | Paket
>

> Wolfgang

Re: zypp dependencies

Bernhard M. Wiedemann-2
On 2016-12-18 16:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16

I guess, part of the confusion comes from the fact, that libavcodec-full
is not required, so can be safely skipped.
But it is recommended, so it might be installed if easily available
(e.g. no vendor change needed)

Re: zypp dependencies

Olaf Hering-2
Am 3. Januar 2017 12:50:48 MEZ schrieb "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <[hidden email]>:
>On 2016-12-18 16:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
>> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16

What purpose serves this anyway, and does it actually work in practice?

Re: zypp dependencies

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 04.01.2017 um 08:28 schrieb Olaf Hering:
> Am 3. Januar 2017 12:50:48 MEZ schrieb "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <[hidden email]>:
>> On 2016-12-18 16:47, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>>> Hygiea:~ # rpm -q --recommends MozillaFirefox | grep avcodec
>>> libavcodec-full >= 0.10.16
>
> What purpose serves this anyway, and does it actually work in practice?

it _should_ make sure that (uncrippled) libavcodec is installed if available to
make HTML5 video work in Firefox.

It used to work when I introduced it at least for the case it is available
during installation of Firefox.
Probably Bernhard's comment is the explanation because obviously installing
libavcodec-full would require a vendor change if libavcodec from openSUSE is
already installed.

If anyone knows a better or working solution to achieve the above, please let me
know.

Wolfgang

Re: zypp dependencies

Olaf Hering-2
Am 05.01.2017 um 18:46 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
> If anyone knows a better or working solution to achieve the above, please let me
> know.

The well known 'zypper dup' will install the packman/videolan variants
of ffmpeg, even without such extra Recommends.

Olaf

Re: zypp dependencies

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4

Am 5. Januar 2017 21:55:29 MEZ schrieb Olaf Hering <[hidden email]>:
>Am 05.01.2017 um 18:46 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
>> If anyone knows a better or working solution to achieve the above,
>please let me
>> know.
>
>The well known 'zypper dup' will install the packman/videolan variants
>of ffmpeg, even without such extra Recommends.
>
>Olaf

I know how to switch myself. I would like to provide a Firefox package which matches Windows functionality with the least possible required knowledge of the average user though.

Wolfgang