yup repositories for SLE 12?

Frank Steiner
Hi,

anyone knows if it is possible to mirror the SLE 12 channels with curl
(i.e. yup)? Obviously, the "expected" URLs like
https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES12-GA-Updates/sle-12-x86_64/
do not exist, and I read that SLE 12 updates are no longer served by the
NCC but the new SCC.

Is there a way to mirror from the SCC, too?

cu,
Frank
--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik    Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/

Re: yup repositories for SLE 12?

Marcus Meissner
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:31:26AM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anyone knows if it is possible to mirror the SLE 12 channels with curl
> (i.e. yup)? Obviously, the "expected" URLs like
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES12-GA-Updates/sle-12-x86_64/
> do not exist, and I read that SLE 12 updates are no longer served by the
> NCC but the new SCC.
>
> Is there a way to mirror from the SCC, too?

SMT has been updated to be able to do so.

(I have so far no plans to update yup, but patches are welcome. Perhaps
I can find the time at some point in the future.)

Ciao, Marcus

Re: yup repositories for SLE 12?

Frank Steiner
Hi Marcus,

Marcus Meissner wrote

>> Is there a way to mirror from the SCC, too?
>
> SMT has been updated to be able to do so.

yes, I've found a document about this, thanks!

> (I have so far no plans to update yup, but patches are welcome. Perhaps
> I can find the time at some point in the future.)

I've adjusted yup myself after the last version you created
in your home repository for SLE 11, to reflect SP2/3 etc. So all I need
to make it work for SLE 12 are the new URLs instead of the old
https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/... ones. Are they defined somewhere?

I'd like to stay with yup because it's perfectly scriptable for our needs
(like e.g. not fetching patch.rpms etc.). SMT would only be the "fallback"...

cu,
Frank

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 02:07:53PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> >> Is there a way to mirror from the SCC, too?
> >
> > SMT has been updated to be able to do so.
>
> yes, I've found a document about this, thanks!
>

> > (I have so far no plans to update yup, but patches are welcome. Perhaps
> > I can find the time at some point in the future.)
>
> I've adjusted yup myself after the last version you created
> in your home repository for SLE 11, to reflect SP2/3 etc. So all I need
> to make it work for SLE 12 are the new URLs instead of the old
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/... ones. Are they defined somewhere?
>
> I'd like to stay with yup because it's perfectly scriptable for our needs
> (like e.g. not fetching patch.rpms etc.). SMT would only be the "fallback"...

While there are new urls and the scheme is kind of easy to see, the authentication
method changed.

e.g.
https://updates.suse.com/SUSE/Updates/SLE-SERVER/12/x86_64/update?TOKEN

where TOKEN is a very long hexstring.

The TOKEN is got via queries to
https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1106?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64
(not sure what 1106 means) for the server.

On a installed system, the credentials needed to access above (basic-auth) are in:
        /etc/zypp/credentials.d/SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64
this has username (SCC_hexstring) and password (hexstring)

so:
curl -u SCC_hexstring:hexstring https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1106?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64

the returned repoindex XML refers to above urls for starters.
<repoindex>
  <repo url="https://updates.suse.com/SUSE/Updates/SLE-SERVER/12/x86_64/update?TOKEN" alias="SLES12-Updates" name="SLES12-Updates" autorefresh="true" enabled="true" distro_target="sle-12-x86_64"/>
  <repo url="https://updates.suse.com/SUSE/Updates/SLE-SERVER/12/x86_64/update_debug?TOKEN" alias="SLES12-Debuginfo-Updates" name="SLES12-Debuginfo-Updates" autorefresh="true" enabled="false" distro_target="sle-12-x86_64"/>
  <repo url="https://updates.suse.com/SUSE/Products/SLE-SERVER/12/x86_64/product?TOKEN" alias="SLES12-Pool" name="SLES12-Pool" autorefresh="false" enabled="true" distro_target="sle-12-x86_64"/>
  <repo url="https://updates.suse.com/SUSE/Products/SLE-SERVER/12/x86_64/product_debug?TOKEN" alias="SLES12-Debuginfo-Pool" name="SLES12-Debuginfo-Pool" autorefresh="false" enabled="false" distro_target="sle-12-x86_64"/>
</repoindex>

Ciao, Marcus

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 02:15:21PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 02:07:53PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
> > Hi Marcus,
> >
> > Marcus Meissner wrote

> > > SMT has been updated to be able to do so.
> >
> > yes, I've found a document about this, thanks!
> >

> > > (I have so far no plans to update yup, but patches are welcome. Perhaps
> > > I can find the time at some point in the future.)
> >
> > I've adjusted yup myself after the last version you created
> > in your home repository for SLE 11, to reflect SP2/3 etc. So all I need
> > to make it work for SLE 12 are the new URLs instead of the old
> > https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/... ones. Are they defined somewhere?
> >
> > I'd like to stay with yup because it's perfectly scriptable for our needs
> > (like e.g. not fetching patch.rpms etc.). SMT would only be the "fallback"...

I will be writing a new yup12 for this.

(actually half done already, just a bit of boring work left.)

Ciao, Marcus

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 12:35:27PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 02:15:21PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 02:07:53PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
> > > Hi Marcus,
> > >
> > > Marcus Meissner wrote

> > > yes, I've found a document about this, thanks!

> > > I've adjusted yup myself after the last version you created
> > > in your home repository for SLE 11, to reflect SP2/3 etc. So all I need
> > > to make it work for SLE 12 are the new URLs instead of the old
> > > https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/... ones. Are they defined somewhere?
> > >
> > > I'd like to stay with yup because it's perfectly scriptable for our needs
> > > (like e.g. not fetching patch.rpms etc.). SMT would only be the "fallback"...
>
> I will be writing a new yup12 for this.
>
> (actually half done already, just a bit of boring work left.)

So, basic downloader is in home:msmeissn:yup, /usr/bin/yup12

Configuration is inside the /usr/bin/yup12 perl script.

Ciao, Marcus

Re: yup repositories for SLE 12?

Frank Steiner
Hi Marcus,

Marcus Meissner wrote

>> I will be writing a new yup12 for this.
>>
>> (actually half done already, just a bit of boring work left.)
>
> So, basic downloader is in home:msmeissn:yup, /usr/bin/yup12
>
> Configuration is inside the /usr/bin/yup12 perl script.

thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate that a lot!

I managed to get the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
and they seem to work for scc somehow (changing them slightly returns
a "reason 401 Unauthorized" in yup).

But with the right credentials I only get
failed to download https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1106?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64, reason 404 Not Found
failed to download https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1104?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_s390x, reason 404 Not Found

Could that be because the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
are not valid for SCC? I don't have SCCcredentials, likely I had to run
suseRegister again on a SLE 12 system to get them....

cu,
Frank

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:18:38PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> >> I will be writing a new yup12 for this.
> >>
> >> (actually half done already, just a bit of boring work left.)
> >
> > So, basic downloader is in home:msmeissn:yup, /usr/bin/yup12
> >
> > Configuration is inside the /usr/bin/yup12 perl script.
>
> thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate that a lot!
>
> I managed to get the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
> and they seem to work for scc somehow (changing them slightly returns
> a "reason 401 Unauthorized" in yup).
>
> But with the right credentials I only get
> failed to download https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1106?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_x86_64, reason 404 Not Found
> failed to download https://scc.suse.com/access/services/1104?credentials=SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_s390x, reason 404 Not Found
>
> Could that be because the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
> are not valid for SCC? I don't have SCCcredentials, likely I had to run
> suseRegister again on a SLE 12 system to get them....

You will need the SCC credentials. The SCC username is of SCC_<lotsofhexdigits> form.

SUEConnect would be the commandline tool on SLE12 to register the system.

(If you wonder about mirror credentials, I am not sure how to get them.)

Ciao, Marcus

Re: yup repositories for SLE 12?

Frank Steiner
Frank Steiner wrote

> Could that be because the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
> are not valid for SCC? I don't have SCCcredentials, likely I had to run
> suseRegister again on a SLE 12 system to get them....

Yes, that worked. I quickly setup a SLES 12 in a VirtualBox and got
the SCCcredentials. Using them I can now access and download the
SLES 12 updates even from a SLE 11 SP3 server. To download
SDK and SLED, too, they must be added as add-on products once.
Their credentials are the same as the SLES ones, so yup will indeed
work with only one user/pass string, but the different products must be
"connected" with these credentials by registering them once.

cu,
Frank

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 01:14:26PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Frank Steiner wrote
>
> > Could that be because the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
> > are not valid for SCC? I don't have SCCcredentials, likely I had to run
> > suseRegister again on a SLE 12 system to get them....
>
> Yes, that worked. I quickly setup a SLES 12 in a VirtualBox and got
> the SCCcredentials. Using them I can now access and download the
> SLES 12 updates even from a SLE 11 SP3 server. To download
> SDK and SLED, too, they must be added as add-on products once.
> Their credentials are the same as the SLES ones, so yup will indeed
> work with only one user/pass string, but the different products must be
> "connected" with these credentials by registering them once.

Correct.

I have not yet reverse engineered SMT (which you could still just use btw).

Ciao, Marcus

Re: yup repositories for SLE 12?

Frank Steiner
Marcus Meissner wrote

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 01:14:26PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
>> Frank Steiner wrote
>>
>>> Could that be because the credentials from /etc/credentials.d/NCCcredentials
>>> are not valid for SCC? I don't have SCCcredentials, likely I had to run
>>> suseRegister again on a SLE 12 system to get them....
>> Yes, that worked. I quickly setup a SLES 12 in a VirtualBox and got
>> the SCCcredentials. Using them I can now access and download the
>> SLES 12 updates even from a SLE 11 SP3 server. To download
>> SDK and SLED, too, they must be added as add-on products once.
>> Their credentials are the same as the SLES ones, so yup will indeed
>> work with only one user/pass string, but the different products must be
>> "connected" with these credentials by registering them once.

Just for the records: I failed to access SLED updates because I could not
add SLED as add-on product to SLES (not that it would make much sense,
just for registering them together with one set of credentials... But I
could not find a URL to add for SLED updates that would ask me for the
registration code...). So I installed SLED on its own and got different
credentials. I could add SDK to this set, too.

I will just add some code from the old yup to read the values from config
files and everything is fine :-)

> I have not yet reverse engineered SMT (which you could still just use btw).

I tried to find the mentioned smt 2.0.7 for SLE 11, but searching
on updates.suse.com I get only an iso images for a 1.x version from 2013,
so I couldn't check the migration ability. When SLE 12 is running, I
will definitely take a look at it. However, yup perfectly allows for
adjusting to our own needs: always keep only the newest rpm versions,
not fetching patch.rpm etc. is really easy to adjust with changing some
lines of code :-)

Thanks again for all your help!
cu,
Frank

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 02:18:05PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 01:14:26PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
> >> Frank Steiner wrote

> >> Yes, that worked. I quickly setup a SLES 12 in a VirtualBox and got
> >> the SCCcredentials. Using them I can now access and download the
> >> SLES 12 updates even from a SLE 11 SP3 server. To download
> >> SDK and SLED, too, they must be added as add-on products once.
> >> Their credentials are the same as the SLES ones, so yup will indeed
> >> work with only one user/pass string, but the different products must be
> >> "connected" with these credentials by registering them once.
>
> Just for the records: I failed to access SLED updates because I could not
> add SLED as add-on product to SLES (not that it would make much sense,
> just for registering them together with one set of credentials... But I
> could not find a URL to add for SLED updates that would ask me for the
> registration code...). So I installed SLED on its own and got different
> credentials. I could add SDK to this set, too.
>
> I will just add some code from the old yup to read the values from config
> files and everything is fine :-)

Workstation Extension contains some desktop packages at least... if you
are interested in them.

> > I have not yet reverse engineered SMT (which you could still just use btw).
>
> I tried to find the mentioned smt 2.0.7 for SLE 11, but searching
> on updates.suse.com I get only an iso images for a 1.x version from 2013,
> so I couldn't check the migration ability. When SLE 12 is running, I
> will definitely take a look at it. However, yup perfectly allows for
> adjusting to our own needs: always keep only the newest rpm versions,
> not fetching patch.rpm etc. is really easy to adjust with changing some
> lines of code :-)
>
> Thanks again for all your help!

:)

Ciao, Marcus