yast2 advanced routing

Rowan R.
is there a way to use yast to add advanced routes simular to below ?

ip rule add from $IP2 table T2

--
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without
fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do

Re: yast2 advanced routing

Per Jessen-2
Rowan R. wrote:

> is there a way to use yast to add advanced routes simular to below ?
>
> ip rule add from $IP2 table T2

I don't believe it's possible, but let me know if you find a way.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.6°C)

Re: yast2 advanced routing

Lars Müller
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:24:23AM -0800, Rowan R. wrote:
> is there a way to use yast to add advanced routes simular to below ?

I'm not aware of a way to setup such advanced routing rules with YaST.

> ip rule add from $IP2 table T2

But via the {POST,PRE}_{UP,DOWN}_SCRIPT variables of the
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-* files it's possible to implement it.

By this for example it's possible to link the same system to multiple
networks. This is some times labled multi homed.

You achieve this via the "ip" command.  Here you use the rule feature.

http://www.policyrouting.org/iproute2.doc.html has a dedicated section
about this.

The question from the Linux vendor point of view is: do we need to offer
more than YaST is able to handle right now?

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: yast2 advanced routing

Per Jessen-2
Lars Müller wrote:

> The question from the Linux vendor point of view is: do we need to
> offer more than YaST is able to handle right now?

I think separate routing tables goes quite a bit beyond what we should
expect YaST to do.  I have sofar put my separate routing scripts in the
init-sequence, but putting them in /etc/sysconfig/network/<somewhere>
is not a bad idea either.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.1°C)

Re: yast2 advanced routing

Rowan R.
which script do you add your iproute2 routes ? I'm running opensuse
11. or should I make a completely seperate script. also how do I clear
the route data from yast as not to interfere with my new table ?

Rowan R. wrote:

> which script do you add your iproute2 routes ? I'm running opensuse
> 11. or should I make a completely seperate script. also how do I clear
> the route data from yast as not to interfere with my new table ?

YaST only deals with the default route table, and doesn't care about
what you do with your own.  I've made separate scripts which I call as
part of the init-sequence, but putting them
in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute-<interface> would probably be
a "better" option - it's really mostly about style.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8°C)