y2pmbuild and suse-update sources

David Keller-3
Hello,

I just made my first experience with y2pmbuild and packed some
applications and libraries. All worked fine.
Yet I would like to pack a kernel-module and later install it on my
system. Through yast online-update I managed to have kernel-2.6.16.21
installed on my box. But when I try to build the module with y2pmbuild I
get an rpm-file which is built on kernel-2.6.16.13.
My dists_common file looks like this:

****snip*****
# additional sources, specify with url_...
add_sources="suse susenonoss"

# suse here is the one from $add_sources
url_suse="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/"
url_susenonoss="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/"
url_suseupdate="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pub/suse/update/10.1"
*****snip*****

Don't care about the hard-coded version in the sources yet (I know how
to replace it with a more general formulation, but had no need to do it
so far).
Seemingly it is not possible to add the source suseupdate by replacing
the add_sources-tag with add_sources="suse susenonoss suseupdate". This
results in a lot of unresolved conflicts in the initialization of y2pmbuild.

Does somebody know a workaround?

Thanks in advance
Regards
David Keller

Re: y2pmbuild and suse-update sources

Henne Vogelsang
Hi,

On Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 11:47:06, David Keller wrote:

> I just made my first experience with y2pmbuild and packed some
> applications and libraries. All worked fine.
> Yet I would like to pack a kernel-module and later install it on my
> system. Through yast online-update I managed to have kernel-2.6.16.21
> installed on my box. But when I try to build the module with y2pmbuild I
> get an rpm-file which is built on kernel-2.6.16.13.
> My dists_common file looks like this:
>
> ****snip*****
> # additional sources, specify with url_...
> add_sources="suse susenonoss"
>
> # suse here is the one from $add_sources
> url_suse="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/"
> url_susenonoss="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/"
> url_suseupdate="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pub/suse/update/10.1"
> *****snip*****
>
> Don't care about the hard-coded version in the sources yet (I know how
> to replace it with a more general formulation, but had no need to do it
> so far).
> Seemingly it is not possible to add the source suseupdate by replacing
> the add_sources-tag with add_sources="suse susenonoss suseupdate". This
> results in a lot of unresolved conflicts in the initialization of y2pmbuild.
>
> Does somebody know a workaround?

This is because the update repos are in the rpm-md format which knows
nothing about file provides (like /bin/sh) but contains files that need
this. The only way i know to workaround this is to transfer them into
the yast2 format with the EXTRA_PROV file from the 10.1 repos.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang,      http://hennevogel.de
"To die. In the rain. Alone."
                   Ernest Hemingway

Re: y2pmbuild and suse-update sources

David Keller-3
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

> This is because the update repos are in the rpm-md format which knows
> nothing about file provides (like /bin/sh) but contains files that need
> this.
That would actually explain the errors I got concerning e.g. /bin/sh.
> The only way i know to workaround this is to transfer them into
> the yast2 format with the EXTRA_PROV file from the 10.1 repos.

I guess you meant this file:
http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
Doesn't it look quite short?
Could you please give me some further hint how to convert it into yast2
format and howto get it loaded from y2pmbuild?

Thanks a lot
Regards
David Keller

On Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 20:06:55, David Keller wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> > This is because the update repos are in the rpm-md format which knows
> > nothing about file provides (like /bin/sh) but contains files that need
> > this.
> That would actually explain the errors I got concerning e.g. /bin/sh.

Jupp

> > The only way i know to workaround this is to transfer them into
> > the yast2 format with the EXTRA_PROV file from the 10.1 repos.
>
> I guess you meant this file:
> http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
> Doesn't it look quite short?

Yes this one.

> Could you please give me some further hint how to convert it into yast2
> format and howto get it loaded from y2pmbuild?

You need to change the repository so you cant use one from the mirrors
directly. You have to download it to your local harddisk and create the
metadata. See

http://en.opensuse.org/Creating_YaST_Installation_Sources#YaST_Sources

for details.

I have a script that does this on my buildhost. Looks like this

http://hennevogel.de/~hvogel/netsourcesync.sh

You can exchange the directory to download too and get the EXTRA_PROV
file with wget but everything else should be ok.

Henne