xscreesaver went nuts and I had to uninstall it.

xscreesaver went nuts and I had to uninstall it.

xscreensaver would trigger every minute or two. Clicking on its banner removed it (without entering
the password), but the display was black and I had to click everywhere to restore each window. Even
the background had to be clicked to restore the icons. A real pain in the ass.

I tried setting it to never start, no use. I had to remove it to be able to keep working on the
computer.

Anybody knows what was that?

XFCE 4.12
openSUSE Leap 42.3 freshly installed.

                (from oS 42.3 "Malachite" (rescate 1))

Re: xscreesaver went nuts and I had to uninstall it.

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-02-01 21:59, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> xscreensaver would trigger every minute or two. Clicking on its banner removed it (without entering
> the password), but the display was black and I had to click everywhere to restore each window. Even
> the background had to be clicked to restore the icons. A real pain in the ass.
>
> I tried setting it to never start, no use. I had to remove it to be able to keep working on the
> computer.
>
> Anybody knows what was that?
>

> XFCE 4.12
> openSUSE Leap 42.3 freshly installed.

It is even happening now, with xscreensaver deleted. Seems to trigger when I start YaST package
manager, when I try to display the repository packman. (!)

                (from oS 42.3 "Malachite" (rescate 1))

Re: xscreesaver went nuts and I had to uninstall it.

Peter Suetterlin-2
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-02-01 21:59, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > xscreensaver would trigger every minute or two. Clicking on its banner removed it (without entering
> > the password), but the display was black and I had to click everywhere to restore each window. Even
> > the background had to be clicked to restore the icons. A real pain in the ass.
> >
> > I tried setting it to never start, no use. I had to remove it to be able to keep working on the
> > computer.
> >
> > Anybody knows what was that?
> >

> > XFCE 4.12
> > openSUSE Leap 42.3 freshly installed.
>
> It is even happening now, with xscreensaver deleted. Seems to trigger when I start YaST package
> manager, when I try to display the repository packman. (!)

Not sure if it is related in any way, I did (and do) have issues with screen
repaints (especially) in xterms.  I thought they were related/caused by
kwin_x11, but maybe not - I do (only) see them when compositing is on, so it
might be a Mesa issue.  Are you on i915 HW?  (Mine is a HD530)

Re: xscreesaver went nuts and I had to uninstall it [SOLVED]

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-02-02 15:33, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2018-02-01 21:59, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> xscreensaver would trigger every minute or two. Clicking on its banner removed it (without entering
>>> the password), but the display was black and I had to click everywhere to restore each window. Even
>>> the background had to be clicked to restore the icons. A real pain in the ass.
>>>
>>> I tried setting it to never start, no use. I had to remove it to be able to keep working on the
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> Anybody knows what was that?
>>>

>>> XFCE 4.12
>>> openSUSE Leap 42.3 freshly installed.
>>
>> It is even happening now, with xscreensaver deleted. Seems to trigger when I start YaST package
>> manager, when I try to display the repository packman. (!)
>
> Not sure if it is related in any way, I did (and do) have issues with screen
> repaints (especially) in xterms.  I thought they were related/caused by
> kwin_x11, but maybe not - I do (only) see them when compositing is on, so it
> might be a Mesa issue.  Are you on i915 HW?  (Mine is a HD530)
It seems it was caused by corrupted files after a bad crash - see thread
"rpm check" for details.