.wmf and .wmv files

Doug McGarrett
Hi, everyone--

I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
don't think they are knowingly diseased.

An aside:  if they were diseased, i.e., infected with something that would
be a problem in Windows, would it affect my Linux system?  I
think about this, but I'm not paranoid, and my XP system--when it's
working--has enough added-in paranoia that I don't worry about it.

--doug

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Jan Karjalainen
Doug McGarrett wrote:

> Hi, everyone--
>
> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
> Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
> If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
> don't think they are knowingly diseased.
>
> An aside:  if they were diseased, i.e., infected with something that would
> be a problem in Windows, would it affect my Linux system?  I
> think about this, but I'm not paranoid, and my XP system--when it's
> working--has enough added-in paranoia that I don't worry about it.
>
> --doug

You need the win32 codec pack, you can find it from Packmans site.
To make things easier, you should take a look at konvenientSUSE:
(http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=43378)

/J

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

upscope
On Wednesday January 24 2007 12:20, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> Hi, everyone--
>
> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
> Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
> If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
> don't think they are knowingly diseased.

Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save them as
jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this. Also I think
XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
Hope this helps

--
Russ

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Jan Karjalainen
russbucket wrote:

> On Wednesday January 24 2007 12:20, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>
>> Hi, everyone--
>>
>> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
>> Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
>> If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
>> don't think they are knowingly diseased.
>>

> Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save them as
> jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this. Also I think
> XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
> Hope this helps
>

>> --doug

You do realize that he was talking about video files?

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 15:19, Jan Karjalainen wrote:

> russbucket wrote:
> > On Wednesday January 24 2007 12:20, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> >> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will
> >> let Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no
> >> way.") If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from
> >> friends, so I don't think they are knowingly diseased.
> >
> > Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save them
> > as jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this. Also I
> > think XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
> > Hope this helps
> >
> >> --doug
>
> You do realize that he was talking about video files?

.wmv files are video files.  .wmf files, however, are graphics files (Windows
Metafile) and are editable in GIMP/Krita, as Russ said.

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

upscope
On Wednesday January 24 2007 13:19, Jan Karjalainen wrote:

> russbucket wrote:
> > On Wednesday January 24 2007 12:20, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> >> Hi, everyone--
> >>
> >> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will
> >> let Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no
> >> way.") If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from
> >> friends, so I don't think they are knowingly diseased.
> >
> > Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save them
> > as jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this. Also I
> > think XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
> > Hope this helps
> >
> >> --doug
>
> You do realize that he was talking about video files?
>
> --
> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
> practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut
No I must have missed that, sorry
--
Russ

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

kanenas
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:45, russbucket wrote:

> On Wednesday January 24 2007 13:19, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> > russbucket wrote:

> > > Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save
> > > them as jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this.
> > > Also I think XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
> > > Hope this helps

> > You do realize that he was talking about video files?
> >
> > --
> > "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
> > practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut
>
> No I must have missed that, sorry
> --
> Russ

Karbon14 also opens wmf files. don't know how, but that was the first "open
with" option on my 10.1 install!!

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Jan Karjalainen
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:45, russbucket wrote:

>>> You do realize that he was talking about video files?
>>>
>>> --
>>> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
>>> practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut
>>>
>> No I must have missed that, sorry
>> --
>> Russ
>>

> Karbon14 also opens wmf files. don't know how, but that was the first "open
> with" option on my 10.1 install!!

I was reading too fast, I saw just the wmv extension, wmf is windows
metafile, a graphics format...

/J'

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Jay Smith-3
w32codec will do the trick. That or you you can go to the http://www.mplayerhq.hu
and find the essential codecs tarball and untar it to /usr/lib/win32 (you may
have to make that directory). Also, I used libxine from packman and was able to
play some wmvs w/o using those other codecs.

On Wed Jan 24 13:33 , Scott Jones  sent:

>On Wednesday 24 January 2007 15:19, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
>
>> russbucket wrote:
>> >
>> > Both GIMP and Krita will open them, Then you can edit them and save them
>> > as jpeg, png etc. I've used GIMP for several years to do this. Also I
>> > think XNVIEW (Free Download) will also do it.
>> > Hope this helps

>> You do realize that he was talking about video files?
>
>.wmv files are video files.  .wmf files, however, are graphics files (Windows
>Metafile) and are editable in GIMP/Krita, as Russ said.

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Rakotomandimby Mihamina-2
On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 15:20 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> Is there a plugin that will let
> Linuxers display these files?

If you use the packman repo, Mplayer reads them.
You can also install Mencoder + JMencode then encode the wmv to mpeg or
better, ogg/theora.

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

JB2-2
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 16:59, Jay Smith wrote:

 <top-posting fixed>

> On Wed Jan 24 13:33 , Scott Jones  sent:

> >> You do realize that he was talking about video files?
> >
> >.wmv files are video files.  .wmf files, however, are graphics files
> > (Windows Metafile) and are editable in GIMP/Krita, as Russ said.
>
> w32codec will do the trick. That or you you can go to the
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu and find the essential codecs tarball and untar it
> to /usr/lib/win32 (you may have to make that directory). Also, I used
> libxine from packman and was able to play some wmvs w/o using those other
> codecs.

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Dominique Leuenberger-2

Try installing VideoLan Client. You can find it at www.videolan.org
(there are repos for SuSE >= 9.3, just follow the instructions).
VLC should be able to play them all...

Regards,
Dominique

Re: .wmf and .wmv files

Matthias Hopf
On Jan 24, 07 15:20:08 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
> Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
> If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
> don't think they are knowingly diseased.

.wmv is just a container format (actually it's ASF with a new extension
name, nothing more). Both xine and mplayer know them for a long time
now. Kaffeine is just another frontend to xine.

What you're probably stumbling over is the video codec. In wmv files,
it's typically VC-1 (former WM3, which is somtimes also called Windows
Media 9) format. w32codecs is the correct package to use right now. Only
works on i386, though.

mplayer has native support for VC-1 in SVN, but I don't know whether
packman has updated packages already.

> An aside:  if they were diseased, i.e., infected with something that would
> be a problem in Windows, would it affect my Linux system?  I

There probably are buffer overflow issues that are not yet found. I
wouldn't be too concerned at the moment, though, all infected files are
infected for Windows ATM, and all offsets into the players are different
on Linux, so even if there is an exploit it won't work.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[hidden email]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [hidden email]