why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Normand
Hello there,

At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?

(1) https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch_ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1
===
lldb scheduled
llvm scheduled
mysql-community-server scheduled
===

(2) https://build.opensuse.org/monitor
===
build95 (ppc64le)
idle
idle
idle
idle
idle
idle
idle
===
build96 (ppc64le)
qemu-linux-user
idle
libyui-ncurses-pkg
idle
idle
===

--
Michel Normand

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Andreas Schwab
Normand <[hidden email]> writes:

> At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
> Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Probably none of the workers can fulfill the constraints.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 18:27 +0200, Normand wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not
> dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
> Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
> Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
> How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?
>
> (1) https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch
> _ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1
I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for example:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/glib
-networking

The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this package, it
remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up such
changes.

The dirty flag on the repository disappeared

This package currently has in the meta data:
  <build>
    <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
  </build>

And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an issue
on the server side.

The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker should
be able to pick it up.

Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <[hidden email]>

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Dinar Valeev
On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Andreas Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Normand <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
>> Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
>
> Probably none of the workers can fulfill the constraints.
You're right. Power8 workers build in RAM, so single job has 3GB of RAM.

I've reduced number of slots now to increase RAM and disk space.

> Andreas.
>
> --
> Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
> GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
> "And now for something completely different."

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Dinar Valeev
On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 18:27 +0200, Normand wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not
>> dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
>> Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
>> Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
>> How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?
>>
>> (1) https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch
>> _ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1
>
> I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for example:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/glib
> -networking
>
> The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this package, it
> remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up such
> changes.
>
> The dirty flag on the repository disappeared
>
> This package currently has in the meta data:
>   <build>
>     <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
>   </build>
>
> And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an issue
> on the server side.
>
> The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker should
> be able to pick it up.
Yes, it should. Michel's case is different here. There a project
config limits to use just two machines (power8).

Factory shouldn't have such constraints.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <[hidden email]>

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Adrian Schröter
On Sunday 02 August 2015, 23:13:52 wrote Dinar Valeev:

> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 18:27 +0200, Normand wrote:
> >> Hello there,
> >>
> >> At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not
> >> dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
> >> Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
> >> Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
> >> How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?
> >>
> >> (1) https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch
> >> _ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1

All ppc64le instances do build atm (we have atm 17 instances)

I see that jobs from openSUSE:*, Kernel:SLE12 and also from home:k0da:Power42:
projects get assigned.

So this looks to me that there is just only this limited amount of build
power, but no problem.

On a side note: there are quite dangerous hostlabel constraints in the job.
They are fullfilled, but they will make it impossible to build
this distro on any other OBS instance. I would remove them, since
the requirement for "power8" cpu should be enough.

> > I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for example:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/glib
> > -networking
> >
> > The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this package, it
> > remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up such
> > changes.
> >
> > The dirty flag on the repository disappeared
> >
> > This package currently has in the meta data:
> >   <build>
> >     <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
> >   </build>
> >
> > And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an issue
> > on the server side.
> >
> > The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker should
> > be able to pick it up.
> Yes, it should. Michel's case is different here. There a project
> config limits to use just two machines (power8).
>
> Factory shouldn't have such constraints.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <[hidden email]>

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 22:46 +0200, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 18:27 +0200, Normand wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not
> > dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
> > Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
> > Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
> > How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?
> >
> > (1)
> > https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch
> > _ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1
>
> I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for example:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/gl
> ib
> -networking
>
> The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this package,
> it
> remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up such
> changes.
>
> The dirty flag on the repository disappeared
>
> This package currently has in the meta data:
>   <build>
>     <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
>   </build>
>
> And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an
> issue
> on the server side.
>
> The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker
> should
> be able to pick it up.
>
> Cheers,

So, Dinar's issue is different - but how can it be that a package that
has been marked build disabled in the meta for way > 24 hours is still
marked scheduled (and has been scheduled for a long time before,
without being picked up)?

On Monday 03 August 2015, 09:18:38 wrote Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger:

> On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 22:46 +0200, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 18:27 +0200, Normand wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > >
> > > At least for hours there are three schedules tasks (1) that are not
> > > dispatched on ppc64le builders (2)
> > > Why scheduled tasks not run on ppc64le builders ?
> > > Is there a scheduler problem in OBS ?
> > > How to track the reason why those tasks are not processed ?
> > >
> > > (1)
> > > https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:k0da:Power42?arch
> > > _ppc64le=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&scheduled=1
> >
> > I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for example:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/gl
> > ib
> > -networking
> >
> > The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this package,
> > it
> > remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up such
> > changes.
> >
> > The dirty flag on the repository disappeared
> >
> > This package currently has in the meta data:
> >   <build>
> >     <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
> >   </build>
> >
> > And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an
> > issue
> > on the server side.
> >
> > The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker
> > should
> > be able to pick it up.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> So, Dinar's issue is different - but how can it be that a package that
> has been marked build disabled in the meta for way > 24 hours is still
> marked scheduled (and has been scheduled for a long time before,
> without being picked up)?

The typical situation for this are worker constraints which can not be
fullfilled. Means the dispatcher never sees a worker which qualifies to
be able to build it. Eg. by requiring a cpu type which does not exist.

Unfortunatly, we do not have a propper error reporting for such dispatch
errors. It is planned though ...

On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 09:48 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:

> On Monday 03 August 2015, 09:18:38 wrote Dimstar / Dominique
> Leuenberger:
> > On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 22:46 +0200, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
> > wrote:

> > > I see the same in openSUSE Factory staging areas, like for
> > > example:
> > > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:
> > > E/gl
> > > ib
> > > -networking
> > >
> > > The biggest worry is that even though I build disabled this
> > > package,
> > > it
> > > remain schedules; so there is 100% an issue with OBS picking up
> > > such
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > The dirty flag on the repository disappeared
> > >
> > > This package currently has in the meta data:
> > >   <build>
> > >     <disable arch="ppc64le"/>
> > >   </build>
> > >
> > > And status is scheduled for ppc64le... this can't but indicate an
> > > issue
> > > on the server side.
> > >
> > > The package does not have a _constraints file, so any ppc worker
> > > should
> > > be able to pick it up.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> > So, Dinar's issue is different - but how can it be that a package
> > that
> > has been marked build disabled in the meta for way > 24 hours is
> > still
> > marked scheduled (and has been scheduled for a long time before,
> > without being picked up)?
>
> The typical situation for this are worker constraints which can not
> be
> fullfilled. Means the dispatcher never sees a worker which qualifies
> be able to build it. Eg. by requiring a cpu type which does not
> exist.
>
> Unfortunatly, we do not have a propper error reporting for such
> dispatch
> errors. It is planned though ...

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/glib
-networking for example does not have a _constraints file, is currently
set as build disabled in the package meta, yet, the current status is
'scheduled'... (disabling was done in an attempt for the scheduler to
'see' some changes... which obviously turned out very unexpected).

I see at least two more packages in the Staging:E area with the exact
same behavior (the same packages do build in other Staging areas, so
the constraint theory sounds a bit simplified here)

On Monday 03 August 2015, 09:53:29 wrote Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger:

> On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 09:48 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > On Monday 03 August 2015, 09:18:38 wrote Dimstar / Dominique
> > Leuenberger:

> > > So, Dinar's issue is different - but how can it be that a package
> > > that
> > > has been marked build disabled in the meta for way > 24 hours is
> > > still
> > > marked scheduled (and has been scheduled for a long time before,
> > > without being picked up)?
> >
> > The typical situation for this are worker constraints which can not
> > be
> > fullfilled. Means the dispatcher never sees a worker which qualifies
> > be able to build it. Eg. by requiring a cpu type which does not
> > exist.
> >
> > Unfortunatly, we do not have a propper error reporting for such
> > dispatch
> > errors. It is planned though ...
> >

> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:E/glib
> -networking for example does not have a _constraints file,

it has constraints via project wide config.

> is currently
> set as build disabled in the package meta, yet, the current status is
> 'scheduled'... (disabling was done in an attempt for the scheduler to
> 'see' some changes... which obviously turned out very unexpected).

it is not disabled for this project: it is a package which is only there
due to project link. In this situation all flags are ignored by default,
because they refer to the origin project.