webcam video dark, maybe wrong driver?

George Olson (SUSE list)
Hello,

I have an A4Tech PK-720G webcam plugged into my USB port. It has a built
in microphone. I managed to get skype to pick up the camera microphone
input (using pulse audio manager), and the video works to some degree,
but it shows a very dark image even when I am in a very well-lighted room.

Skype says it is using A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA J(/dev/video0)

If I run lsusb, the third line shows the following:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c40a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.

Also, the lines related to video when I run lsmod show the following:

uvcvideo               70281  0
videodev               81448  1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat            17505  2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32    10573  1 videodev

I don't really know what those indications mean, and I am kind of at a
loss as to what to do next. I google searched for a driver that linux
can use with this camera and couldn't find anything.

How do I find a correct driver for this camera and what do I need to
tweak to make it work right?

Thanks
George

Re: webcam video dark, maybe wrong driver?

C-29
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 02:20, George OLson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an A4Tech PK-720G webcam plugged into my USB port. It has a built in
> microphone. I managed to get skype to pick up the camera microphone input
> (using pulse audio manager), and the video works to some degree, but it
> shows a very dark image even when I am in a very well-lighted room.
>
> Skype says it is using A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA J(/dev/video0)
>
> If I run lsusb, the third line shows the following:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c40a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.
>
> Also, the lines related to video when I run lsmod show the following:
>
> uvcvideo               70281  0
> videodev               81448  1 uvcvideo
> v4l1_compat            17505  2 uvcvideo,videodev
> v4l2_compat_ioctl32    10573  1 videodev
>
> I don't really know what those indications mean, and I am kind of at a loss
> as to what to do next. I google searched for a driver that linux can use
> with this camera and couldn't find anything.
>
> How do I find a correct driver for this camera and what do I need to tweak
> to make it work right?

Well, to start with that camera uses UVC, so in theory it should "just
work" using the UVC drivers already installed on your computer.
But... I don't see that specific device (0ac8:c40a) here:
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/  not that that really means
anything... in most cases any UVC compliant webcam should "just work"
in Linux these days.

In other digging, it seems that webcams with that device ID are
working... for example:
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/RetailPlus

Have you tried it with another app like Kopete, Cheese etc?

You didn't say what version of openSUSE (and kernel) you're using...
that can have an impact, especially if you're using an older kernel.

C.

On 11/01/2011 03:38 PM, C wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 02:20, George OLson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I have an A4Tech PK-720G webcam plugged into my USB port. It has a built in
>> microphone. I managed to get skype to pick up the camera microphone input
>> (using pulse audio manager), and the video works to some degree, but it
>> shows a very dark image even when I am in a very well-lighted room.
>>
>> Skype says it is using A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA J(/dev/video0)
>>
>> If I run lsusb, the third line shows the following:
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c40a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.
>>
>> Also, the lines related to video when I run lsmod show the following:
>>
>> uvcvideo               70281  0
>> videodev               81448  1 uvcvideo
>> v4l1_compat            17505  2 uvcvideo,videodev
>> v4l2_compat_ioctl32    10573  1 videodev
>>
>> I don't really know what those indications mean, and I am kind of at a loss
>> as to what to do next. I google searched for a driver that linux can use
>> with this camera and couldn't find anything.
>>
>> How do I find a correct driver for this camera and what do I need to tweak
>> to make it work right?
>

> Well, to start with that camera uses UVC, so in theory it should "just
> work" using the UVC drivers already installed on your computer.
> But... I don't see that specific device (0ac8:c40a) here:
> http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/  not that that really means
> anything... in most cases any UVC compliant webcam should "just work"
> in Linux these days.
>
> In other digging, it seems that webcams with that device ID are
> working... for example:
> http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/RetailPlus
>
> Have you tried it with another app like Kopete, Cheese etc?
>
> You didn't say what version of openSUSE (and kernel) you're using...
> that can have an impact, especially if you're using an older kernel.
>
> C.

I am using openSUSE 11.4 and kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop.  Per your
suggestion, I just tried the camera with Kopete and Cheese, and they
both also portray a very dark image even though the room is well
lighted. I also have another webcam application, wxCam, and it also
portrays a very dark image.

However, the application webKam does not detect the camera at all.

Re: webcam video dark, maybe wrong driver?

Insomniactoo
On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 04:34 George OLson wrote:

> On 11/01/2011 03:38 PM, C wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 02:20, George OLson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> I have an A4Tech PK-720G webcam plugged into my USB port. It has a built
> >> in microphone. I managed to get skype to pick up the camera microphone
> >> input (using pulse audio manager), and the video works to some degree,
> >> but it shows a very dark image even when I am in a very well-lighted
> >> room.
> >>
> >> Skype says it is using A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA J(/dev/video0)
> >>
> >> If I run lsusb, the third line shows the following:
> >>
> >> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c40a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.
> >>
> >> Also, the lines related to video when I run lsmod show the following:
> >>
> >> uvcvideo               70281  0
> >> videodev               81448  1 uvcvideo
> >> v4l1_compat            17505  2 uvcvideo,videodev
> >> v4l2_compat_ioctl32    10573  1 videodev
> >>
> >> I don't really know what those indications mean, and I am kind of at a
> >> loss as to what to do next. I google searched for a driver that linux
> >> can use with this camera and couldn't find anything.
> >>
> >> How do I find a correct driver for this camera and what do I need to
> >> tweak to make it work right?
> >
> > Well, to start with that camera uses UVC, so in theory it should "just
> > work" using the UVC drivers already installed on your computer.
> > But... I don't see that specific device (0ac8:c40a) here:
> > http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/  not that that really means
> > anything... in most cases any UVC compliant webcam should "just work"
> > in Linux these days.
> >
> > In other digging, it seems that webcams with that device ID are
> > working... for example:
> > http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/RetailPlus
> >
> > Have you tried it with another app like Kopete, Cheese etc?
> >
> > You didn't say what version of openSUSE (and kernel) you're using...
> > that can have an impact, especially if you're using an older kernel.
> >
> > C.
>
> I am using openSUSE 11.4 and kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop.  Per your
> suggestion, I just tried the camera with Kopete and Cheese, and they
> both also portray a very dark image even though the room is well
> lighted. I also have another webcam application, wxCam, and it also
> portrays a very dark image.
>
> However, the application webKam does not detect the camera at all.

  They screwed up quite a few webcams when they 'fixed' some drivers in the kernel a few
years ago. Now we get to enjoy things like this! Be happy!

--
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of
those who look on and do nothing.  -Albert Einstein

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived.  -Isaac Asimov

Re: webcam video dark, maybe wrong driver?

Marco Calistri
On Tue 01 Nov 2011 at 7:34:39 (-0300 UTC) George OLson wrote:

> On 11/01/2011 03:38 PM, C wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 02:20, George OLson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I have an A4Tech PK-720G webcam plugged into my USB port. It has a
>>> built in
>>> microphone. I managed to get skype to pick up the camera microphone
>>> input
>>> (using pulse audio manager), and the video works to some degree, but it
>>> shows a very dark image even when I am in a very well-lighted room.
>>>
>>> Skype says it is using A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA J(/dev/video0)
>>>
>>> If I run lsusb, the third line shows the following:
>>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c40a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.
>>>
>>> Also, the lines related to video when I run lsmod show the following:
>>>
>>> uvcvideo               70281  0
>>> videodev               81448  1 uvcvideo
>>> v4l1_compat            17505  2 uvcvideo,videodev
>>> v4l2_compat_ioctl32    10573  1 videodev
>>>
>>> I don't really know what those indications mean, and I am kind of at
>>> a loss
>>> as to what to do next. I google searched for a driver that linux can use
>>> with this camera and couldn't find anything.
>>>
>>> How do I find a correct driver for this camera and what do I need to
>>> tweak
>>> to make it work right?
>>

>> Well, to start with that camera uses UVC, so in theory it should "just
>> work" using the UVC drivers already installed on your computer.
>> But... I don't see that specific device (0ac8:c40a) here:
>> http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/  not that that really means
>> anything... in most cases any UVC compliant webcam should "just work"
>> in Linux these days.
>>
>> In other digging, it seems that webcams with that device ID are
>> working... for example:
>> http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/RetailPlus
>>
>> Have you tried it with another app like Kopete, Cheese etc?
>>
>> You didn't say what version of openSUSE (and kernel) you're using...
>> that can have an impact, especially if you're using an older kernel.
>>
>> C.
>
> I am using openSUSE 11.4 and kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop.  Per your
> suggestion, I just tried the camera with Kopete and Cheese, and they
> both also portray a very dark image even though the room is well
> lighted. I also have another webcam application, wxCam, and it also
> portrays a very dark image.
>
> However, the application webKam does not detect the camera at all.

Does this camera works with other O.S. (Windows for example?).

It could be that the problem being an hardware failure inside the camera.

Marco Calistri
http://mcalistri.blogspot.com

On 11/01/2011 06:03 PM, C wrote:
> Since you see an image, and the problem is it's very dark, you might
> be able to just fix it by adjusting the gamma.  You can install/use
> v4l2ucp to do this... I "think" it will do the job.  I don't know the
> CLI stuff to tweak the gamma for that cam... and v4l2ucp usually does
> the job.  It's in the openSUSE repos somewhere.  You can read about it
> here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/v4l2ucp/
>
> C.

Ok, I installed the v4l2ucp application, and it works! Thanks! That made
things easy.

I now have a follow up question, though. Cheese and wxCam do not allow
any change in audio settings, so on capture video it only does video,
and will not capture the audio with it.

Is there a better program that will allow simultaneous video and audio
capture? I have tried kdenlive, and could not find a video capture
setting on it.

Re: webcam video dark, maybe wrong driver?

Carl Hartung-2
On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:10:38 +0800
George OLson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/01/2011 06:03 PM, C wrote:
> > Since you see an image, and the problem is it's very dark, you might
> > be able to just fix it by adjusting the gamma.  You can install/use
> > v4l2ucp to do this... I "think" it will do the job.  I don't know
> > the CLI stuff to tweak the gamma for that cam... and v4l2ucp
> > usually does the job.  It's in the openSUSE repos somewhere.  You
> > can read about it here:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/v4l2ucp/
> >
> > C.
>
> Ok, I installed the v4l2ucp application, and it works! Thanks! That
> made things easy.
>
> I now have a follow up question, though. Cheese and wxCam do not
> allow any change in audio settings, so on capture video it only does
> video, and will not capture the audio with it.
>
> Is there a better program that will allow simultaneous video and
> audio capture? I have tried kdenlive, and could not find a video
> capture setting on it.

You might want to try 'padsp', part of pulseaudio-utils

For example, on my system, xvidcap on it's own does not record system
sound. When invoked via commandline as 'padsp xvidcap &' recording
system sound is possible and the pulse audio volume contols work to
adjust levels, etc.

hth & regards,

Carl