video download helper

Dave Howorth-3
I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.

There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.

The VDH support method appears to be a google group - I don't have a
google account and don't intend to get one.

I'm on leap 42.3, FF is the standard 52.5.3, VDH tells me it is 7.1.0
(and FF says no updates are available). I have apparently at some point
installed net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.0-1_amd64.tar.gz (my PC has an
Intel processor but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding tar) and I
must have run setup-linux-user.sh because my .mozilla directory
contains the appropriate json file. But VDH settings, in the 'Verifying
Companion App…' section, has a grey 'Recheck' button and a blue
'Install Companion App' button, whatever that means.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Re: video download helper

gumb
On 26/01/18 02:52, Dave Howorth wrote:

> I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.
>
> There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
> https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
> and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
> select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
> but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
> console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
> There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.

> Any suggestions are welcome.

I've always found the VDH interface weird and unintuitive. I still have
it installed on another account but I switched to using "YouTube Video
and Audio Downloader" a while ago which I prefer. The main drawback is
that it seems to be strictly limited to YouTube and doesn't work on
certain other video sites like VDL does.

gumb

Re: video download helper

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-26 03:20, gumb wrote:

> On 26/01/18 02:52, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.
>>
>> There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
>> https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
>>
>> and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
>> select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
>> but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
>> console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
>> There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.
>

>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>

> I've always found the VDH interface weird and unintuitive. I still have
> it installed on another account but I switched to using "YouTube Video
> and Audio Downloader" a while ago which I prefer. The main drawback is
> that it seems to be strictly limited to YouTube and doesn't work on
> certain other video sites like VDL does.
I use the CLI, "youtube-dl".

cer@Telcontar:~/tmp> youtube-dl "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw"
[youtube] UDm8zTlP-mw: Downloading webpage
[youtube] UDm8zTlP-mw: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] UDm8zTlP-mw: Extracting video information
WARNING: Requested formats are incompatible for merge and will be merged into mkv.
[download] Destination: Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.f136.mp4
[download] 100% of 14.02MiB in 00:46
[download] Destination: Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.f251.webm
[download] 100% of 1.96MiB in 00:24
[ffmpeg] Merging formats into "Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.mkv"
Deleting original file Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.f136.mp4 (pass -k to keep)
Deleting original file Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.f251.webm (pass -k to keep)
cer@Telcontar:~/tmp>

Got this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 cer users 16730627 Mar 11  2015 Jocly-JoclyGames-Jocly HTML5 3D games-UDm8zTlP-mw.mkv

which plays fine in VLC and xine.

(defaults changed in ~/.config/youtube-dl.conf)

Re: video download helper

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [01-25-18 20:53]:

> I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.
>
> There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
> https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
> and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
> select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
> but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
> console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
> There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.
>
> The VDH support method appears to be a google group - I don't have a
> google account and don't intend to get one.
>
> I'm on leap 42.3, FF is the standard 52.5.3, VDH tells me it is 7.1.0
> (and FF says no updates are available). I have apparently at some point
> installed net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.0-1_amd64.tar.gz (my PC has an
> Intel processor but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding tar) and I
> must have run setup-linux-user.sh because my .mozilla directory
> contains the appropriate json file. But VDH settings, in the 'Verifying
> Companion App…' section, has a grey 'Recheck' button and a blue
> 'Install Companion App' button, whatever that means.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

I have good luck with youtube-dl

Re: video download helper

Anton Aylward-2
On 25/01/18 10:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I use the CLI, "youtube-dl".

+1

--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: video download helper

Basil Chupin-2
On 26/01/18 12:52, Dave Howorth wrote:

> I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.
>
> There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
> https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
> and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
> select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
> but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
> console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
> There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.
>
> The VDH support method appears to be a google group - I don't have a
> google account and don't intend to get one.
>
> I'm on leap 42.3, FF is the standard 52.5.3, VDH tells me it is 7.1.0
> (and FF says no updates are available). I have apparently at some point
> installed net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.0-1_amd64.tar.gz (my PC has an
> Intel processor but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding tar) and I
> must have run setup-linux-user.sh because my .mozilla directory
> contains the appropriate json file. But VDH settings, in the 'Verifying
> Companion App…' section, has a grey 'Recheck' button and a blue
> 'Install Companion App' button, whatever that means.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

Whether or not Video Downloadhelper 'works' for you depends on the
version of FF you are using.

For the current FF in 42.3 you need to install an earlier version of VDH.

Go to Get Addons and lookup VDH -- it author explains why VDH may not
work for you and which version you need.

(The situation with Addons is even worse when it comes to the version of
FF which is in TW :-(.)

BC

--
Always be nice to people on your way up -- you'll see
the same people on your way down.

Re: video download helper

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> [01-28-18 00:21]:

> On 26/01/18 12:52, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.
> >
> > There is an icon in the toolbar and when I go to the test page
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm8zTlP-mw as suggested by
> > https://www.downloadhelper.net/howto#how-to-verify-video-downloadhelper-is-working
> > and click on the icon, a list of videos pops up. If I choose one and
> > select download, VDH opens a window with a title and X inside the window
> > but no other content. There's nothing related to VDH in the browser
> > console that I can see though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for.
> > There seem to be no videos downloaded anywhere.
> >
> > The VDH support method appears to be a google group - I don't have a
> > google account and don't intend to get one.
> >
> > I'm on leap 42.3, FF is the standard 52.5.3, VDH tells me it is 7.1.0
> > (and FF says no updates are available). I have apparently at some point
> > installed net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.0-1_amd64.tar.gz (my PC has an
> > Intel processor but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding tar) and I
> > must have run setup-linux-user.sh because my .mozilla directory
> > contains the appropriate json file. But VDH settings, in the 'Verifying
> > Companion App…' section, has a grey 'Recheck' button and a blue
> > 'Install Companion App' button, whatever that means.
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Whether or not Video Downloadhelper 'works' for you depends on the
> version of FF you are using.
>
> For the current FF in 42.3 you need to install an earlier version of VDH.
>
> Go to Get Addons and lookup VDH -- it author explains why VDH may not
> work for you and which version you need.
>
> (The situation with Addons is even worse when it comes to the version of
> FF which is in TW :-(.)

and youtube-dl is *frequently* updated and appears to "just work".

Re: video download helper

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-28 13:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Basil Chupin <> [01-28-18 00:21]:
>> On 26/01/18 12:52, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use video download helper without much success.

>>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> Whether or not Video Downloadhelper 'works' for you depends on the
>> version of FF you are using.
>>
>> For the current FF in 42.3 you need to install an earlier version of VDH.
>>
>> Go to Get Addons and lookup VDH -- it author explains why VDH may not
>> work for you and which version you need.
>>
>> (The situation with Addons is even worse when it comes to the version of
>> FF which is in TW :-(.)
>
> and youtube-dl is *frequently* updated and appears to "just work".
And it works on other sites that are not youtube :-)