upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dennis Gallien
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:53:25 AM EST Per Jessen wrote:
> Dennis Gallien wrote:
.
.
.

> > My admittedly simplistic solution was to deinstall all the packages
> > which cleanly reverted the system to nouveau.  X under KDE Plasma then
> > worked fine. I reinstalled the packages from the repository and all
> > was well.
>
> I might try that too.
>
> > I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party repo's
> > before upgrade.
>
> I think I actually ran the upgrade withy just that - nvidia repo
> disabled.  I'm not sure that was a good idea.

Understood.  The nvidia package seems to do a good job now of moving nouveau
out/in with installation/deinstallation (although that wasn't so at 42.3
release; but the package has since been fixed).  And no more fiddling with
xorg.conf, too.  I've had problems with these drivers and system upgrades more
than a few times over the years.  Now I'm sticking with Occam's razor.  :)

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Basil Chupin-2
On 31/01/18 14:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-31 02:50, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
>>> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
>>> by now :-(
>> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade -- too
>> much f*-around otherwise.
> I have been doing upgrades for two decades, and I still find it
> preferable :-)

Horses for courses. I'll stay with clean installs -- no baggage to carry
over to the new version.

> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled - but
>> was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?
> The nvidia driver is not loaded from initrd, but much later. And in the
> rpm case, the compilation happens during installation.
>
> Anyway, his issue is not related to the driver, as startx works fine, he
> gets a desktop.

The SUBJECT header says it all -- and I get this (black screen) when I
reboot after compiling the nVidia driver and forgetting to run mkinitrd.

BC

--
Always be nice to people on your way up -- you'll see
the same people on your way down.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-02-02 06:18, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 31/01/18 14:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade -- too
>>> much f*-around otherwise.
>> I have been doing upgrades for two decades, and I still find it
>> preferable :-)
>
> Horses for courses. I'll stay with clean installs -- no baggage to carry
> over to the new version.

No time lost having to decide what else to install besides the default list, and what to configure
and how. No fstab editing, network, hosts, dns server, postfix, amavis, mysql, apache... :-)

>> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled - but
>>> was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?
>> The nvidia driver is not loaded from initrd, but much later. And in the
>> rpm case, the compilation happens during installation.
>>
>> Anyway, his issue is not related to the driver, as startx works fine, he
>> gets a desktop.
>
> The SUBJECT header says it all -- and I get this (black screen) when I
> reboot after compiling the nVidia driver and forgetting to run mkinitrd.

Yes, but the driver was working perfectly. The software was ordering the display to be black :-P

It was the display manager which failed.

No need to compile and run mkinitrd if driver comes in an rpm, besides :-)

                (from oS 42.3 "Malachite" (rescate 1))

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [02-02-18 06:34]:

> On 2018-02-02 06:18, Basil Chupin wrote:

> >> I have been doing upgrades for two decades, and I still find it
> >> preferable :-)
> >
> > Horses for courses. I'll stay with clean installs -- no baggage to carry
> > over to the new version.
>
> No time lost having to decide what else to install besides the default list, and what to configure
> and how. No fstab editing, network, hosts, dns server, postfix, amavis, mysql, apache... :-)
>

> >> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled - but
> >> The nvidia driver is not loaded from initrd, but much later. And in the
> >> rpm case, the compilation happens during installation.
> >>
> >> Anyway, his issue is not related to the driver, as startx works fine, he
> >> gets a desktop.
> >
> > The SUBJECT header says it all -- and I get this (black screen) when I
> > reboot after compiling the nVidia driver and forgetting to run mkinitrd.
>
> Yes, but the driver was working perfectly. The software was ordering the display to be black :-P
>
> It was the display manager which failed.
>
> No need to compile and run mkinitrd if driver comes in an rpm, besides :-)

there is no need to run mkinitrd if installing the NVI...run package
either if you:  "sh NV...run -aqs --install-libglvnd"