upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Liam Proven
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:08:10 +0100
Per Jessen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> b) instead of a GUI login screen, I get a black screen with a mouse
> pointer.

I have had this, on Tumbleweed. I am not using any proprietary graphics drivers.

I found that it was due to my display manager not starting.

I switched to the very basic ``xdm'' display manager, and this now works fine.

Prior to a suggestion from a colleague which pointed me in the right direction, I spent a couple of weeks hitting alt-F1, logging in at the console and then running ``startx'' every day.

xdm is plain but it does all I need, which isn't much…

Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:
>
>>> The only difference are in:
>>>
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="davepl"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="all"   (mine says auto).
>>>

>> As peter also suggested, try changing AUTOLOGIN to your user name.
>> Dave P
>
> Interesting - that worked!  Not a solution of course, but still.

When the screen locked, I got the message "screen locker is broken
blablah".  ISTR that from earlier, but in conclusion this is just not a
candidate for a working office system.  People don't want to change the
interface or window manager willy-nilly, they depend on the interface
remaining the same and consistent.  Well, that's why this is a test
system.

Tomorrow I'll try a fresh leap423 install on separate media.

Many thanks to everyone who chipped in!  I'm really quite overwhelmed by
the number of suggestions and speed of follow-up.  Chapeau!

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dennis Gallien
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:08:10 AM EST Per Jessen wrote:

> I can probably figure (a) out in time, but I'm a little stuck with (b).
> I'm using the Nvidia drivers, they worked fine on 42.2.
>
> Suggestions on how to proceed with (b) much welcome.

I have an nvidia 9800GTX, and the same thing happened in my DVD upgrade last
week.  I had switched the nvidia repo to 42.3 and enabled it.  Logging on with
a different display manager, I discovered that YaST had not upgraded the
packages consistently, and had actually switched 2 of the 5 to the 04 driver
(my card uses the 03).

My admittedly simplistic solution was to deinstall all the packages which
cleanly reverted the system to nouveau.  X under KDE Plasma then worked fine.
I reinstalled the packages from the repository and all was well.

Btw, I had similar problems due to my also keeping several build service
repo's enabled (after switching them to 42.3 of course).  With these, YaST
actually pulled in newer versions of OSS packages from those repo's instead of
from the OSS repo.  Made quite a mess which was a royal PITA to repair.

I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party repo's before
upgrade.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Peter Suetterlin-2
Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:
>
> >> The only difference are in:
> >>
> >> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="davepl"
> >> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="all"   (mine says auto).
> >>

> > As peter also suggested, try changing AUTOLOGIN to your user name.
> > Dave P
>
> Interesting - that worked!  Not a solution of course, but still.

It confirms that the displaymanager is the issue.

So switching to some other DM should be a quick solution.

One of the reasons I found for sddm to not properly work was a missing directory
/var/lib/sddm/ and/or bad settings in there.  Maybe check if it's there, create
it if not, and if yes, try renaming and creating an empty new one?

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Basil Chupin-2
On 31/01/18 02:25, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
>> display manager.
> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
> by now :-(

Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade -- too
much f*-around otherwise.

BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled - but
was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?

BC

--
Always be nice to people on your way up -- you'll see
the same people on your way down.

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-31 02:50, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 31/01/18 02:25, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
>>> display manager.
>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
>> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
>> by now :-(
>
> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade -- too
> much f*-around otherwise.
I have been doing upgrades for two decades, and I still find it
preferable :-)

> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled - but
> was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?

The nvidia driver is not loaded from initrd, but much later. And in the
rpm case, the compilation happens during installation.

Anyway, his issue is not related to the driver, as startx works fine, he
gets a desktop.

Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 31/01/18 02:25, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
>>> display manager.
>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe
>> I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the
>> problem by now :-(
>
> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade -- too
> much f*-around otherwise.

Well, it ought to work, it's being tested and QA'ed.  When it works, it
also means less work overall.

> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled -
> but was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?

Oh yes.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-31 02:50, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe
>>> I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the
>>> problem by now :-(
>>
>> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade --
>> too much f*-around otherwise.
>
> I have been doing upgrades for two decades, and I still find it
> preferable :-)
>

>> BTW, I saw that you mentioned that the Nvidia driver was compiled -
>> but was 'mkinitrd' run after the compilation?
>
> The nvidia driver is not loaded from initrd, but much later. And in
> the rpm case, the compilation happens during installation.
>
> Anyway, his issue is not related to the driver, as startx works fine,
> he gets a desktop.

Yup.  It seems to be down to sddm now.  It won't let me login manually
and it cannot lock properly.
I'm going to try a fresh install today.  I just can't be certain that
the update didn't screw something up, I guess?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:

>> > As peter also suggested, try changing AUTOLOGIN to your user name.
>> > Dave P
>>
>> Interesting - that worked!  Not a solution of course, but still.
>
> It confirms that the displaymanager is the issue.
>
> So switching to some other DM should be a quick solution.

Yeah, but I'd rather have the right solution - this is a test system,
it's been running 42.1 and 42.2 - someday, we hope to have a
config/combination that is ready for plain office use.

> One of the reasons I found for sddm to not properly work was a missing
> directory /var/lib/sddm/ and/or bad settings in there.  Maybe check if
> it's there, create it if not, and if yes, try renaming and creating an
> empty new one?

I'll try that - the directory is present and populated.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.8°C)

Per Jessen wrote:

> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>
>> Per Jessen wrote:

>>> Interesting - that worked!  Not a solution of course, but still.
>>
>> It confirms that the displaymanager is the issue.
>>
>> So switching to some other DM should be a quick solution.
>
> Yeah, but I'd rather have the right solution - this is a test system,
> it's been running 42.1 and 42.2 - someday, we hope to have a
> config/combination that is ready for plain office use.
>
>> One of the reasons I found for sddm to not properly work was a
>> missing
>> directory /var/lib/sddm/ and/or bad settings in there.  Maybe check
>> if it's there, create it if not, and if yes, try renaming and
>> creating an empty new one?
>
> I'll try that - the directory is present and populated.

I cleared it out, no change.  I'm installing a fresh 42.3 now.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.2°C)

Dennis Gallien wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:08:10 AM EST Per Jessen wrote:
>>

>> I can probably figure (a) out in time, but I'm a little stuck with
>> (b). I'm using the Nvidia drivers, they worked fine on 42.2.
>>
>> Suggestions on how to proceed with (b) much welcome.
>>

> I have an nvidia 9800GTX, and the same thing happened in my DVD
> upgrade last week.  I had switched the nvidia repo to 42.3 and enabled
> it.  Logging on with a different display manager, I discovered that
> YaST had not upgraded the packages consistently, and had actually
> switched 2 of the 5 to the 04 driver (my card uses the 03).

Mine also uses the 03 - quadro fx 4600.

> My admittedly simplistic solution was to deinstall all the packages
> which cleanly reverted the system to nouveau.  X under KDE Plasma then
> worked fine. I reinstalled the packages from the repository and all
> was well.

I might try that too.

> I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party repo's
> before upgrade.

I think I actually ran the upgrade withy just that - nvidia repo
disabled.  I'm not sure that was a good idea.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.2°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Per Jessen wrote:

> Yup.  It seems to be down to sddm now.  It won't let me login manually
> and it cannot lock properly.

The guess is clearly some permission thing I'd say.  Finding out *what* it is
would be nice (I'd expect a new install to work w/o issues...)

One thing I noticed on my TW machine is that 'journalctl -u display-manager'
doesn't give you all sddm-related messages.  I did a 'journalctl -b | grep sddm'
and got quite some more messages.

> I'm going to try a fresh install today.  I just can't be certain that
> the update didn't screw something up, I guess?

Afraid so.  Good luck :)

You can of course do a disk compare between the upgraded and the new system -
IIRC there had been an extensive thread about that recently :D

Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Yup.  It seems to be down to sddm now.  It won't let me login
>> manually and it cannot lock properly.
>
> The guess is clearly some permission thing I'd say.  Finding out
> *what* it is would be nice (I'd expect a new install to work w/o
> issues...)

Here is perhaps a hint - when I booted with autologin, and the GUI is
started, I did notice an error popup saying Plasma5 could not be
started|initialised|created, due to some issue with libGL 2 ?

> One thing I noticed on my TW machine is that 'journalctl -u
> display-manager'
> doesn't give you all sddm-related messages.  I did a 'journalctl -b |
> grep sddm' and got quite some more messages.
>
>> I'm going to try a fresh install today.  I just can't be certain that
>> the update didn't screw something up, I guess?
>
> Afraid so.  Good luck :)
>
> You can of course do a disk compare between the upgraded and the new
> system - IIRC there had been an extensive thread about that recently
> :D

Hehe, good one!

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.7°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Per Jessen wrote:
> Dennis Gallien wrote:
>
> > I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party repo's
> > before upgrade.
>
> I think I actually ran the upgrade withy just that - nvidia repo
> disabled.  I'm not sure that was a good idea.

Hmm, together with the comment about the libGL error - maybe that's some GL
libraries of the nvidia package overwritten by the update?
Did you do a forced re-install of all nvidia packages?

For my 42.2->42.3 update I had left nvidia enabled...

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst

On 31/01/2018 11:39, Per Jessen wrote:
> Here is perhaps a hint - when I booted with autologin, and the GUI is
> started, I did notice an error popup saying Plasma5 could not be
> started|initialised|created, due to some issue with libGL 2 ?
Sorry I'm late, this I would definitely nuke nvidia and then boot with
noveau. Then reinstall nvidia from scratch.

Dave P

On 2018-01-31 11:33, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Dennis Gallien wrote:
>>
>>> I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party repo's
>>> before upgrade.
>>
>> I think I actually ran the upgrade withy just that - nvidia repo
>> disabled.  I'm not sure that was a good idea.
>
> Hmm, together with the comment about the libGL error - maybe that's some GL
> libraries of the nvidia package overwritten by the update?
> Did you do a forced re-install of all nvidia packages?
>
> For my 42.2->42.3 update I had left nvidia enabled...
I also left all repos enabled, went fine (with some work). However, I do
not use zypper dup, but the offline method.

For enabling the repos with the offline method it is necesary before
booting the DVD to edit the files in  "/etc/zypp/repos.d/" comfortably
with your preferred editor, or sed script whatever (except the official
ones like "oss"). Doing the changes during the actual install is
uncomfortable.

Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Dennis Gallien wrote:
>>
>> > I'll be returning to my old practice of disabling all 3rd-party
>> > repo's before upgrade.
>>
>> I think I actually ran the upgrade withy just that - nvidia repo
>> disabled.  I'm not sure that was a good idea.
>
> Hmm, together with the comment about the libGL error - maybe that's
> some GL libraries of the nvidia package overwritten by the update?
> Did you do a forced re-install of all nvidia packages?

I did afterwards, yes.

> For my 42.2->42.3 update I had left nvidia enabled...

I have a nagging feeling I should have too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.6°C)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2018-01-31 at 09:17 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Which is why I now always do a fresh install and not an upgrade --
>>> too much f*-around otherwise.
>>
>> Well, it ought to work, it's being tested and QA'ed.  When it works,
>> it also means less work overall.
>
> Upgrades are also tested.

Yes, that's I what meant by "it".

--