upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Carlos E. R.-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:11 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

> Patrick Shanahan wrote:

>>>> so you are not in multi-user
>>>>
>>>> # ls -la /usr/bin/Xorg
>>>> -rws--x--x 1 root root 2402448 Jan 20 08:54 /usr/bin/Xorg*
>>>>
>>>> is Xorg suid?
>>>
>>> Nope:
>>>
>>> # l /usr/bin/Xorg
>>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2205856 Oct 16 21:21 /usr/bin/Xorg*
>>
>> as root, chmod +s /usr/bin/Xorg
>>
>> and your login screen will appear
>
> Will try it - on 42.2, /usr/bin/Xorg doesn't have suid either though.
>
> Just tried it, rebooted, still just black screen with mouse pointer.

Afaik Xork suid is only needed in order to be able to do startx as plain
user, not in level5 which handles the permissions in a different manner.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.
        (from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iEYEARECAAYFAlpwi+gACgkQtTMYHG2NR9UMvwCghLXTeejLXpICLyynkNAFmzeT
gxYAoI3a/X4UTp//iDvyBzYJBpaEXRQm
=h81z
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
> %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
> %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n"  \
> | sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist   \
> | egrep -v "openSUSE\ Leap\ 42\.3|openSUSE_Leap_42\.3" | less -S

Do you see anything odd:

# rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
>     %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
>     %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n"  \
>    | sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist   \
>    | egrep -v "openSUSE\ Leap\ 42\.3|openSUSE_Leap_42\.3"
Sun Dec 04 2016     Mon May 05 2014 gpg-pubkey                                 3dbdc284-53674dd4        (none)                        (none)openSUSE Project Signing Key <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
Sun Dec 04 2016     Tue May 04 2010 gpg-pubkey                                 307e3d54-4be01a65        (none)                        (none)SuSE Package Signing Key <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
Sat Feb 04 2017     Thu Jun 15 2006 gpg-pubkey                                 c66b6eae-4491871e        (none)                        (none)NVIDIA Corporation <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-devel                                4.4.104-18.44.1 noarch                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)
Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-default-devel                        4.4.104-18.44.1 x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)
Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-default                              4.4.104-18.44.1 x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)
Thu Jan 25 2018     Sat Aug 13 2016 gpg-pubkey                                 23312922-57af6dd8        (none)                        (none)home:wolfi323 OBS Project <home:[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
Tue Jan 30 2018     Tue Jul 11 2017 unrar                                         5.5.5-4.1     x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE:Leap:42.3:NonFree (none)
Tue Jan 30 2018     Tue Jul 11 2017 gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3                       21-2.9     x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE:Leap:42.3:NonFree (none)



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.3°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Peter Suetterlin-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen
Per Jessen wrote:
> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
> >
> > Are the home directories coming from nfs?
>
> No, they're just two separate data directories.  I would love to
> have /home on NFS, but our client base is too varied.

OK.  Thought it might be timeouts looking for user info...

>
> >> I can probably figure (a) out in time, but I'm a little stuck with
> >> (b). I'm using the Nvidia drivers, they worked fine on 42.2.
> >
> > Any obvious errors in /var/log/Xorg.log?
> > I did a similar dup upgrade some time ago, including nvidia repo, and
> > that worked fine.
>
> That sounds good.  I have posted Xorg.0.log here -
>
> http://files.jessen.ch/office37-Xorg.0.log.txt
>
> The only suspicious lines I spotted were these two:
>
> [   130.685] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version
> 1.4: Permission denied
> [   130.935] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version
> 1.4: Permission denied

Those are harmless - I also get them from my (optimus) nvidia card on the
laptop.  Seems they only support a lower version...

> >> Suggestions on how to proceed with (b) much welcome.
> >
> > Console login and start X manually?
>
> X seems to be started - I have a mouse pointer and 'startx' says it is
> running.

Yes, the Cursor suggested that -(that's why I suspected some net related timeout).

> > As for NFS: can you 'showmount -e <server>' from that machine
> > (console)?
>
> # showmount -e rainbow
> Export list for rainbow:
> /srv/nfsroot/zotac1    192.168.3.67>
....
> The two directories are under /home.  The IPv6 address listed is not
> valid for this system, so the mount should just fall back to ipv4, but
> it doesn't.  

But somewhat suspicious.  Can you disable ipv6?
There were some bugreports about the ipv4 fallback not working.
Can you try with mount option proto=tcp?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>
>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>
> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
> display manager.

That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
by now :-(



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.0°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Peter Suetterlin-2
Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> >
> >> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >>
> >>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
> >>
> >> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
> >
> > Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
> > display manager.
>
> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
> by now :-(

:(
Can you just change the display manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager?
(or has that one been actually changed to something not installed)?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst
In reply to this post by Per Jessen


On 30/01/2018 17:25, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>
>>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>>
>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>>
>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
>> display manager.
>
> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
> by now :-(
>
>
>
What display manager do you have installed, if you run plasma5 kde you
should have sddm. Maybe uninstalling one and then installing something
like lightdm will fix the problem. My upgrade from 42.2 to 42.3 went
smoothly but I have intel graphics, I had an nvidia card in the box when
I originally installed 42.1 but I had so much hassle I removed it.
At this stage I would purge everything nvidia from the machine and start
again but maybe switching display managers will pull in the package
that's missing.
Dave P

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst
In reply to this post by Per Jessen


On 30/01/2018 17:22, Per Jessen wrote:
> ue Jan 30 2018     Tue Jul 11 2017 gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3

Remove this since the mp3 patent expired, it will never be needed again.
Won't fix your display though.

Dave P

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Peter Suetterlin-2
Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>> > On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>> >
>> >> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>> >>
>> >> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>> >
>> > Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is
>> > the display manager.
>>
>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe
>> I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the
>> problem by now :-(
>
> :(
> Can you just change the display manager in
> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager? (or has that one been actually changed
> to something not installed)?

That file was in fact touched today, contains this:

DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.9°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst


On 30/01/2018 17:38, Per Jessen wrote:

> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>
>> Per Jessen wrote:
>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>>>>
>>>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>>>>
>>>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is
>>>> the display manager.
>>>
>>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe
>>> I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the
>>> problem by now :-(
>>
>> :(
>> Can you just change the display manager in
>> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager? (or has that one been actually changed
>> to something not installed)?
>
> That file was in fact touched today, contains this:
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"
>
>
>
I've never touched mine, it still contains comments.
attaching mine, maybe it'll help
Dave P

displaymanager (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Peter Suetterlin-2
Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>> >
>> > As for NFS: can you 'showmount -e <server>' from that machine
>> > (console)?
>>
>> # showmount -e rainbow
>> Export list for rainbow:
>> /srv/nfsroot/zotac1    192.168.3.67>
> ....
>> The two directories are under /home.  The IPv6 address listed is not
>> valid for this system, so the mount should just fall back to ipv4,
>> but it doesn't.
>
> But somewhat suspicious.  Can you disable ipv6?
> There were some bugreports about the ipv4 fallback not working.

That would be terrible.  I guess I could try booting with ipv6 disabled
altogether.  

> Can you try with mount option proto=tcp?

with nfsv4 that's the default, but I can try.

 

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.4°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Peter Suetterlin-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen
Per Jessen wrote:

> That file was in fact touched today, contains this:
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"

Looks fie to me.
You could try set AUTOLOGIN to some username, maybe this bypasses some issues?

Also, any errors in journalctl -u display-manager?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Peter Suetterlin-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen
Per Jessen wrote:
> Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> > Can you try with mount option proto=tcp?
>
> with nfsv4 that's the default, but I can try.

I know, but this enforces ipv4 and circumvents issues with malfunctioning
fallback...

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Dave Plater lst
Dave Plater wrote:

>
>
> On 30/01/2018 17:38, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>>
>>> Per Jessen wrote:
>>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>>>>>
>>>>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is
>>>>> the display manager.
>>>>
>>>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.
>>>> Maybe I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed
>>>> the problem by now :-(
>>>
>>> :(
>>> Can you just change the display manager in
>>> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager? (or has that one been actually
>>> changed to something not installed)?
>>
>> That file was in fact touched today, contains this:
>>
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"
>>
>>
>>
>
> I've never touched mine, it still contains comments.

I grepped the comments and the blank lines before posting. :-)

The only difference are in:

DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="davepl"
DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="all"   (mine says auto).


--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.8°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Peter Suetterlin-2
Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> That file was in fact touched today, contains this:
>>
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"
>
> Looks fie to me.
> You could try set AUTOLOGIN to some username, maybe this bypasses some
> issues?

Will try it.

 
> Also, any errors in journalctl -u display-manager?

Looks okay, but I'm no expert:

office37:~ # journalctl -u display-manager
-- Logs begin at Tue 2018-01-30 16:17:24 CET, end at Tue 2018-01-30 16:47:28 CET. --
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 systemd[1]: Starting X Display Manager...
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 display-manager[1871]: /etc/vconsole.conf available
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 display-manager[1871]: KEYMAP: us
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 display-manager[1871]: Command: localectl set-keymap us
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 display-manager[1871]: I: Using systemd /usr/share/systemd/kbd-model-map mapping
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 sddm[1930]: Initializing...
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 sddm[1930]: Starting...
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 sddm[1930]: Adding new display on vt 7 ...
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 sddm[1930]: Display server starting...
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 sddm[1930]: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /run/sddm/{77fd7d09-95f9-4a93-a1c9-cc56daed4007} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18 vt7
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 display-manager[1871]: Starting service sddm..done
Jan 30 16:17:58 office37 systemd[1]: Started X Display Manager.
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Setting default cursor
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Running display setup script  "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup"
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Display server started.
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Socket server starting...
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Socket server started.
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Greeter starting...
Jan 30 16:17:59 office37 sddm[1930]: Adding cookie to "/run/sddm/{77fd7d09-95f9-4a93-a1c9-cc56daed4007}"
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm-helper[2052]: [PAM] Starting...
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm-helper[2052]: [PAM] Authenticating...
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm-helper[2052]: [PAM] returning.
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm-helper[2052]: pam_unix(sddm-greeter:session): session opened for user sddm by (uid=0)
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm[1930]: Greeter session started successfully
Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm[1930]: Message received from greeter: Connect
Jan 30 16:18:01 office37 sddm[1930]: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 6
Jan 30 16:18:01 office37 sddm[1930]: Greeter stopped.



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.7°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst
In reply to this post by Per Jessen


On 30/01/2018 17:51, Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On 30/01/2018 17:38, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>>>
>>>> Per Jessen wrote:
>>>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is
>>>>>> the display manager.
>>>>>
>>>>> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.
>>>>> Maybe I should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed
>>>>> the problem by now :-(
>>>>
>>>> :(
>>>> Can you just change the display manager in
>>>> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager? (or has that one been actually
>>>> changed to something not installed)?
>>>
>>> That file was in fact touched today, contains this:
>>>
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=Xorg
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE="no"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN=""
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="no"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AD_INTEGRATION="no"
>>> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="auto"
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I've never touched mine, it still contains comments.
>
> I grepped the comments and the blank lines before posting. :-)
>
> The only difference are in:
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="davepl"
> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="all"   (mine says auto).
>
>
As peter also suggested, try changing AUTOLOGIN to your user name.
Dave P

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Peter Suetterlin-2
Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>
>> > Can you try with mount option proto=tcp?
>>
>> with nfsv4 that's the default, but I can try.
>
> I know, but this enforces ipv4 and circumvents issues with
> malfunctioning fallback...

Remarkable - yes, it worked with proto=tcp:

mount -o proto=tcp -t nfs4 rainbow:/home/hostsuisse /mnt

I see a bugreport coming up.


--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Dave Plater lst
In reply to this post by Per Jessen


On 30/01/2018 17:53, Per Jessen wrote:
> Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm-helper[2052]: pam_unix(sddm-greeter:session): session opened for user sddm by (uid=0)
> Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm[1930]: Greeter session started successfully
> Jan 30 16:18:00 office37 sddm[1930]: Message received from greeter: Connect
> Jan 30 16:18:01 office37 sddm[1930]: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 6
> Jan 30 16:18:01 office37 sddm[1930]: Greeter stopped.
>
Everything is identical to my log from this morning except for the
autologin stuff.
Jan 30 06:41:41 arbuthnot sddm[2411]: Authenticated successfully
Jan 30 06:41:41 arbuthnot sddm-helper[2435]:
pam_unix(sddm-autologin:session): session opened for user davepl by (uid=0)
Jan 30 06:41:42 arbuthnot sddm[2411]: Session started

Dave P

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Per Jessen
In reply to this post by Dave Plater lst
Dave Plater wrote:

>> The only difference are in:
>>
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="davepl"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="all"   (mine says auto).
>>
>>
> As peter also suggested, try changing AUTOLOGIN to your user name.
> Dave P

Interesting - that worked!  Not a solution of course, but still.  



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.5°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen
On 2018-01-30 16:22, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
>> %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
>> %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n"  \
>> | sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist   \
>> | egrep -v "openSUSE\ Leap\ 42\.3|openSUSE_Leap_42\.3" | less -S
>
> Do you see anything odd:
>
> # rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
>>     %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
>>     %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n"  \
>>    | sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist   \
>>    | egrep -v "openSUSE\ Leap\ 42\.3|openSUSE_Leap_42\.3"
> Sun Dec 04 2016     Mon May 05 2014 gpg-pubkey                                 3dbdc284-53674dd4        (none)                        (none)openSUSE Project Signing Key <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
> Sun Dec 04 2016     Tue May 04 2010 gpg-pubkey                                 307e3d54-4be01a65        (none)                        (none)SuSE Package Signing Key <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
> Sat Feb 04 2017     Thu Jun 15 2006 gpg-pubkey                                 c66b6eae-4491871e        (none)                        (none)NVIDIA Corporation <[hidden email]> == (none) (none)
I have some much older. Apparently they stay for ever.

> Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-devel                                4.4.104-18.44.1 noarch                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)
> Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-default-devel                        4.4.104-18.44.1 x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)
> Wed Jan 24 2018     Thu Jan 04 2018 kernel-default                              4.4.104-18.44.1 x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE Leap 42.2 (none)

These will be purged out eventually, as other kernel updates come and
are applied. Or you can remove manually if you wish.

> Thu Jan 25 2018     Sat Aug 13 2016 gpg-pubkey                                 23312922-57af6dd8        (none)                        (none)home:wolfi323 OBS Project <home:[hidden email]> == (none) (none)

No issue

> Tue Jan 30 2018     Tue Jul 11 2017 unrar                                         5.5.5-4.1     x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE:Leap:42.3:NonFree (none)
> Tue Jan 30 2018     Tue Jul 11 2017 gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3                       21-2.9     x86_64                      openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE:Leap:42.3:NonFree (none)

These are 42.3 packages with a different 42.3 string, so they skipped
the egrep filter.

So, so far as wrong version packages, everything is correct.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgraded 42.2 to 42.3, now have black screen.

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen
On 2018-01-30 16:25, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 2018-01-30 at 16:00 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>
>>>> Just run startx in runlevel 3 and as root.
>>>
>>> Okay, that gave me the KDE GUI, as root, without logging in.
>>
>> Then that means that the graphics driver is not the issue. It is the
>> display manager.
>
> That is at least progress.  Not sure what to try next though.  Maybe I
> should just have done a re-install, would have easily fixed the problem
> by now :-(
I would try a different display manager; seems some issue with sddm. I
use lightdm, but then I use the xfce desktop. IMO, the DM should be
independent and agnostic respect the desktop type.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
1234