tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

General tumbleweed question:

is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
NOT install?

with other words:

- - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
  with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install immediately.

how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?

thanks for info,

simoN

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Re: tumbleweed

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> [12-21-17 13:34]:

> General tumbleweed question:
>
> is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
> NOT install?
>
> with other words:
>
> - - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
>   with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install immediately.
>
> how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
>
> thanks for info,
>
> simoN
>

> - --
> B e c h e r e r GmbH
> Sondermaschinenbau
> Mauermatten Strasse 22
> 79183 Waldkirch
> Germany
>
> Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
> Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
> Mail: [hidden email]
> Web:  www.becherer.de
>
> USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
> Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
> Geschäftsführer:
> Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
> Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch
>
> Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
> und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
> www.becherer.de/AGB

no way to know, but perhaps before someone can read all of your sig.

Re: tumbleweed

Marco Calistri-3
Il 21/12/2017 17:04, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * Simon Becherer <[hidden email]> [12-21-17 13:34]:
> General tumbleweed question:
>
> is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
> NOT install?
>
> with other words:
>
> - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
>   with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install immediately.
>
> how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
>
> thanks for info,
>
> simoN
>

> no way to know, but perhaps before someone can read all of your sig.

:-) :-) :-)
--
Marco Calistri

Re: tumbleweed

Simon Lees-3

On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:

> General tumbleweed question:
>
> is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
> NOT install?
>
> with other words:
>
> - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
>   with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install immediately.
>
> how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
>
> thanks for info,
>
> simoN

I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at removing
code needed to migrate from packaging.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: tumbleweed

Oliver Kurz-2
On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:

> On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:
> > General tumbleweed question:
> >
> > is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
> > NOT install?
> >
> > with other words:
> >
> > - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
> >
> >   with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to
> >   install immediately.>
> > how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
> >
> > thanks for info,
> >
> > simoN
>
> I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
> upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
> years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at removing
> code needed to migrate from packaging.

That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade problems
introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one openQA test
that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW snapshot to the current
one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse
for an upgrade test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently
the upgrade tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard
to maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just minor
conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.

Re: tumbleweed

Axel Braun-2
Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2017, 08:37:17 CET schrieb Oliver Kurz:
> On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:
> > On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:

> > > how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
> >
> > I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
> > upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
> > years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at removing
> > code needed to migrate from packaging.
>
> That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade
> problems introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one
> openQA test that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW snapshot
> to the current one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
> https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&
> machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse for an upgrade
> test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently the upgrade
> tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard to
> maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just minor
> conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.

From my personal experience with hardware that is only randomly used - update
cycles of a year have not caused problems so far when updating TW to TW.

HTH
Axel

Re: tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

Thanks for the infos,

so if i understood correct,
there "should" be no problem to update
a "tumbleweed" which is a couple of weeks old
to the actual "tumbleweed"

only if it is years old, maybe as old as
the last "out of maintenance" "normal" opensuse release
there could be (minor) problems.

simoN

Am 22.12.2017 um 08:37 schrieb Oliver Kurz:

> On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:
>> On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:
>>> General tumbleweed question:
>>>
>>> is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to NOT install?
>>>
>>> with other words:
>>>
>>> - if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem
>>>
>>> with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install immediately.> how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?
>>>
>>> thanks for info,
>>>
>>> simoN
>>
>> I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at
>> removing code needed to migrate from packaging.
>
> That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade problems introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one openQA test that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW
> snapshot to the current one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
> https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse for an upgrade test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently
>  the upgrade tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard to maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just minor conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Re: tumbleweed

Martin Herkt
> Thanks for the infos,
>
> so if i understood correct,
> there "should" be no problem to update
> a "tumbleweed" which is a couple of weeks old
> to the actual "tumbleweed"
>
> only if it is years old, maybe as old as
> the last "out of maintenance" "normal" opensuse release
> there could be (minor) problems.

Correct. I have been running Tumbleweed on many different machines with
different configurations, and different update cycles. No problems so far
(that weren’t my own fault). My desktop has been running Factory since at
least 2009, later switched to Tumbleweed, and that’s still working fine :)