tumbleweed ps-printer firefox / thunderbird not printing

tumbleweed ps-printer firefox / thunderbird not printing

Simon Becherer

tumbleweed20171109+kde
i recognized at the moment that firefox and thunderbird
will not print on old postscript (non pdf) printers.
(on pdf printers printing fine)
i am not 100% shure if this has to do with one of the
last updates from tumbleweed in last month,
because i do printing verry seldom on this system, maybe i have
never printed since install in august 2017, and this is
a normal behavior? (with old cups (ps standart) and verry
old opensuse versions never had any problems.

starting ff or tb in cosole, when i open the printing or the "setup page" dialog i get
always
"failed to get find a colord device: The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files"
but i do not think that this has anithing to do with the printing/not printing (because also on pdf printers this
message appears).

printing from libreoffice, evince, okular or gimp works fine
with tumbleweed and this old ps printers.

in thunderbird i am able to print if i do "file" "setup page"
and chose there the correct ps printer.
the standard setting "portable dokument for all printers" will not work.

in firefox trying same, "print-preview" "setup page" select the
printer, but this still makes no printing.

is this a bug of mozilla or of cups or of integration, or a wrong settings somewhere,
and if a bug where should i report it?

thanks

simoN

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Re: tumbleweed ps-printer firefox / thunderbird not printing

Johannes Meixner

Hello,

for now only some generic info that might help for
further debugging:

On Nov 23 17:40 Simon Becherer wrote (excerpt):
> i recognized at the moment that firefox and thunderbird
> will not print on old postscript (non pdf) printers.
> (on pdf printers printing fine)

Newest CUPS versions have a new "automated print queue setup"
feature (perhaps toghether with cups-browsed from the
separated cups-filtesr software) where you may get
automatically print queues setup with whatever
"driver" the automatism "thinks" is o.k.
cf. "Automated Printer Configuration" in
https://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Printer

Perhaps you use such an automatically setup print queue
but that print queue setup does not work well for your
printers?

In general regarding PDF and printing see
"PostScript: The traditional printing data format"
versus "PDF: The recent printing data format" in
https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing

> printing from libreoffice, evince, okular or gimp
> works fine with tumbleweed and this old ps printers.

This basically proves that the root cause is "inside"
firefox and thunderbird or in whatever tool or library
that is called by firefox and thunderbird to produce
the printing output of firefox and thunderbird.

> is this a bug of mozilla or of cups or of integration,
> or a wrong settings somewhere,
> and if a bug where should i report it?

In general regarding "How to Report a Printing Issue" see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

In your particular case I would recommend therein the section
"It always helps to simulate printout on a virtual generic
  PostScript printer"

When printing fails for a particular application on such a
virtual generic PostScript printer, the root cause is
somehow "inside" the particular application.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: tumbleweed ps-printer firefox / thunderbird not printing

Simon Becherer

Thanks for the info.

simoN