[tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

[tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Sedat Dilek
Hi,

after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.

Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.

Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
So, I was surprised.
Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).

I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.

So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
The Gnome-way?
[1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources and patches)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-April/037748.html

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Sedat Dilek
Hi Fabian,

your reply has no content in the email-body?

Regards,
- Sedat -

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Fabian Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018, 17:26:15 CEST schrieb Sedat Dilek:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
>> colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
>>
>> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
>> so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.
>>
>> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
>> So, I was surprised.
>> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
>> konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).
>>
>> I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
>> The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
>> wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.
>>
>> So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
>> The Gnome-way?
>> [1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
>> Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources and patches)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> - Sedat -
>>
>> [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-April/037748.html

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Sedat Dilek <[hidden email]> [06-13-18 11:28]:

> Hi,
>
> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
> colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
>
> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
> so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.
>
> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
> So, I was surprised.
> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
> konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).
>
> I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
> The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
> wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.
>
> So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
> The Gnome-way?
> [1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
> Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources and patches)?

I right click and hold and drag to select and middle mouse button to paste
or <ctrl><v>

openSUSE Tumbleweed, up-to-date now

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op woensdag 13 juni 2018 17:26:15 CEST schreef Sedat Dilek:

> Hi,
>
> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
> colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
>
> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
> so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.
>
> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
> So, I was surprised.
> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
> konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).
>
> I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
> The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
> wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.
>
> So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
> The Gnome-way?
> [1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
> Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources and
> patches)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> - Sedat -
>
> [1]
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-April/037748.html
Isn't that just some setting in Systemsettings / Input devices? Compare with
Joop's settings ( and send my regards )

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Fabian Vogt-2

(sorry, the previous mail got sent because the newline and send keys are
too similiar...)

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018, 17:26:15 CEST schrieb Sedat Dilek:
> Hi,
>
> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
> colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
>
> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
> so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.

That's easy to explain: There is no offical protocol for the primary selection
yet. GNOME uses some internal one meanwhile.

> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
> So, I was surprised.
> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
> konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).

Plasma 5.13 introduced a change in the way environment variables are set.
QT_QPA_PLATFORM is not forced to "wayland" anymore, but it's up to the
application to decide whether to use "xcb" or "wayland". Before Qt 5.11 the
default was "xcb", now it's autodetected.

We have backports of those changes in Plasma 5.12 (specifically for Leap 15)
and I also added "GDK_BACKEND=x11" in the startup file so that both GTK and Qt
applications behave similiar (also required to get drag-and-drop working
reasonably).

Before Qt 5.11 (so TW until last week and Leap 15), Qt applications use the XCB
platform there and go through Xwayland. So they use the X primary selection.

In TW we're at Qt 5.11 now, which means applications autodetect the wayland
platform now and as a result the primary selection is actually broken again...

You can workaround that by passing "-platform xcb" to applications you want to
use the primary selection in, like "konsole -platform xcb".
GDK_BACKEND=x11 is still active as GTK3 has a broken implementation of the
window decoration handling and is practically unusuable.

I'm thinking about making a proposal to flip the default in Qt again for now,
to restore the pre 5.11 behaviour. There aren't really any downsides there,
except that the "wayland" Qt backend gets less testing.

Cheers,
Fabian

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Fabian Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (sorry, the previous mail got sent because the newline and send keys are
> too similiar...)
>
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018, 17:26:15 CEST schrieb Sedat Dilek:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I inspired my
>> colleague Joop Boonen to test it on OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
>>
>> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to paste),
>> so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.
>
> That's easy to explain: There is no offical protocol for the primary selection
> yet. GNOME uses some internal one meanwhile.
>
>> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or GTK).
>> So, I was surprised.
>> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example cut-n-paste in
>> konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).
>
> Plasma 5.13 introduced a change in the way environment variables are set.
> QT_QPA_PLATFORM is not forced to "wayland" anymore, but it's up to the
> application to decide whether to use "xcb" or "wayland". Before Qt 5.11 the
> default was "xcb", now it's autodetected.
>
> We have backports of those changes in Plasma 5.12 (specifically for Leap 15)
> and I also added "GDK_BACKEND=x11" in the startup file so that both GTK and Qt
> applications behave similiar (also required to get drag-and-drop working
> reasonably).
>
> Before Qt 5.11 (so TW until last week and Leap 15), Qt applications use the XCB
> platform there and go through Xwayland. So they use the X primary selection.
>
> In TW we're at Qt 5.11 now, which means applications autodetect the wayland
> platform now and as a result the primary selection is actually broken again...
>
> You can workaround that by passing "-platform xcb" to applications you want to
> use the primary selection in, like "konsole -platform xcb".
> GDK_BACKEND=x11 is still active as GTK3 has a broken implementation of the
> window decoration handling and is practically unusuable.
>
> I'm thinking about making a proposal to flip the default in Qt again for now,
> to restore the pre 5.11 behaviour. There aren't really any downsides there,
> except that the "wayland" Qt backend gets less testing.

Hi Fabian,

you say Joop and $world is open...

I tried...

'konsole -platform xcb'

...that works with middle-mouse paste.

Debian/testing ships QT 5.10.1.

The 2nd no-no-no was VirtualBox-Qt-Gui not working under Plasma/Wayland.
I tried the suggestion of [1]...

QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb virtualbox

...that worked here.

Checking my exports...

declare -x QT_QPA_PLATFORM="wayland"

Hmm, not sure if I can change this behaviour session-wide (SDDM &
KDE/Plasma), not per-application.
Hmm, a konsole wrapper-script OMG.

The most funniest within GTK applications I can do middle-mouse paste
within a running KDE/Plasma session.

Anyway, thanks for the informations.

Regards,
- sed@ -

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/5wbshp/plasma_wayland_session_virtulabox_gui_doesnt_open/

>> I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
>> The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
>> wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.
>>
>> So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
>> The Gnome-way?
>> [1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
>> Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources and patches)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> - Sedat -
>>
>> [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-April/037748.html

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Peter Linnell-3
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 17:30:34 +0200
Sedat Dilek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Fabian,
>
> your reply has no content in the email-body?
>
> Regards,
> - Sedat -
>
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Fabian Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018, 17:26:15 CEST schrieb Sedat Dilek:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> after I tried KDE/Plasma/Wayland on Debian/testing AMD64 I
> >> inspired my colleague Joop Boonen to test it on
> >> OpenSuse/tumbleweed.
> >>
> >> Everything was fine besides Primary Selection (middle-mouse to
> >> paste), so I stopped using Plasma/Wayland.
> >>
> >> Joop is able to use primary selection in every application (KDE or
> >> GTK). So, I was surprised.
> >> Here on KDE/Plasma 5.12.5 I cannot do that (for example
> >> cut-n-paste in konsole via middle-mouse paste into firefox).
> >>
> >> I asked on the wayland-devel ML [1] with no answer.
> >> The retired KWin maintainer wanted to have this feature in
> >> wayland-protocols before implementing it in KWin/Plasma/Wayland.
> >>
> >> So, what magic did you do in OpenSuse?
> >> The Gnome-way?
> >> [1] has references on how Gnome did it in mutter.
> >> Or can you point me to the relevant packages with name (sources
> >> and patches)?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> - Sedat -
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-April/037748.html

The mail content does show here , and should show here above.

Perhaps gmail is doing something naughty.  My own gmail account is
basically a spam bucket.

HTH,

Peter

Re: [tumbleweed] kde/plasma/wayland: Primary Selection Protocol (middle-mouse to paste)

Peter Linnell-4