trans branch for openSUSE docs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

trans branch for openSUSE docs

Alessio Adamo
Hi guys,

does it make any sense to open a trans branch for openSUSE?
The trans branch in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle only contains
SLE12, SLE12SP1 and SLE12SP2.

Regards

Alessio
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trans branch for openSUSE docs

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Hi,

I think it will be nice, and then add it to weblate (using xml2po)

Regards,

Luiz

2016-12-02 6:28 GMT-02:00 Alessio Adamo <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> does it make any sense to open a trans branch for openSUSE?
> The trans branch in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle only contains
> SLE12, SLE12SP1 and SLE12SP2.
>
> Regards
>
> Alessio
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trans branch for openSUSE docs

Stefan Knorr
Hi all,

I am not 100% involved in all the things openSUSE, so take all the
below with a grain of salt.

Alessio wrote:
 > does it make any sense to open a trans branch for openSUSE?
 > The trans branch in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle only contains
 > SLE12, SLE12SP1 and SLE12SP2.

Those translations were created by professional translators and
(only) committed/pushed by the SUSE doc team.

We currently do not have much of a process for creating openSUSE
translations, I guess. Ideally before we really get into those (again),
we should have in place a system for some collaboration between
professional (SLE) and community (openSUSE) translators first. Which
is where Luiz's idea comes in...


Luiz wrote:
> I think it will be nice, and then add it to weblate (using xml2po)

I don't think it is quite as simple as that:

The repository (and content) is shared with SLES and SLED documentation
which is created by professional (external) translators who currently
have their own process and only return the finished files.

There are also some logistical issues of working with Weblate: i.e.:

+ afaict, it only allows one monster PO file per language which
  decreases reliability)
+ XML2PO has some issues with XML namespaces
+ sometimes the Weblate import creates invalid XML, which is a point
  that would create some extra work for us

(However, none of those issues are impossible to overcome, I think.)


Stefan.

---                                                                    .
SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trans branch for openSUSE docs

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
2016-12-02 8:33 GMT-02:00 Stefan Knorr <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I am not 100% involved in all the things openSUSE, so take all the
> below with a grain of salt.
>
> Alessio wrote:
>> does it make any sense to open a trans branch for openSUSE?
>> The trans branch in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle only contains
>> SLE12, SLE12SP1 and SLE12SP2.
>
> Those translations were created by professional translators and
> (only) committed/pushed by the SUSE doc team.
>
> We currently do not have much of a process for creating openSUSE
> translations, I guess. Ideally before we really get into those (again),
> we should have in place a system for some collaboration between
> professional (SLE) and community (openSUSE) translators first. Which
> is where Luiz's idea comes in...
>
>
> Luiz wrote:
>>
>> I think it will be nice, and then add it to weblate (using xml2po)
>
>
> I don't think it is quite as simple as that:
>
> The repository (and content) is shared with SLES and SLED documentation
> which is created by professional (external) translators who currently
> have their own process and only return the finished files.
>
> There are also some logistical issues of working with Weblate: i.e.:
>
> + afaict, it only allows one monster PO file per language which
>  decreases reliability)

Hi,

No, it will be one po file for one xml. But yeah, its one string each paragraph.

I had a project for translate the startup guides to pt_BR in the past
(very amateur) and a Guillaume GARDET made another for fr, ru and
zh_CN which are located on svn.opensuse.org with some scripts to do
the task:

https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-doc/trunk/documents/distribution/50-tools/

and an online version partly translated:
http://guillaume.gardet.free.fr/openSUSE-doc/opensuse-all/book.opensuse.startup.html

His project uses xml2po (from gnome, which has the advantage that the
.po file doesn't need to be 100% translated to generate back the
xml/html/pdf), while I used xml2pot (from KDE where the .po has to be
100% to generate the xml/html/pdf)

But, both "projects" are dead long time ago..

Regards,

Luiz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]