touchpad fault

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

touchpad fault

George from the tribe
I just submitted a bug report on my touchpad not working on the new
install, https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1043969.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do a workaround, it would be
most welcome!

------------------
On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds
after reaching the display manager. In fact, what I have figured out is,
that on reboot, if I use the mouse and don't touch the touchpad, it will
work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and then stops
working.

I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly
corresponds with when the touchpad stopped working:

# journalctl -k | grep mouse
Jun 12 19:59:20 tribeDellbig kernel: mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common
for all mice
Jun 12 19:59:20 tribeDellbig kernel: psmouse serio1: elantech: assuming
hardware version 4 (with firmware version 0x4d5f02)
Jun 12 19:59:20 tribeDellbig kernel: psmouse serio1: elantech: Synaptics
capabilities query result 0x00, 0x15, 0x10.
Jun 12 19:59:20 tribeDellbig kernel: psmouse serio1: elantech: Elan
sample query result 0c, 02, 75
Jun 12 20:00:52 tribeDellbig kernel: psmouse serio1: Touchpad at
isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 6

Here is my hardware info:
# hwinfo --mouse
44: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
   [Created at input.249]
   Unique ID: AH6Q.9uGL5DibWf5
   Hardware Class: mouse
   Model: "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
   Vendor: 0x0002
   Device: 0x000e "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
   Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0001
   Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
   Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/event1,
/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse,
/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse
   Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:32)
   Driver Info #0:
     Buttons: 1
     Wheels: 0
     XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
     GPM Protocol: exps2
   Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

45: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
   [Created at input.249]
   Unique ID: AH6Q.IQfviPh7Ti0
   Hardware Class: mouse
   Model: "ELAN1010:00 04F3:3012 Touchpad"
   Vendor: 0x04f3
   Device: 0x3012 "ELAN1010:00 04F3:3012 Touchpad"
   Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0001
   Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse2)
   Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse2, /dev/input/event11,
/dev/input/by-path/platform-AMD0010:00-event-mouse,
/dev/input/by-path/platform-AMD0010:00-mouse
   Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:34)
   Driver Info #0:
     Buttons: 1
     Wheels: 0
     XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
     GPM Protocol: exps2
   Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown


--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB
Laptop #1: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD FX 7TH GEN  | 64 | 12GB
Laptop #2: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | Core i5         | 64 | 8GB

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

John Andersen-2
On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
> On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after reaching the display
> manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the mouse and don't touch the
> touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and then stops working.
>
> I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly corresponds with when the
> touchpad stopped working:

Pretty sure this is by design.

If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability.  (cursor jumping from palm
brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.

A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn off
the touchpad if a mouse is detected.  Others only disable the touchpad while typing
and for X milliseconds after typing stops.

That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure desktop / input devices /
touchpad / enable-disable

--
After all is said and done, more is said than done.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

James Knott
On 06/12/2017 09:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:
> That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure desktop / input devices /
> touchpad / enable-disable

I can see stuff like disable when typing etc., but no overall disable
the #@$$%@#%@ touchpad.  I've hated touch pads ever since I first
encountered one on a Toshiba notebook running Windows 95.  I currently
run a command at desktop startup to kill it, but there should be a means
in the settings to completely disable it, as there is in Windows.
Perhaps adding it to the Ignored devices list would be appropriate.

BTW, I will not buy a notebook computer that has a touchpad, but not a
trackpoint.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
On 06/12/2017 08:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
>> On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after reaching the display
>> manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the mouse and don't touch the
>> touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and then stops working.
>>
>> I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly corresponds with when the
>> touchpad stopped working:
>
> Pretty sure this is by design.
>
> If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability.  (cursor jumping from palm
> brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.
>
> A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn off
> the touchpad if a mouse is detected.  Others only disable the touchpad while typing
> and for X milliseconds after typing stops.
>
> That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure desktop / input devices /
> touchpad / enable-disable
>

I've actually tamed the touchpad with

  syndaemon -d -k -R -p /usr/local/tmp/david/syndaemon.pid

You can change the idle time with -i, but I've found the default works as well
as just about anything else (it's between 1 & 2 sec.)

With KDE, I just load it via the Autostart folder. I write the PID to the lock
file and actually call syndaemon from a script that checks the PID to prevent
multiple launches.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

George from the tribe
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
On 06/12/2017 08:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
>> On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after reaching the display
>> manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the mouse and don't touch the
>> touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and then stops working.
>>
>> I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly corresponds with when the
>> touchpad stopped working:
>
> Pretty sure this is by design.
>
> If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability.  (cursor jumping from palm
> brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.
>
> A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn off
> the touchpad if a mouse is detected.  Others only disable the touchpad while typing
> and for X milliseconds after typing stops.
>
> That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure desktop / input devices /
> touchpad / enable-disable
>

In this case those buttons have no effect. Whether or not I have the
disable-touchpad-when-mouse-is-plugged-in button checked, the touchpad
is broken. I think the "input0 lost sync at byte 6" is an indication of
some kind of fault. When I unplug my regular mouse, the touchpad is
still not working.

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB
Laptop #1: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD FX 7TH GEN  | 64 | 12GB
Laptop #2: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | Core i5         | 64 | 8GB

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

George from the tribe
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
On 06/12/2017 08:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:
> On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
>> On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after reaching the display
>> manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the mouse and don't touch the
>> touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and then stops working.
>>
>> I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly corresponds with when the
>> touchpad stopped working:
>
So I added something to the bug report, and would be interested to know
if anyone here has any comments (since I assume not everyone here is
reviewing the bug reports as much as this list):

I found this out also. If I run this command, here is what I get:
# modprobe -r psmouse ; modprobe psmouse
modprobe: FATAL: Module psmouse is builtin.

So, looking further, I found this:
tribeDellbig:/lib/modules/4.11.5-1.g8ffa6bb-default # cat
modules.builtin | grep mouse
kernel/drivers/input/mousedev.ko
kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko

When I go to that directory, here is what I find:
# ls -g -o /lib/modules/4.11.5-1.g8ffa6bb-default/kernel/drivers/input/mouse
total 276
-rw-r--r-- 1 27400 Jun 14 12:22 appletouch.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 27504 Jun 14 12:22 bcm5974.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 88216 Jun 14 12:22 cyapatp.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 54800 Jun 14 12:22 elan_i2c.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 11048 Jun 14 12:22 gpio_mouse.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 11888 Jun 14 12:22 sermouse.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 18360 Jun 14 12:22 synaptics_i2c.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 17048 Jun 14 12:22 synaptics_usb.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 12128 Jun 14 12:22 vsxxxaa.ko


The psmouse.ko file does not exist. So how can it be built in to the
kernel if it doesn't exist?




--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB
Laptop #1: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD FX 7TH GEN  | 64 | 12GB
Laptop #2: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | Core i5         | 64 | 8GB

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

Peter Suetterlin
George from the tribe wrote:

> I found this out also. If I run this command, here is what I get:
> # modprobe -r psmouse ; modprobe psmouse
> modprobe: FATAL: Module psmouse is builtin.
>
> The psmouse.ko file does not exist. So how can it be built in to the kernel
> if it doesn't exist?

When configuring the kernel, for many drivers you have the option to compile
them fixed into the kernel OR as a module.  Those compiled into the kernel of
course have no .ko in /lib/modules.....
The names in modules.builtin refer to the path the .ko file WOULD have if it
were a loadable module.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: touchpad fault

George from the tribe
On 06/15/2017 10:05 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> George from the tribe wrote:
>
>> I found this out also. If I run this command, here is what I get:
>> # modprobe -r psmouse ; modprobe psmouse
>> modprobe: FATAL: Module psmouse is builtin.
>>
>> The psmouse.ko file does not exist. So how can it be built in to the kernel
>> if it doesn't exist?
>
> When configuring the kernel, for many drivers you have the option to compile
> them fixed into the kernel OR as a module.  Those compiled into the kernel of
> course have no .ko in /lib/modules.....
> The names in modules.builtin refer to the path the .ko file WOULD have if it
> were a loadable module.
>

Ok, thanks. I think I understand now.

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB
Laptop #1: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD FX 7TH GEN  | 64 | 12GB
Laptop #2: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | Core i5         | 64 | 8GB

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...