texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Roger Oberholtzer-2
Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Terzeus S. Dominguez
On 西元2017年02月14日 01:29, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
> texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
> what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
> suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
> first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.

Same here. I haven't figured out which package it is but locked in the meantime.

sudo zypper addlock texlive

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Roger Oberholtzer <[hidden email]> [02-13-17 12:30]:
> Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
> texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
> what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
> suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
> first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.

perhaps look for something to do with desktop publishing
and then
  zypper se -s --requires <package-name>

or you could
  rpm -q --whatrequires texlive

and see if zypper wants to update one or more of the resulting packages.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Bruno Friedmann-2
On lundi, 13 février 2017 12.41:29 h CET Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Roger Oberholtzer <[hidden email]> [02-13-17 12:30]:
> > Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
> > texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
> > what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
> > suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
> > first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.
>
> perhaps look for something to do with desktop publishing
> and then
>   zypper se -s --requires <package-name>
>
> or you could
>   rpm -q --whatrequires texlive
>
> and see if zypper wants to update one or more of the resulting packages.

There's also the vicious "Recommends" :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

On 西元2017年02月14日 01:52, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> There's also the vicious "Recommends" :-)

So it seems. transfig is dragging texlive as a recommended package and ImageMagick-extra appears to be recommending transfig. Please confirm?

AW

Am Montag, 13. Februar 2017, 18:29:24 CET schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
> Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
> texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
> what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
> suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
> first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.

There is a package texlive-dummy_install on software.opensuse.org. AFAIK you
can install it and zypper no longer complains about missing texlive packages.

As well here:
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texlive-dummy-opensuse?lang=de

Regards,

Alexander

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:22 PM, AW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a package texlive-dummy_install on software.opensuse.org. AFAIK you
> can install it and zypper no longer complains about missing texlive packages.
>
> As well here:
> https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texlive-dummy-opensuse?lang=de

I wonder which is the better route: a lock or the dummy package that
pretends to provide the packages.

A lock seems better to me if only because it is more clear that the
packages are not actually installed.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Terzeus S. Dominguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 西元2017年02月14日 01:52, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> There's also the vicious "Recommends" :-)
>
> So it seems. transfig is dragging texlive as a recommended package and ImageMagick-extra appears to be recommending transfig. Please confirm?

After locking texlive-*, I see this:

Problem: transfig-3.2.6a-1.1.x86_64 requires texlive-epstopdf, but
this requirement cannot be provided
  uninstallable providers:
texlive-epstopdf-2016.113.2.23svn36139-27.1.noarch[repo-oss]
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-epstopdf-2016.113.2.23svn36139-27.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-kpathsea-2016.113.svn41139-29.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-tetex-2016.113.3.0svn41059-30.2.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-texconfig-2016.113.svn40768-30.2.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-gsftopk-2016.113.1.19.2svn40768-28.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-texlive.infra-2016.113.svn41280-27.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-updmap-map-2016.113.svn41149-27.2.noarch[repo-oss]
 Solution 2: Following actions will be done:
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-epstopdf-2016.113.2.23svn36139-27.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-filesystem-2016.108-20.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-kpathsea-2016.113.svn41139-29.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-tetex-2016.113.3.0svn41059-30.2.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-texconfig-2016.113.svn40768-30.2.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-gsftopk-2016.113.1.19.2svn40768-28.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-texlive.infra-2016.113.svn41280-27.1.noarch[repo-oss]
  remove lock to allow installation of
texlive-updmap-map-2016.113.svn41149-27.2.noarch[repo-oss]
 Solution 3: keep obsolete transfig-3.2.5e-4.8.x86_64
 Solution 4: break transfig-3.2.6a-1.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its
dependencies

So I can at least confirm transfig. I guess these packages pull in the
other 1500 texlive-* packages.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Terzeus S. Dominguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 西元2017年02月14日 01:29, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> Starting last week, my Tumbleweed system wants to install 1500
>> texlive- RPMs. I am not explicitly adding any new packages, other than
>> what the dup wants to install. How can I find out which package has
>> suddenly decided it needs all these packages? I guess that is the
>> first step in seeing if I can disable adding all these packages.
>
> Same here. I haven't figured out which package it is but locked in the meantime.
>
> sudo zypper addlock texlive

Wow. After I added the lock, zypper says it is not installing 6177
items because they are locked. Those mainly must be texlive-*
packages. The only other thing I have locked is php5 (until I can
verify I do not need it).

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Carlos E. R.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then it must be better to install the fake package.

The lock takes a wildcard. So it is not so difficult to do.The dummy
package only provides a short list of texlive- packages. Maybe these
are the ones that cause all the problems. Still, this package is in a
user directory on OBS. I am trying to stay away from those. Except my
own ;)

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Martin Wilck-2
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 08:05 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:22 PM, AW <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > There is a package texlive-dummy_install on software.opensuse.org.
> > AFAIK you
> > can install it and zypper no longer complains about missing texlive
> > packages.
> >
> > As well here:
> > https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texlive-dummy-opensuse?lang=de
>
> I wonder which is the better route: a lock or the dummy package that
> pretends to provide the packages.
>
> A lock seems better to me if only because it is more clear that the
> packages are not actually installed.

To me this looks like a design problem in the texlive package. How much
sense does it make to split a package in to 1500+ parts if "texlive-
epstopdf" pulls in (almost?) all of them? You might as well just stuff
it all in a single package.

Btw, I set "solver.onlyRequires = true" in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf, and I
don't recall having had trouble with it.

Regards
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <[hidden email]>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Stephan Kulow-3
Am 14.02.2017 um 16:53 schrieb Martin Wilck:

> To me this looks like a design problem in the texlive package. How much
> sense does it make to split a package in to 1500+ parts if "texlive-
> epstopdf" pulls in (almost?) all of them? You might as well just stuff
> it all in a single package.

That's how texlive works - texlive is not a package, it's a distribution
of packages. And while I have epstopdf (among 1732 other texlive)
installed, there are 4519 texlive packages I do *not* have installed.

Greetings, Stephan

On 西元2017年02月14日 15:09, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> After locking texlive-*, I see this:

Huh, strange. I only locked texlive without the wildcard and it didn't do that. Can you try installing transfig --no-recommends?

On mardi, 14 février 2017 18.25:00 h CET Carlos E. R. wrote:
> El 2017-02-14 a las 16:53 +0100, Martin Wilck escribió:
> > To me this looks like a design problem in the texlive package. How much
> > sense does it make to split a package in to 1500+ parts if "texlive-
> > epstopdf" pulls in (almost?) all of them? You might as well just stuff
> > it all in a single package.
>
> It was one package time ago, but it was changed; I don't remember the
> reason. Perhaps to have more grainy control. But as you say, if some
> thing wants to install them all, the solution is worse.

The real trouble is to have all or big part of them installed
rpm isn't the most speedy things to make that much packages.

For that reason, unfortunately, I'm not the most happiest Geeko about the
package split.

But no, I don't want to even think about a merge them all again :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Stefan Seyfried
Am 14.02.2017 um 21:50 schrieb Bruno Friedmann:
> On mardi, 14 février 2017 18.25:00 h CET Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> It was one package time ago, but it was changed; I don't remember the
>> reason. Perhaps to have more grainy control. But as you say, if some
>> thing wants to install them all, the solution is worse.
>
> The real trouble is to have all or big part of them installed
> rpm isn't the most speedy things to make that much packages.

much worse is, that it made the metadata explode in size, and they are
still often served slowly directly from download.o.o and not from
mirrors, with speeds measured in kilobits per second.
Almost as bad as the useless appdata downloads, but appdata is easy to
workaround with a trivial patch to libzypp...
--
Stefan Seyfried

Re: texlive- packages on Tumbleweed

Christian Boltz-5

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017, 09:40:42 CET schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
> Wow. After I added the lock, zypper says it is not installing 6177
> items because they are locked. Those mainly must be texlive-*
> packages. The only other thing I have locked is php5 (until I can
> verify I do not need it).

This means there are 6177 packages matching your texlive-* lock.
It does _not_ mean that all those 6177 packages would be installed if
you remove the lock.

So please take this number with a grain of salt ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Such bad style mussst be forrrbiddden!
Regarrrds frrrom overrrcorrrect Gerrrmany!

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Christian Boltz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017, 09:40:42 CET schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
>> Wow. After I added the lock, zypper says it is not installing 6177
>> items because they are locked. Those mainly must be texlive-*
>> packages. The only other thing I have locked is php5 (until I can
>> verify I do not need it).
>
> This means there are 6177 packages matching your texlive-* lock.
> It does _not_ mean that all those 6177 packages would be installed if
> you remove the lock.
>
> So please take this number with a grain of salt ;-)

Not totally. It will install over 1400 of those. Even though transfig
only needs a few, those need others, who need others, etc.

If it was only a few getting installed I would not care.

The size of what gets installed is over 800 MB.

That's a damn big grain of salt.

Am 16.02.2017 um 07:16 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Christian Boltz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017, 09:40:42 CET schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
>>> Wow. After I added the lock, zypper says it is not installing 6177
>>> items because they are locked. Those mainly must be texlive-*
>>> packages. The only other thing I have locked is php5 (until I can
>>> verify I do not need it).
>>
>> This means there are 6177 packages matching your texlive-* lock.
>> It does _not_ mean that all those 6177 packages would be installed if
>> you remove the lock.
>>
>> So please take this number with a grain of salt ;-)
>
> Not totally. It will install over 1400 of those. Even though transfig
> only needs a few, those need others, who need others, etc.
>
> If it was only a few getting installed I would not care.
>
> The size of what gets installed is over 800 MB.
>
> That's a damn big grain of salt.

Well, transfig users should think twice what functionality they expect -
perhaps libreoffice-draw is good enough :)

zypper in transfig:
2103 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 910.5 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the
operation, additional 1.7 GiB will be used.

zypper in libreoffice-draw:
503 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 326.0 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the
operation, additional 1.1 GiB will be used.

:-)

Greetings, Stephan