systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Hi,

just wanted to submit a change to systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE and
noticed that it's not clear to me how to do it anymore.

In contrast to earlier it now contains
default-openSUSE.preset
default-SUSE.preset

I cannot guess what that means now so I tried to find out:

Fri Nov  3 09:12:26 UTC 2017 - [hidden email]

- Move common entries into default-SUSE.preset (bsc#1060676)

This points to a bugreport which I cannot read.

Can someone either explain or better open up that bug if it's applied to
a package having "openSUSE" in its name?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang

Re: systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE

Olaf Hering-2
On Mon, Jan 01, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> - Move common entries into default-SUSE.preset (bsc#1060676)

> Can someone either explain or better open up that bug if it's applied to
> a package having "openSUSE" in its name?

This bug is essentially about the fact that copying the SLE12 variant
verbatim into a generic preset package throws years of development in
Tumbleweed away.

Creating a set of defaults for "SUSE" (which openSUSE/SLE/CAASP
essentially is) is the first step to get rid of these weird "branding"
packages, and provide just a single package with defaults that we need.
The brand we provide is "SUSE", nothing else. That several flavors
exists does not really matter. It is not obvious why someone has to take
extra actions to enable printing, or virtualization, or whatever else is
still listed in default-openSUSE.preset and default-SLE.preset.

Someone else has to invest energy to merge the packages into
systemd-presets.rpm. Until then, the default-SUSE.preset file has to be
kept in sync in all of these "branding" packages.

For short: make all changes in default-SUSE.preset.

Olaf

Re: systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE

Thorsten Kukuk
On Mon, Jan 01, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Creating a set of defaults for "SUSE" (which openSUSE/SLE/CAASP
> essentially is) is the first step to get rid of these weird "branding"
> packages, and provide just a single package with defaults that we need.
> The brand we provide is "SUSE", nothing else. That several flavors
> exists does not really matter. It is not obvious why someone has to take
> extra actions to enable printing, or virtualization, or whatever else is
> still listed in default-openSUSE.preset and default-SLE.preset.

Beside that you did not adjust CAASP and broke it with your change, I don't
see this as doable.
Yes, there are core services, which should be running on all systems.
But especially your examples of "printing" or "virtualization" is something,
you want to have different on different products. And that's why there
are "presets" in systemd and it is no longer hard coded: to allow different
defaults for different products.

Having one "Core" presets with important things you always need is a
good thing, merging everything into one is impossible.

  Thorsten