suse 10.2 repair the bootsector after windows-dualboot-reinstall

suse 10.2 repair the bootsector after windows-dualboot-reinstall

trueshanti
Hi

today i had a typical installation problem that should be maintained better
since its a stopper for unexperienced users:

dualboot with suse 10.2 and WinXP .. there was a Windows-Reinstall  ( of
course) that broke the boot-loader ..

-> so i booted installation-DVD to recover it

ok have to choose "New Installation"  .. why this .. i dont want to .. ok
anyway .. hidden therein is the recovery-function ( should be a mainmenu-item
instead)

i only want to recover the bootloader .. but suse wants the check all
available filesystems .. which used to be clean anyway .. so checking them
took useless ages

going through further useless checkings .. like "fstab-entries seems to be
incorrect" , where the are NOT (ignoring wont get by this popup) .. the
recovery of the bootloader failed .. leaving a unexperienced user with a
non-working system ( win32 only :-(  )

after rebooting into rescue-system, mounting the root-partition .. setting
grub-config-file , root and run the setup within grub .. this issue was
solved .. but it sucks , since unexperienced users cannot do this on their
own

a friend i tried to switch to linux said .. this is definitly a showstopper
for him , because windows-reinstalls are monthly/quaterly tasks , and without
support from me he couldnt finish this ..

so "Linux sucks" just because lacking a simple clean and working
boot-loader-recovery .. (thats not my opinion :-))

please , its very important to bring this to a working release , or else SuSE
will miss a lot new Users

also i think that a "recovery system" should be more like a minimal live-cd
with a good task-related-gui .. but just a basic shell with important
features missing

best regards

-c-

Re: suse 10.2 repair the bootsector after windows-dualboot-reinstall

Mike McMullin
On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 17:32 +0100, shanti wrote:

> Hi
>
> today i had a typical installation problem that should be maintained better
> since its a stopper for unexperienced users:
>
> dualboot with suse 10.2 and WinXP .. there was a Windows-Reinstall  ( of
> course) that broke the boot-loader ..
>
> -> so i booted installation-DVD to recover it
>
> ok have to choose "New Installation"  .. why this .. i dont want to .. ok
> anyway .. hidden therein is the recovery-function ( should be a mainmenu-item
> instead)
>
> i only want to recover the bootloader .. but suse wants the check all
> available filesystems .. which used to be clean anyway .. so checking them
> took useless ages
>
> going through further useless checkings .. like "fstab-entries seems to be
> incorrect" , where the are NOT (ignoring wont get by this popup) .. the
> recovery of the bootloader failed .. leaving a unexperienced user with a
> non-working system ( win32 only :-(  )
>
> after rebooting into rescue-system, mounting the root-partition .. setting
> grub-config-file , root and run the setup within grub .. this issue was
> solved .. but it sucks , since unexperienced users cannot do this on their
> own
>
> a friend i tried to switch to linux said .. this is definitly a showstopper
> for him , because windows-reinstalls are monthly/quaterly tasks , and without
> support from me he couldnt finish this ..

  Wow, is his system really that bad?  Using NT, 2k, or XP, you can have
MicroSoft's bootloader kick you into Linux.  There are abundant articles
with clearly defined steps out there.  One thing though, you'll want a
copy of the boot image file from linux put on a disk to make this
easier.  (Frankly I'd print out the instructions and use a modern
bootable Linux distro with NTFS write support built in, to bypass the
need for a current image.)

> so "Linux sucks" just because lacking a simple clean and working
> boot-loader-recovery .. (thats not my opinion :-))

  Perhaps what we need is a "Windows hosed the bootloader" recovery
option.

> please , its very important to bring this to a working release , or else SuSE
> will miss a lot new Users
>
> also i think that a "recovery system" should be more like a minimal live-cd
> with a good task-related-gui .. but just a basic shell with important
> features missing
>
> best regards
>
> -c-

  I have not really used the recovery system shell.  You need to know
things about your system, like partitioning info, mounting instructions
and chroot instructions, to be able to simply bypass the Repair Tool
checks and effect what you want.