strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

Stakanov Schufter
I have this problem in one user only. I am sure it is a stupid hidden setting
somewhere. But I do not find where it is.
See picture in paste. The Preview window is smaller then the available space,
the hyperlinks in addresses work (but only in the white space, in the text
they are not clickable.
Instead of using the full space: it just uses this "scroll window".

What can this be?

http://paste.opensuse.org/24126829

P.S. I did choose a spam mail, but it is valid for every mail. HTML or Text
makes no difference.

_________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________
Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017, 11:55:44 schrieb stakanov:
> What can this be?
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/24126829

It's a bug in Qt5's QtWebEngine that only occurs on HiDPI screens (with screen
scaling).
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376589
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59017
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1042337

It has actually been fixed in June for Qt 5.9.1 and 5.6.3.

AFAIK an update was planned for Leap, no idea why that hasn't been released
yet... (Qt5 comes from SLE)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017, 17:39:23 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> AFAIK an update was planned for Leap, no idea why that hasn't been released
> yet... (Qt5 comes from SLE)

Actually, a patch that should fix it made it into the Leap 42.3 release.

So what openSUSE version are you using?
You didn't mention...

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 19 dicembre 2017 19:34:25 CET, Wolfgang Bauer ha scritto:

> Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017, 17:39:23 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> > AFAIK an update was planned for Leap, no idea why that hasn't been
> > released
> > yet... (Qt5 comes from SLE)
>
> Actually, a patch that should fix it made it into the Leap 42.3 release.
>
> So what openSUSE version are you using?
> You didn't mention...
>
> Kind Regards,
> Wolfgang
It is 42.3 updated from 13.2
It is actually with the extra repos a more advanced version of KDE but as the
problem is present only in one(!) user and not in the others, it should not be
specific problem of KDE but a setting, don't you think so?
I am currently unsure why this problem manifests.
Orientation is to recreate a user and migrate the data. But it would be nice
to understand why it manifests in the first place.


_________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________
Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange problem with window / preview size in kmail

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017, 23:37:18 schrieb stakanov:
> It is 42.3 updated from 13.2

Ok, then you should have that fix.

> It is actually with the extra repos a more advanced version of KDE

Does that mean you use Qt 5.10.0?

> but as
> the problem is present only in one(!) user and not in the others, it should
> not be specific problem of KDE but a setting, don't you think so?

I didn't realize that it works fine on other users on the *same* system. I
thought you were talking about different systems...

But, Plasma's display (and screen scaling) settings are *per user*, so maybe
the problem lies there?

In particular, there were special problems with *non-integer* scaling factors
in the past (support for which got only introduced in Qt 5.5 or 5.6 in the
first place).
I have no idea whether all of them are fixed already meanwhile.

So check in systemsettings5->Display & Monitor->Displays->Scale Display, and
try to change it to 1(.0) if it's different.
Probably the fonts' "ForceDPI" setting may come into play here too.

The affected config file is ~/.config/kdeglobals (and  ~/.config/kcmfonts for
the "ForceDPI" setting) AFAICT, if you want to try to remove/rename them.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: strange problem with window / preview size in kmail - (glamorously) [SOLVED]!!

Stakanov Schufter
In data mercoledì 20 dicembre 2017 13:15:36 CET, Wolfgang Bauer ha scritto:

> Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017, 23:37:18 schrieb stakanov:
> > It is 42.3 updated from 13.2
>
> Ok, then you should have that fix.
>
> > It is actually with the extra repos a more advanced version of KDE
>
> Does that mean you use Qt 5.10.0?
>
> > but as
> > the problem is present only in one(!) user and not in the others, it
> > should
> > not be specific problem of KDE but a setting, don't you think so?
>
> I didn't realize that it works fine on other users on the *same* system. I
> thought you were talking about different systems...
>
> But, Plasma's display (and screen scaling) settings are *per user*, so maybe
> the problem lies there?
>
> In particular, there were special problems with *non-integer* scaling
> factors in the past (support for which got only introduced in Qt 5.5 or 5.6
> in the first place).
> I have no idea whether all of them are fixed already meanwhile.
>
> So check in systemsettings5->Display & Monitor->Displays->Scale Display, and
> try to change it to 1(.0) if it's different.
> Probably the fonts' "ForceDPI" setting may come into play here too.
>
> The affected config file is ~/.config/kdeglobals (and  ~/.config/kcmfonts
> for the "ForceDPI" setting) AFAICT, if you want to try to remove/rename
> them.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Wolfgang
THANK YOU!! You saved me an awful lot of work. Yes, that was exactly(!) the
reason. The Scale display was on 1.4 and this caused the issue. Now everything
is how it should be.

I am really grateful for this fast and efficient answer. Seasonal greetings!!



_________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________
Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]