source-urls: github or pypi

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

source-urls: github or pypi

Sebastian-2
Hi,

For many (python) packages there are multiple possibilities for the
source URL, e.g. pypi, github, homepage etc. But they all have other
contents.
In many cases, the pypi-archive does not have tests, as opposed to
release-archives from github. Thus personally, I would prefer the
archive with tests over the pypi one.

But as requests with github-URLs get declined[1], I'd like to ask how to
perform the checks?
Probably use both sources, one to build the software, the other one for
the tests?

Sebastian

[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/420619

--
python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at
cryptographic key at https://sebix.at/DC9B463B.asc and on public keyservers



signature.asc (860 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: source-urls: github or pypi

Thomas Bechtold
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 04:11:07PM +0200, Sebastian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For many (python) packages there are multiple possibilities for the
> source URL, e.g. pypi, github, homepage etc. But they all have other
> contents.
> In many cases, the pypi-archive does not have tests, as opposed to
> release-archives from github. Thus personally, I would prefer the
> archive with tests over the pypi one.
>
> But as requests with github-URLs get declined[1], I'd like to ask how to
> perform the checks?

Sorry. I missed your comment about the missing tests. I accepted the package.

> Probably use both sources, one to build the software, the other one for
> the tests?

You could also ask upstream to include the tests.

Best

Tom
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: source-urls: github or pypi

Sebastian-2
On 08/29/2016 09:47 AM, Thomas Bechtold wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 04:11:07PM +0200, Sebastian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For many (python) packages there are multiple possibilities for the
>> source URL, e.g. pypi, github, homepage etc. But they all have other
>> contents.
>> In many cases, the pypi-archive does not have tests, as opposed to
>> release-archives from github. Thus personally, I would prefer the
>> archive with tests over the pypi one.
>>
>> But as requests with github-URLs get declined[1], I'd like to ask how to
>> perform the checks?
> Sorry. I missed your comment about the missing tests. I accepted the package.
So there's no guideline which source to use?
>> Probably use both sources, one to build the software, the other one for
>> the tests?
> You could also ask upstream to include the tests.
I haven't done a survey, but this is a quite generic problem tough.
Filing a bunch of "bug" reports upstream in all kind of projects does
not solve the overall problem. The same applies to docs too (both single
files in the "root" directory as also the docs/ directory).

Sebastian

--
python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at
cryptographic key at https://sebix.at/DC9B463B.asc and on public keyservers



signature.asc (860 bytes) Download Attachment