skype

Doug McGarrett
From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
not MS--hard drive not found.)

--doug

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 21:35, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
> in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
> seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
> welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
> not MS--hard drive not found.)

If you click on "download" there is a link that says "Skype for linux"

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

Frank Bax
At 03:35 PM 10/24/06, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
>in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
>seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
>welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
>not MS--hard drive not found.)

Search google for "Skype Linux" and click "I'm feeling lucky".

         http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 20:08, Frank Bax wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 10/24/06, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
> >in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
> >seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
> >welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
> >not MS--hard drive not found.)
>
> Search google for "Skype Linux" and click "I'm feeling lucky".
>
>          http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

I guess I'm too stupid to use this system.  I went to the
URL and supposedly downloaded the file, which said it
went to tmp/kde-doug/konqueror/Ss5eYb.3.0.53
but I can't find anything there, and neither can YAST.
Just in case that first S was a 5, I tried it both ways.
I would really go to school for this if there was one
not too far away, but I have looked.

--doug

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

kj-12
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 16:52 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> >          http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/
>
> I guess I'm too stupid to use this system.  I went to the
> URL and supposedly downloaded the file, which said it
> went to tmp/kde-doug/konqueror/Ss5eYb.3.0.53
> but I can't find anything there, and neither can YAST.
> Just in case that first S was a 5, I tried it both ways.
> I would really go to school for this if there was one
> not too far away, but I have looked.

What are you using to download with?   FireFox will put downloaded files
on your desktop, by default, I always set it to my downloads directory.

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

Patrick Shanahan
* Doug McGarrett <[hidden email]> [10-24-06 20:39]:
> I guess I'm too stupid to use this system.  I went to the URL and
> supposedly downloaded the file, which said it went to
> tmp/kde-doug/konqueror/Ss5eYb.3.0.53 but I can't find anything there,
> and neither can YAST. Just in case that first S was a 5, I tried it
> both ways. I would really go to school for this if there was one not
> too far away, but I have looked.

So tell it where to download the file, ie: right-click on the download
link.
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

stephan beal
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 22:52, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>          http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/
> I guess I'm too stupid to use this system.  I went to the
> URL and supposedly downloaded the file, which said it
> went to tmp/kde-doug/konqueror/Ss5eYb.3.0.53
> but I can't find anything there, and neither can YAST.
> Just in case that first S was a 5, I tried it both ways.
> I would really go to school for this if there was one
> not too far away, but I have looked.

Right-click the link which says "Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled
in", then click "Save link as..."

That will unfortunately save the file named "getskype-linux-static",
instead of "something.tar.bz2" (like it "should" be). Now do:

tar xjf getskype-linux-static

that'll unpack to a dir named skype-1.3.0.53

from there, simply run the 'skype' binary. There is no installation, per
se.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: skype

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us

stephan beal wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 22:52, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>
>>          http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/
>> I guess I'm too stupid to use this system.  I went to the
>> URL and supposedly downloaded the file, which said it
>> went to tmp/kde-doug/konqueror/Ss5eYb.3.0.53
>> but I can't find anything there, and neither can YAST.
>> Just in case that first S was a 5, I tried it both ways.
>> I would really go to school for this if there was one
>> not too far away, but I have looked.
>>

> Right-click the link which says "Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled
> in", then click "Save link as..."
>
> That will unfortunately save the file named "getskype-linux-static",
> instead of "something.tar.bz2" (like it "should" be). Now do:
>
> tar xjf getskype-linux-static
>
> that'll unpack to a dir named skype-1.3.0.53
>
> from there, simply run the 'skype' binary. There is no installation, per
> se.

I am confused.  Why don't you just download the SUSE RPM and get it over
with.

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 04:47, Robert Lewis wrote:
> I am confused.  Why don't you just download the SUSE RPM and get it
> over with.
> http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

The OP didn't say which Suse version he has (AFAIK), which means we
don't know which Qt he has, which means we don't know if any given
dynamically-linked Skype will work for The .tar.bz2 contains statically
linked Qt, which means it doesn't matter what Qt version the user has.
Additionally, that file can be installed under an arbitrary user
account, without the need for root to do anything. i generally
prefer/recommend such installations over those which need root access
(i tend to install all non-systemwide software under $HOME).

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 23:01, stephan beal wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 04:47, Robert Lewis wrote:
> > I am confused.  Why don't you just download the SUSE RPM and get it
> > over with.
> > http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

/snip/

I would like to thank all the folks who saw and replied to my original
message.  I seem to have SKYPE installed, and when I find that it is
working, I will send a brief message.  I have unfortunately forgotten
what I used for a username and password, and I am in the process
of trying to recover them.  Note to readers:  write this stuff down when
you sign up for one of these things.  I can't access PayPal anymore,
since I can't remember my password, and the URL they give you to
recover it will not fit in any browser.  It's hundreds of characters long.

There really should be a means to remember passwords on
computers that are only accessed by one person.  This OS has
a system for Kmail that says it will remember a password, but
it apparently doesn't work.  I always have to enter the p/w,
even tho I have told the system to remember it.  (It's 9.3.)

(It's obvious that a p/w remember program would not help me
at this point, since the computer that knows the passwords has
failed.  But it would be nice.  Windows did it.)

--doug

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

John Andersen
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 20:56, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> There really should be a means to remember passwords on
> computers that are only accessed by one person.

Aren't you running the kde wallet system?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: skype

Amit Joshi-2
On 10/25/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 20:56, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > There really should be a means to remember passwords on
> > computers that are only accessed by one person.
>
> Aren't you running the kde wallet system?
>
> --

Well..the KDE Wallet saves passwords for KDE applications.

You have to set it up in such a way that it will accept one centralized
password, and then provide access to the applications that demand the
credentials.

For example, if you have setup an account password with Kmail, the KDE
Wallet will ask you if you want KDE Wallet to handle this password. If you
say yes, the next time you open KMail..you will have to enter the password
associated with the KDE Wallet and not your Kmail account password.

As it is, the KDE Wallet will let you access all the applications with one
unanimous password. It will eventually provide the proper passwords to the
applications that demand 'em and you wouldn't have to worry, provided you
have entered the correct passwords the first time in the first place!

_____________________________________

http://mckagan.googlepages.com

Re: skype

John Andersen
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 21:51, Duff Mckagan wrote:

> On 10/25/06, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 October 2006 20:56, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > > There really should be a means to remember passwords on
> > > computers that are only accessed by one person.
> >
> > Aren't you running the kde wallet system?
> >
> > --
>
> Well..the KDE Wallet saves passwords for KDE applications.
>
> You have to set it up in such a way that it will accept one centralized
> password, and then provide access to the applications that demand the
> credentials.
>
> For example, if you have setup an account password with Kmail, the KDE
> Wallet will ask you if you want KDE Wallet to handle this password. If you
> say yes, the next time you open KMail..you will have to enter the password
> associated with the KDE Wallet and not your Kmail account password.
>
> As it is, the KDE Wallet will let you access all the applications with one
> unanimous password. It will eventually provide the proper passwords to the
> applications that demand 'em and you wouldn't have to worry, provided you
> have entered the correct passwords the first time in the first place!
Exactly my point. If you use Kong as your browser, the wallet will also
remember passwords from those web sites where they are used.

Other browsers such as mozilla and firefox use their own system to do the same
thing, but you have to remember which browser to use for each site.

Without the wallet, the best solution is to use one suitably complex password
for all sites where you need one.  That way you will not be forced to write
them down which is less secure than a SINGLE one you can remember.

I objected to the wallet, till I understood how it works.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: skype

kj-12
On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 04:25 +0200, stephan beal wrote:
> Right-click the link which says "Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled
> in", then click "Save link as..."

The SUSE 9.x rpm works perfectly on SUSE 10 and 10.1

Hans

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 22:15, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 04:25 +0200, stephan beal wrote:
> > Right-click the link which says "Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled
> > in", then click "Save link as..."
>
> The SUSE 9.x rpm works perfectly on SUSE 10 and 10.1
>
> Hans

Yup, and the beauty of the rpm system is that if there were unmet
dependencies it would tell you that.  Tarballs don't do that for you.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: skype

JB2-2
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 14:35, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
> in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
> seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
> welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
> not MS--hard drive not found.)

  Why not use open-source and go with Ekiga (formerly GnomeMeeting)? Packman
has the
rpm's I believe and the mailing list is always pretty busy and helpful.

<www.ekiga.org>

--
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented worker', is like calling a home
intruder an 'unwanted houseguest'.

JB wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 14:35, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>

>> From reading the list, I thought that SKYPE was supported
>> in Linux.  I've just been to their download site, and it only
>> seems to support Mac and Windows.  Comments or help
>> welcome.  (My Windows machine just broke--it's electrical,
>> not MS--hard drive not found.)
>>

>   Why not use open-source and go with Ekiga (formerly GnomeMeeting)? Packman
> has the
> rpm's I believe and the mailing list is always pretty busy and helpful.
>
> <www.ekiga.org>

Ekiga is very good. I used it for quite a long time.

However, Skype has clients for Windows, Mac and Linux that all talk to
each other very
nicely.   For me using a telephone application I need to be able to use
something that
talks to all the major OS's.  In addition Skype is offering free calling
to land lines within
the U.S. and Canada until the end of the year.   It also has a much
bigger market share
than Ekiga.  Skype also has answering machine service  and the ability
to send a voice
mail to another user amongst many other features.   I don't like closed
source software
but in this case...

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: skype

Alexa Pongracz
Skype is included with Mandriva, the newest version

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Wednesday 2006-10-25 at 09:21 -0700, Robert Lewis wrote:
>
> > than Ekiga.  Skype also has answering machine service and the
> ability to
> > send a voice mail to another user amongst many other features.  I don't
> > like closed source software but in this case...
>
> Then try OpenWengo instead.

I have tried OpenWengo.   Trying something and actually using something
daily fall into different catagories.  I can't convince the 100 or more
contacts
I have on Skype to switch.  Skype has the market, end of story IMNSHO.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

12