sale computer with linux

Bugzilla from collinm@laboiteaprog.com
hi

in argentina, we can buy computer with linux without problem, in usa, canada
it's harder....

dell, hp, compaq, nec, gateway sale all their computer for the public with
linux...

why company like novell, red hat, mandriva, lindows don't make pressure on
their company to sale computer with linux?

thank

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Lawrence Ferreira
Check it out:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/2013248

Le jeudi 14 septembre 2006 14:42, Lawrence Ferreira a écrit :
> Check it out:
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/2013248

i already read this news...

only one computer the ThinkPad T60p... and only one brand...... don't let a
lot of choice for the user

without pushes from linux distribution, computer company don't have change to
do something

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Doug McGarrett
At 02:54 PM 9/14/2006 -0400, Marc Collin wrote:

>Le jeudi 14 septembre 2006 14:42, Lawrence Ferreira a écrit :
>> Check it out:
>>
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/2013248
>>

>i already read this news...
>
>only one computer the ThinkPad T60p... and only one brand...... don't let a
>lot of choice for the user
>
>without pushes from linux distribution, computer company don't have change
>do something

Some time ago, I found a desktop computer, brand unknown, with reasonable
properties as far as the CPU, the video, etc., with Linspire loaded.  I bought
it.  Linspire went out the window quick when I found you had to _rent_ almost
every ap separately--linspire comes with KDE just about _only_.  It now has
Suse 10.0 on it, which works well except for the problem that developed in
KMail.  (I'm going to try the solution proposed a bit earlier on the list
here, to see if I can recover the stuff with the Asian fonts, but it's
still awfully goofy.)

Apparently Linspire has dropped the fees, and two places that you can
supposedly get a computer with Linspire preloaded are Walmart and Amazon.
I don't remember if mine came from Amazon or somewhere else.

<http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/52740.html>

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

RE: sale computer with linux

Darko Gavrilovic
Walmart used to sell a cheap Linux laptop. No idea what happened to that
product.

http://news.com.com/Wal-Mart+debuts+498+Linux+laptop/2100-1044_3-5498006.htm

cheers,
dg

Division of University Advancement
University of Toronto
http://www.dua.utoronto.ca

Jerry Feldman
It all comes down to demand and volume.
HP used to sell some systems with Linux loaded, but the demand was very low.
Dell, HP(and Compaq), Gateway, Lenovo are all high volume operations
selling millions of consumer PCs. While the popularity of Linux is growing,
it is not yet at the level where most of the vendors are going to put Linux
on. (Although we saw the Slashdot article that Lenovo is preloading SLED10
on the T60P Thinkpad).

I think you will see more companies preloading enterprise Linux on some of
the higher end business desktops and laptops, but not on the consumer
systems yet (at least in the US).
--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Linux Expertise Center (PTAC-MA/TX)

508-467-4315 (http://www.testdrive.hp.com)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Mike Noble

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> It all comes down to demand and volume.
> HP used to sell some systems with Linux loaded, but the demand was very low.
> Dell, HP(and Compaq), Gateway, Lenovo are all high volume operations
> selling millions of consumer PCs. While the popularity of Linux is growing,
> it is not yet at the level where most of the vendors are going to put Linux
> on. (Although we saw the Slashdot article that Lenovo is preloading SLED10
> on the T60P Thinkpad).
>
> I think you will see more companies preloading enterprise Linux on some of
> the higher end business desktops and laptops, but not on the consumer
> systems yet (at least in the US).

One of the main reasons is: what linux distro do the companies install
on their systems (SuSe, RedHat, Mandriva,etc....).  For the windows
side it is easy, there is only one, Windows XP (or whatever the current
Windows version is at the time.

Mike

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Carl Spitzer-4
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 13:43 -0400, Marc Collin wrote:

> hi
>
> in argentina, we can buy computer with linux without problem, in usa, canada
> it's harder....
>
> dell, hp, compaq, nec, gateway sale all their computer for the public with
> linux...
>
> why company like novell, red hat, mandriva, lindows don't make pressure on
> their company to sale computer with linux?

Pressure == MONEY and Mickey$oft has much more than we do.  However
Users can also create pressure but are probabily too lazy to learn
linux.  As ridiculus as that sounds you should see the nonsense during
our elections.  Windows sells not because of quality or price because he
long ago lost to us but because of marketing and packaging which is the
one thing at which he excells.

--
 ___ _ _ _ ____ _ _  _
|    | | | [__  | |  |

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

M Harris-2
On Thursday 14 September 2006 12:43, Marc Collin wrote:
> why company like novell, red hat, mandriva, lindows don't make pressure on
> their company to sale computer with linux?
     The simple answer....

     The M word.... take your pick...
     Micro$oft   (or)    Monopoly

     The reason is that Micro$oft's evil monopoly over the entire hardware and
software industry has choked free enterprise and stifled innovation. PERIOD.
     What it is going to take is pressure from consumers. This will happen
over time, but it will happen.
     I purchased an HP S7400n Slimline system for my daughter (deliberately)
for the benefit of introducing them Linux in an inexpensive way (system was
$399 preloaded with an XtraPricy OS from M$). I shrank the M$ partition and
installed Suse 10... worked beautifully out of the box with the exception of
audio... and that was quickly resolved with an Alsa driver from Realtek.
Anyway...
    My daughters (you might call them computer challenged) have XP and Suse
side-by-side so to speak (dula boot)... they are free to boot into either one
as they like without my prodding them... we're several hundred miles apart---
and guess what... they like Suse. Their Windows side is installed with a
licensed edition of Office 2003 (student/teacher) and their Suse side is
preloaded with OpenOffice...  of course.  Guess what... they *prefer*
OpenOffice... free pdf export, and all the cool features of Office with the
exception of markup... which they don't use anyway.
     What's the point... its gonna take time for folks to discover the trend
away from proprietary... and it is gonna take time for the daughters and mom
and pops of the world to realize there is a better choice...    My second
daughter didn't want anything to do with linux until the first daughter kept
talking it up... then.... whalla now both of them love it. Of course my
youngest kids (still at home) don't have a choice... all they are learning is
Linux cause I don't let 'em use anything else.  :-O
     I really like the Suse motto--- Have lots of fun!  .... because linux has
definitely put the fun back into computing.... the kitchen table programmer
is back... hackers have a new spring in their step.... and innovation has
begun to soar again... its really exciting to say the least.  With every
passing day more folks will be trying linux.  Sooner or later folks will be
demanding preloaded linux machines.  Its time.
     So... call your favorite hardware vendor and demand it... "I'm not buying
one more silly system loaded with anything from Redmond...."

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

stephan beal
On Thursday 14 September 2006 20:42, Lawrence Ferreira wrote:

> Check it out:
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/2013248
>
> Marc Collin wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > in argentina, we can buy computer with linux without problem, in
> > usa, canada it's harder....
> >
> > dell, hp, compaq, nec, gateway sale all their computer for the
> > public with linux...

i worked for Compaq for 5 years, and i can assure they DID try to sell
Linux (and BeOS) computers. The problem was that nobody wanted to buy
them. Old colleagues of mine who are still at HP (HP bought Compaq in
2000, right after i left the company) have told me of several attempts
to sell Linux-based PCs. The main problem, as always, has been people's
reluctance to buy them.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: sale computer with linux

Jerry Feldman-2
On Thursday 14 September 2006 9:37 pm, Mike Noble wrote:
> One of the main reasons is: what linux distro do the companies install
> on their systems (SuSe, RedHat, Mandriva,etc....).  For the windows
> side it is easy, there is only one, Windows XP (or whatever the current
> Windows version is at the time.
Close. Microsoft does not issue a new realease all that frequently, and
essentially it is a cloning operation.

And, on the Linux side, not only do you have the distros themselves, but you
also have other choices, such as whether to configure for KDE or GNOME.

we had a Linux installfest a few weeks ago, and one guy (a retired MIT
professor) had a laptop with RHEL 4 installed (from PCs for everyone). He
wanted us to help him configure it. Unfortunately, they apparently did not
give him the root password. Since this was a new system, I sent him back to
the store, but PCs for everyone closed their store in Cambridge, Ma after
some drunk judge crashed into it (they were adjacent to the courthouse).

What Linux needs is a simple cusomer configuration interface that would come
up the first time, and allow the customer to configure the system. YaST
comes close to this. Essentially, the system would be configured with the
distribution sources (eg. DVD 1) set up as the installation source. The
system would be configured for a typical office workstation. The first time
wizard would be extremely user friendly, and after the initial root
password and user password, it would take a very short tour.
--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:34 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> Apparently Linspire has dropped the fees, and two places that you can
> supposedly get a computer with Linspire preloaded are Walmart and Amazon.
> I don't remember if mine came from Amazon or somewhere else.
>
> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/52740.html>

Also Fry's electronics in the western US.
--
 ___ _ _ _ ____ _ _  _
|    | | | [__  | |  |

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Carl Spitzer-4
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:34 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> Apparently Linspire has dropped the fees, and two places that you can
> supposedly get a computer with Linspire preloaded are Walmart and Amazon.
> I don't remember if mine came from Amazon or somewhere else.
>
> <http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/52740.html>

Also Fry's electronics in the western US.
--
 ___ _ _ _ ____ _ _  _
|    | | | [__  | |  |
|___ |_|_| ___] |  \/

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: sale computer with linux

Fred A. Miller
On Friday 15 September 2006 4:51 am, stephan beal wrote:
> > > dell, hp, compaq, nec, gateway sale all their computer for the
> > > public with linux...
>
> i worked for Compaq for 5 years, and i can assure they DID try to sell
> Linux (and BeOS) computers. The problem was that nobody wanted to buy
> them. Old colleagues of mine who are still at HP (HP bought Compaq in
> 2000, right after i left the company) have told me of several attempts
> to sell Linux-based PCs. The main problem, as always, has been people's
> reluctance to buy them.

AS ALWAYS, HP's error, is that their marketing people have their heads in the
sand. IF you don't ADD "available with SUSE Linux" in your NATIONAL TV ads,
you aren't going to see very many. It's the total gutless fools who control
marketing depts. in all companies, EXCEPT MickySoft, who are to blame. I
mention MickySoft only because they know how to market and get the job done.
HP, DELL, etc., are controlled by gutless wonders. In addition, and I HAVE
suggested this to HP, IF they ONLY used Linux compatible chipsets and cards
(ALL hardware - goodbye Broadcom), then it's easy to preload and ADVERTISE
that HP's systems are Linux ready! Considering their purchasing power, I know
full well that their costs aren't going to go up.

There's my 2 cents.

Fred

--
MickySoft, the ultimate corporate parasite.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]