rpm update to 4.10.2 still possible?

Dirk Müller

 Hi,

while debugging a kiwi build issue I noticed that this is a bug in rpm
4.10, which we have in openSUSE Factory. It is already fixed in 4.10.2,
which got released already a few weeks ago.

I've updated the Factory rpm package to 4.10.2, which includes the bugfix that
blocks ARM builds currently, but now I learned that we have already a version
freeze for 12.3 in place.

Looking at the changes between 4.10.0 and 4.10.2, all are serious bugfixes
or regression fixes, one is even tagged as a security fix. so we'll likely
end up with something very close to 4.10.2 anyway.

The package is currently in devel:Factory:ARM and in openSUSE:Factory:ARM, as
I need it to build proper images.

 Any recommendation?

 Thanks,
 Dirk

Re: rpm update to 4.10.2 still possible?

Lars Vogdt
On Mi 02 Jan 2013 16:13:35 CET Dirk Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looking at the changes between 4.10.0 and 4.10.2, all are serious bugfixes
> or regression fixes, one is even tagged as a security fix. so we'll likely
> end up with something very close to 4.10.2 anyway.
>
> The package is currently in devel:Factory:ARM and in openSUSE:Factory:ARM, as
> I need it to build proper images.
>
>  Any recommendation?

My suggestion would be: submit.

But as I'm not in the "distribution release team" (or however Coolo
and Ismail are named today), I like to ask you to get an answer from
them... :-)

With kind regards,
Lars

Re: rpm update to 4.10.2 still possible?

İsmail Dönmez-2
On 03-01-2013 03:27, Lars Vogdt wrote:

> On Mi 02 Jan 2013 16:13:35 CET Dirk Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looking at the changes between 4.10.0 and 4.10.2, all are serious
>> bugfixes
>> or regression fixes, one is even tagged as a security fix. so we'll
>> likely
>> end up with something very close to 4.10.2 anyway.
>>
>> The package is currently in devel:Factory:ARM and in
>> openSUSE:Factory:ARM, as
>> I need it to build proper images.
>>
>>  Any recommendation?
>
> My suggestion would be: submit.
>
> But as I'm not in the "distribution release team" (or however Coolo and
> Ismail are named today), I like to ask you to get an answer from them...
> :-)

This makes sense for me too but its coolo's call.

Regards.

--
Ismail Dönmez - openSUSE Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH

Re: rpm update to 4.10.2 still possible?

Stephan Kulow-3
On 03.01.2013 10:35, Ismail Doenmez wrote:

> On 03-01-2013 03:27, Lars Vogdt wrote:
>> On Mi 02 Jan 2013 16:13:35 CET Dirk Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Looking at the changes between 4.10.0 and 4.10.2, all are serious
>>> bugfixes
>>> or regression fixes, one is even tagged as a security fix. so we'll
>>> likely
>>> end up with something very close to 4.10.2 anyway.
>>>
>>> The package is currently in devel:Factory:ARM and in
>>> openSUSE:Factory:ARM, as
>>> I need it to build proper images.
>>>
>>>  Any recommendation?
>>
>> My suggestion would be: submit.
>>
>> But as I'm not in the "distribution release team" (or however Coolo and
>> Ismail are named today), I like to ask you to get an answer from them...
>> :-)

Go for it. To make this more transparent to people:

The feature freeze marks the time when I want to see a discussion about
version updates instead of "just go for it". So in case like this when
we have a real bug with a real fix and a version update that goes with
it, we will check how big the chance is that we break other stuff and
then go for it.

Greetings, Stephan