request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Dinar Valeev
Hello,

I'm interested in to start translation of susebook to Russian language
for 11.3 and Factory.

Could you please create new branch on berlios.de and give me access rights?

My berlios login name is k0da

Thanks in advance,
Dinar Valeev

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Juergen Weigert-2
On Apr 19, 10 13:50:34 +0200, Dinar Valeev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in to start translation of susebook to Russian language
> for 11.3 and Factory.
>
> Could you please create new branch on berlios.de and give me access rights?
>
> My berlios login name is k0da

I've created a few empty directories in the opensuse-doc repository.
We'll populate the books/en hierarchy with a locdrop snapshot.

Looks like nontrivial to give admin rights for selected subdirectories
in a repo. I'll investigate further.

If indeed nontrivial, second option is to maintain a seperate repo for each
language, (e.g. opensuse-doc-ru) and pull them into
opensuse-doc/trunk/.../LANG using a set of svn:external links.

Writing this, just to let you know what we are up to.

        cheers,
                JW-

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green!    __/ _=======.=======_
<V> | [hidden email]       back to ascii!  __/        _---|____________\/

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Dinar Valeev
Hello Juergen,

Thanks, I've got write access!

Have a nice day,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Juergen Weigert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 10 13:50:34 +0200, Dinar Valeev wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm interested in to start translation of susebook to Russian language
>> for 11.3 and Factory.
>>
>> Could you please create new branch on berlios.de and give me access rights?
>>
>> My berlios login name is k0da
>
> I've created a few empty directories in the opensuse-doc repository.
> We'll populate the books/en hierarchy with a locdrop snapshot.
>
> Looks like nontrivial to give admin rights for selected subdirectories
> in a repo. I'll investigate further.
>
> If indeed nontrivial, second option is to maintain a seperate repo for each
> language, (e.g. opensuse-doc-ru) and pull them into
> opensuse-doc/trunk/.../LANG using a set of svn:external links.
>
> Writing this, just to let you know what we are up to.
>
>        cheers,
>                JW-
>
> --
>  o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green!    __/ _=======.=======_
> <V> | [hidden email]       back to ascii!  __/        _---|____________\/
>  \  | 0911 74053-508                __/          (____/            /\
> (/) | _____________________________/              _/ \_ vim:set sw=2 wm=8
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Frank Sundermeyer
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:

Hi Dinar,

> Hello Juergen,
>
> Thanks, I've got write access!

we are currently investigating how to best manage community
translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
needs?

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Dinar Valeev
Hi Frank,

We plan to start from small books like kdequick, gnomequick, startup.
Then translate bigger ones. suse specific first (zypper,apparmor)
stanza by stanza.

I'm using simple text editor like gedit (but taking care about syntax)

The main challenge I see now, is how to keep track changes on eng
version. Since in not possible at all to compare en and ru with diff.
We can only track stanza changes in specific file (by comparing eng
new vs old one), then find changed content manually in translated
files.

Have a nice day,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Frank Sundermeyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
>
> Hi Dinar,
>
>> Hello Juergen,
>>
>> Thanks, I've got write access!
>
> we are currently investigating how to best manage community
> translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
> the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
> needs?
>
> --
> Regards
>        Frank
>
> Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
> SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
> Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
> SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)
> "Reality is always controlled by the people who are most insane" Dogbert

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
> > Hello Juergen,
> >
> > Thanks, I've got write access!
>
> we are currently investigating how to best manage community
> translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
> the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
> needs?

How about using git and the openSUSE

http://www.gitorious.org/opensuse

It has a lot of the openUSE stuff and I was told that they are going to
move all the novell svn openSUSE to this location.

--
Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

On Apr 20, 10 11:58:25 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
> > > Hello Juergen,
> > >
> > > Thanks, I've got write access!
> >
> > we are currently investigating how to best manage community
> > translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
> > the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
> > needs?
>
> How about using git and the openSUSE
>
> http://www.gitorious.org/opensuse
>
> It has a lot of the openUSE stuff and I was told that they are going to
> move all the novell svn openSUSE to this location.

That does not work.
Our docmanager infrastructure uses a few distinguishing features of SVN:
E.g. partial checkouts, path-based access control, and revision based properties.
All of these are weak points with GIT.

And then, we are cautious(*), too. We have been using SVN for a long time,
we know the commands, and the pitfalls. Our build mechanics direct use Perl
and Python bindings of subversion.
Who would want to touch a running system, anyway?

We've identified a few potential benefit of git, though.
But none justifies the effort.

cheers,
        JW-

PS: (*) "cautious" as in not hunting what appears to be hip;
as in keeping a steady pace; and as in 'no thank you, we
know that pain'.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green!    __/ _=======.=======_
<V> | [hidden email]       back to ascii!  __/        _---|____________\/
 \  | 0911 74053-508                __/          (____/            /\
(/) | _____________________________/              _/ \_ vim:set sw=2 wm=8

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Juergen Weigert-2
Hi Dinar!
Great to hear that it works!

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
> Hello Juergen,
>
> Thanks, I've got write access!

I've applied commit-access-control.cfg
so that book/distribution/en/*
subtree is readonly.

Please check that you can still
move freely inside book/distribution/ru/*

Oh, and commit-logs are mandatory now.
Hope this is okay with you :-)

        cheers,
                JW-

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green!    __/ _=======.=======_
<V> | [hidden email]       back to ascii!  __/        _---|____________\/
 \  | 0911 74053-508                __/          (____/            /\
(/) | _____________________________/              _/ \_ vim:set sw=2 wm=8

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
2010/4/20 Frank Sundermeyer <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:36:59 +0200 Dinar Valeev wrote:
>
> Hi Dinar,
>
>> Hello Juergen,
>>
>> Thanks, I've got write access!
>
> we are currently investigating how to best manage community
> translations. Would you mind explaining your translation process and
> the tools you are using, so we will be able to better understand your
> needs?
>
> --
> Regardsiu
>        Frank
>
> Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
> SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
> Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
> SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)
> "Reality is always controlled by the people who are most insane" Dogbert

Hi, we (pt_BR translation team) actually use an external svn
(http://code.google.com/p/opensuse-startup-pt-br/downloads/list) with
xml converted to .po format (more suitable to the rest of team) and I
do the convertions (xml -> po, po -> xml and xml -> pdf) and the
workflow is the same as Dinar (easy and short firsts, more advanced
later); For 11.2 release we manage to have the startup and all the
quick guides translated, this time we aim the kde and gnome books.

Regards,

Luiz

Re: request for ru branch for susebook on berlios

Dinar Valeev
Hi Juergen,

I still have commit rights!

Thanks,