reminder for systemd services: do not use syslog.target anymore

reminder for systemd services: do not use syslog.target anymore

Frederic Crozat-4
Hi all,

just a reminder because I had to fix one package (sendmail) which had a
hard dependency on syslog.target (Requires), in addition to
After=syslog.target.

With recent (>202) systemd release, syslog.target is no longer provided:
services are ensured they are started after logging socket is setup, so
journal will capture all syslog messages and will store them and forward
them to syslog implementation (if running).

With openSUSE 12.3, having syslog.target was already not doing anything
(but the target was still there) but it was removed in Factory.

I think very few packages have systemd service file with
"Requires=syslog.target", which does break in Factory (sendmail was an
example). For packages with only "After=syslog.target", there won't be
any issue (since it is just an ordering information).

In any case, if you are still seeing services with syslog.target as
Requires or After, please clean them.

Thanks !
--
Frederic Crozat <[hidden email]>
SUSE

Re: reminder for systemd services: do not use syslog.target anymore

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 28/05/13 12:40, Frederic Crozat escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> just a reminder because I had to fix one package (sendmail) which had a
> hard dependency on syslog.target (Requires), in addition to
> After=syslog.target.
>
> With recent (>202) systemd release, syslog.target is no longer provided:
> services are ensured they are started after logging socket is setup, so
> journal will capture all syslog messages and will store them and forward
> them to syslog implementation (if running).
>
> With openSUSE 12.3, having syslog.target was already not doing anything
> (but the target was still there) but it was removed in Factory.
>
> I think very few packages have systemd service file with
> "Requires=syslog.target", which does break in Factory (sendmail was an
> example). For packages with only "After=syslog.target", there won't be
> any issue (since it is just an ordering information).
>
> In any case, if you are still seeing services with syslog.target as
> Requires or After, please clean them.
>
> Thanks !

I already fixed those I saw a while ago, but there might be more (IIRC,
also package "syslogd" needs fixing, I did not changed it, but only
syslog-ng and rsyslog) .

How to properly hook up syslog implementations is documented here -->
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/syslog/ but for some
reason people is not RTFM :-|

Re: reminder for systemd services: do not use syslog.target anymore

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Tuesday 2013-05-28 18:40, Frederic Crozat wrote:

>just a reminder because I had to fix one package (sendmail) which had a
>hard dependency on syslog.target (Requires), in addition to
>After=syslog.target.
>
>With openSUSE 12.3, having syslog.target was already not doing anything
>(but the target was still there) but it was removed in Factory.
>
>I think very few packages have systemd service file with
>"Requires=syslog.target", which does break in Factory (sendmail was an
>example). For packages with only "After=syslog.target", there won't be
>any issue (since it is just an ordering information).
>
>In any case, if you are still seeing services with syslog.target as
>Requires or After, please clean them.

Here are the 62 culprits, of which 6 have syslog.target in Requires=.

lib/systemd/system/netatalk.service:After=syslog.target network.target avahi-daemon.service
lib/systemd/system/postgrey.service:After=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
lib/systemd/system/postgrey.service:Requires=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/acpid.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service:After=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service:Requires=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/apcupsd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/argus.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/arpwatch.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/cf-execd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/cf-monitord.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/cf-serverd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/console-kit-daemon.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/godoc.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/irqbalance.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/irqd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/kadmind.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/knot.service:After=syslog.target network.target auditd.service
usr/lib/systemd/system/kpropd.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/krb5kdc.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirt-guests.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/lm_sensors.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/mcelog.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/multipathd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service:After=syslog.target network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/openwsman.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/pure-ftpd.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/rabbitmq-server.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/radvd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/restorecond.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/rygel.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/salt-api.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/salt-master.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/salt-minion.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/salt-syndic.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/sanlock.service:After=syslog.target wdmd.service
usr/lib/systemd/system/sendmail.service:After=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/sendmail.service:Requires=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target remote-fs.target syslog.target time-sync.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/sfcbd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/shorewall-init.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/shorewall-lite.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/shorewall.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/shorewall6-lite.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/shorewall6.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/smartd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/spamd.service:After=remote-fs.target syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/spamd.service:Requires=remote-fs.target syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/spampd.service:After=remote-fs.target syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/spampd.service:Requires=remote-fs.target syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/sshd.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/sssd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/strongswan.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/syslogd.service:Before=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/syslogd.service:Requires=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlockd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/wdmd.service:After=syslog.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/xl2tpd.service:After=syslog.target network.target
usr/lib/systemd/system/yppasswdd.service:After=syslog.target network.target rpcbind.service ypserv.service
usr/lib/systemd/system/ypserv.service:After=syslog.target network.target rpcbind.service slpd.service
usr/lib/systemd/system/ypxfrd.service:After=syslog.target network.target rpcbind.service ypserv.service

El 29/05/13 10:15, Jan Engelhardt escribió:

> Here are the 62 culprits, of which 6 have syslog.target in Requires=.

The ones "After"s "Before"s and any ordering only option, could be
ignored, however those using Requires have to be fixed.

Those "Requires" , except the ones on mount points have to be changed to
"Wants" instead.

"Wants= [...] This is the recommended way to hook start-up of one unit
to the start-up of another unit" , but apparently, reading the
documentation is not a common exercise these days. :-P