recode missing since before last snaphot

recode missing since before last snaphot

Michael Hirmke
Hi *,

I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
Can it be readded?

TIA.
Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: recode missing since before last snaphot

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Michael Hirmke <[hidden email]> [01-23-18 15:58]:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
> Can it be readded?

http://software.opensuse.org/search
   recode

Re: recode missing since before last snaphot

Michael Hirmke
Hi,

>* Michael Hirmke <[hidden email]> [01-23-18 15:58]:
>> Hi *,
>>
>> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
>> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
>> Can it be readded?

>http://software.opensuse.org/search
>   recode

yes, and for Tumbleweed it is only available as 32bit version or as
unstable package.
So it is no longer part of the "official" Tumbleweed release.

>--
>(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri

Thx and bye.
Michael.

On 2018-01-23 21:56, Michael Hirmke wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
> Can it be readded?

AFAIK there are problems with it. See thread "Request 545194 would cause
drop of fortune" in the factory mail list, by the end of November.

Re: recode missing since before last snaphot

Richard Brown
On 23 January 2018 at 21:56, Michael Hirmke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
> Can it be readded?
>
> TIA.
> Bye.

It was dropped intentionally

Quoting from SUSE's internal discussion on the topic

"Recode is dead upstream. The upstream author is not among us anymore
and nobody picked up the development. There are known issue with
conversions that are not being fixed and basically we would have to
become upstream for it to move forward."

3 months ago SUSE decided they wouldn't take over the upstream for
recode, and in that time no one else from openSUSE has stood up to
take over upstream responsibility for recode, and so it has been
dropped from our distribution as unmaintained.

It will not be readded. It is recommended that iconv should be used instead.

Re: recode missing since before last snaphot

Michael Hirmke
Hi,

[...]
>> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
>> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
>> Can it be readded?
>>
>> TIA.
>> Bye.

>It was dropped intentionally

>https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/537522

>Quoting from SUSE's internal discussion on the topic

>"Recode is dead upstream. The upstream author is not among us anymore
>and nobody picked up the development. There are known issue with
>conversions that are not being fixed and basically we would have to
>become upstream for it to move forward."

>3 months ago SUSE decided they wouldn't take over the upstream for
>recode, and in that time no one else from openSUSE has stood up to
>take over upstream responsibility for recode, and so it has been
>dropped from our distribution as unmaintained.

>It will not be readded. It is recommended that iconv should be used instead.

Thx for the explanation.
I will switch to iconv then.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: recode missing since before last snaphot

Michael Hirmke
Hi Carlos,

[...]
>> I'm missing recode since the before last Tumbleweed snapshot.
>> Has it been removed deliberately or by mistake?
>> Can it be readded?

>AFAIK there are problems with it. See thread "Request 545194 would cause
>drop of fortune" in the factory mail list, by the end of November.

thx, must have missed that thread somehow or my brain gets too old to
remember 8-<

>Cheers / Saludos,

> Carlos E. R.

Bye.