"My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

"My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

Richard Pace
Hi:
I'm running opensuse 10.2 on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
using kernel Linux 2.6.20-rc5-git1-20070124145831-default x86_64.

KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.2".

Right after boot, "My Computer" desktop application shows what I think is the
correct CPU speed: 2,000.00 MHz.

"My Computer" seems to refresh itself.  If I leave the window up, over time I
see the speed change to 1,800.00 MHz, back to 2,000.00 MHz.  Then finally, it
changes permanently to 1,000.00 MHz.

cat /proc/cpuinfo  shows 2 CPUs, processor 0 and processor 1, and each CPU MHz
1000.000.  So together that should be 2000.00 MHz.

Output from cat /proc/cpuinfo follows:

richard@linux:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2005.94
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2005.94
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

Is this a KDE Konqueror problem or something else?
Regards,
Richard

Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

John Pierce-3
If it is not running, kde->System->Desktop Applet->Kpowersave, right
click on the taskbar icon and choose set active scheme->performance.
If kpowersave is running you will have a little ac powercord in the
taskbar.

I experienced this same thing on an Athlon 64 2000Mhz, it is nothing
more than acpi throttling the cpu to conserve power.  If you left
click the icon it will bring up a monitor window, then launch a couple
of applications and watch the speed increase to meet demand.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

Alexey Eromenko
Don't worry about your CPU. All modern CPUs (Athlon 64, Pentium 4,
Core 2, ...) can enter power-saving features, which lowers their speed
automatically when idle.

If you put some heavy task on tham, they will run full-speed.

There are utilities that can measure speed accurately (under Windows)
in Real-Time, but I don't know such utilities under Linux.

Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

Aveek Bhattacharya-2
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Don't worry about your CPU. All modern CPUs (Athlon 64, Pentium 4,
> Core 2, ...) can enter power-saving features, which lowers their speed
> automatically when idle.
>
> If you put some heavy task on tham, they will run full-speed.
>
> There are utilities that can measure speed accurately (under Windows)
> in Real-Time, but I don't know such utilities under Linux.

Hello all,

A simple command is:
  watch -n 5 grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
or with powersaved running (in Alexey's case, it is running)
  watch -n 5 powersave -r

KPowersave also shows real-time CPU speed, which it gets from
powersaved. (Does powersaved use information from /proc?) The sysinfo
KIO slave (which is 'My Computer') uses /proc directly.

Aveek Bhattacharya
IIT Bombay

DITTISHAM (n.)
Any music you hear on the radio to which you have to listen very
carefully to determine whether it is an advertising jingle or a
bona fide record.

Douglas Adams - The Meaning of Liff

Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

Philipp Thomas-2
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:06:17 -0800, Richard Pace wrote:

>"My Computer" seems to refresh itself.  If I leave the window up, over time I
>see the speed change to 1,800.00 MHz, back to 2,000.00 MHz.  Then finally, it
>changes permanently to 1,000.00 MHz.
>
>cat /proc/cpuinfo  shows 2 CPUs, processor 0 and processor 1, and each CPU MHz
>1000.000.  So together that should be 2000.00 MHz.
[...]
>Is this a KDE Konqueror problem or something else?

When not doing heavy work, modern CPUs reduce their speed to save
power and that is exactly what you're seeing. So there's no need for
worrying :)

Philipp

Re: Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

John Pierce-3
> >cat /proc/cpuinfo  shows 2 CPUs, processor 0 and processor 1, and each CPU MHz
> >1000.000.  So together that should be 2000.00 MHz.
> [...]
No, it is not totaled up, each processor will go to 2000 Mhz when they
are at full throttle.  In the KPowersave you can right click and tell
kpowersave to set the scheme to performance and it will keep the cpus
at full throttle.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Re: Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

Doug McGarrett
On Saturday 27 January 2007 18:00, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:06:17 -0800, Richard Pace wrote:
> >"My Computer" seems to refresh itself.

The usage, "My Computer," "My Files," etc. seems puerile to me,
especially to those of us who have more than one computer, or
one at home and one at work, etc.  It is what I would expect of
MS, but I think it should go away on Linux.  I always change it
to "This Computer" in both OS's, and that's what I think it ought
to be.

--doug

Re: Re: "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect

James Knott
Doug McGarrett wrote:

> On Saturday 27 January 2007 18:00, Philipp Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:06:17 -0800, Richard Pace wrote:
>>
>>> "My Computer" seems to refresh itself.
>>>

> The usage, "My Computer," "My Files," etc. seems puerile to me,
> especially to those of us who have more than one computer, or
> one at home and one at work, etc.  It is what I would expect of
> MS, but I think it should go away on Linux.  I always change it
> to "This Computer" in both OS's, and that's what I think it ought
> to be.
>
> --doug

I change it to the computer name.  I often use remote desktops and it
helps to have a reminder about which computer I'm working on.