"Block images..." in Seamonkey and Thunderbird

"Block images..." in Seamonkey and Thunderbird

James Knott
Seamonkey recently introduced a setting for the email program, to block
images from other sources.  It has also been in Thunderbird for a
while.  I turned this "feature" off, as I find it to be very annoying.
However, I cannot find any way to disable it in Thunderbird.  Is there a
way to turn it off?

tnx jk

Re: "Block images..." in Seamonkey and Thunderbird

Per Jessen-2
James Knott wrote:

> Seamonkey recently introduced a setting for the email program, to
> block images from other sources.  It has also been in Thunderbird for
> a while.  I turned this "feature" off, as I find it to be very
> annoying. However, I cannot find any way to disable it in Thunderbird.
> Is there a way to turn it off?

You can at least enable showing of images per sender address, but I
don't know if there is a global option.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.4°C)

Re: "Block images..." in Seamonkey and Thunderbird

Basil Chupin-2
On 15/03/12 21:41, Per Jessen wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> Seamonkey recently introduced a setting for the email program, to
>> block images from other sources.  It has also been in Thunderbird for
>> a while.  I turned this "feature" off, as I find it to be very
>> annoying. However, I cannot find any way to disable it in Thunderbird.
>> Is there a way to turn it off?
> You can at least enable showing of images per sender address, but I
> don't know if there is a global option.

The very first entry in the Personal Address book - shown as ">" - is
the global entry. By default it is not set (ie it is not ticked). Tick
it if you want to allow remote content from every Tom, Dick and Harry.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli

On 15/03/12 22:17, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 15/03/12 21:41, Per Jessen wrote:
>> James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> Seamonkey recently introduced a setting for the email program, to
>>> block images from other sources.  It has also been in Thunderbird for
>>> a while.  I turned this "feature" off, as I find it to be very
>>> annoying. However, I cannot find any way to disable it in Thunderbird.
>>> Is there a way to turn it off?
>> You can at least enable showing of images per sender address, but I
>> don't know if there is a global option.
>
> The very first entry in the Personal Address book - shown as ">" - is
> the global entry. By default it is not set (ie it is not ticked). Tick
> it if you want to allow remote content from every Tom, Dick and Harry.
>
> BC

I should have also added, "...and from spammers and porn sites."

BC

Per Jessen wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>
>> Seamonkey recently introduced a setting for the email program, to
>> block images from other sources.  It has also been in Thunderbird for
>> a while.  I turned this "feature" off, as I find it to be very
>> annoying. However, I cannot find any way to disable it in Thunderbird.
>> Is there a way to turn it off?
> You can at least enable showing of images per sender address, but I
> don't know if there is a global option.

Yes, I know that can be done, but it requires adding the sender to an
address book.  I've even had a separate address book, just for that
purpose.  However, there's so many addresses in it, that it's
interfering with address completion, as all those saved addresses, that
I'll never send a message to, are appearing when I start to type an
address when composing a message.

Between spam filtering and my own ability to recognize suspicious
messages & links, I really don't need this.  I can turn it off in
Seamonkey, but not Thunderbird.

Basil Chupin wrote:
> The very first entry in the Personal Address book - shown as ">" - is
> the global entry. By default it is not set (ie it is not ticked). Tick
> it if you want to allow remote content from every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Where do you see that ">" in the Thunderbird address book.  When I open
it, I see one that's clicked on to show my lists, but that's all it does.

On 17/03/12 04:11, James Knott wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> The very first entry in the Personal Address book - shown as ">" - is
>> the global entry. By default it is not set (ie it is not ticked).
>> Tick it if you want to allow remote content from every Tom, Dick and
>> Harry.
>
> Where do you see that ">" in the Thunderbird address book.  When I
> open it, I see one that's clicked on to show my lists, but that's all
> it does.

It is the very first entry in my Personal Address Book (the other 2 are
called addresses and Collected Addresses) and this Personal Address Book
comes up when you select either Contacts when reading/writing an e-mail
(as I am doing now) or when you click on Addresses when you are about to
write an e-mail.

I have to add here that I do *not* allow anyone's e-mail - only 1
exception, a broadsheet to which I am subscribed - to display remote
text so I don't use this entry.

Now that I am having a think about all this, how hard would it be to
simply click on the "button" in Thunderbird when it displays "Remote
text blocked" or whatever the wording is?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I don't want to see any porno stuff
or other crap showing up on my screen when I receive unsolicited mail.
And even though I and my ISP have filters set for spam/junk such crap
still manages to get thru. So, personally, I prefer to be allowed to
select whose remote text/graphics I can see on my screen rather than go
about stopping the text/graphics *AFTER* the event. But then, that's me
:-) .

BC