qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi *,

I installed qt5-creator today, but obviously didn't get any examples.
For qt4 there was a package called qt4-devel-doc, which was said to
contain the examples. Is there a similar package for qt5 creator or
where do I get the examples?
I'm a bloody beginner, so I have to rely heavily on examples and
documentation :)

Thx and bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Adam Mizerski
W dniu 20.01.2018 o 18:07, Michael Hirmke pisze:

> Hi *,
>
> I installed qt5-creator today, but obviously didn't get any examples.
> For qt4 there was a package called qt4-devel-doc, which was said to
> contain the examples. Is there a similar package for qt5 creator or
> where do I get the examples?
> I'm a bloody beginner, so I have to rely heavily on examples and
> documentation :)
>
> Thx and bye.
> Michael.

Hi,

There are many packages with examples for qt5:

$ zypper --no-refresh se 'libqt5-*-examples'
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                            | Summary                          |
Type
--+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+--------
  | libqt5-qt3d-examples            | Qt5 3D examples                  |
package
  | libqt5-qtbase-examples          | Qt5 base examples                |
package
  | libqt5-qtconnectivity-examples  | Qt5 location examples            |
package
  | libqt5-qtdeclarative-examples   | Qt5 quick/qml examples           |
package
  | libqt5-qtlocation-examples      | Qt5 location examples            |
package
  | libqt5-qtmultimedia-examples    | Qt5 multimedia examples          |
package
  | libqt5-qtquickcontrols-examples | Qt5 quickcontrols examples       |
package
  | libqt5-qtscript-examples        | Qt5 script examples              |
package
  | libqt5-qtsensors-examples       | Qt5 sensors examples             |
package
  | libqt5-qtserialport-examples    | Qt5 Serial Port examples         |
package
  | libqt5-qtsvg-examples           | Qt5 svg examples                 |
package
  | libqt5-qttools-examples         | Qt5 tools examples               |
package
  | libqt5-qtwayland-examples       | Qt5 wayland examples             |
package
  | libqt5-qtwebchannel-examples    | Qt5 sensors examples             |
package
  | libqt5-qtwebengine-examples     | Qt5 location examples            |
package
  | libqt5-qtwebkit-examples        | Qt 5 QtWebKit Examples and Demos |
package
  | libqt5-qtwebsockets-examples    | Qt5 websockets examples          |
package
  | libqt5-qtxmlpatterns-examples   | Qt5 xmlpatterns examples         |
package

--
Adam Mizerski

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi Adam,

[...]

>> I installed qt5-creator today, but obviously didn't get any examples.
>> For qt4 there was a package called qt4-devel-doc, which was said to
>> contain the examples. Is there a similar package for qt5 creator or
>> where do I get the examples?
>> I'm a bloody beginner, so I have to rely heavily on examples and
>> documentation :)
>>=20
>> Thx and bye.
>> Michael.
>>=20

>Hi,

>There are many packages with examples for qt5:

>$ zypper --no-refresh se 'libqt5-*-examples'
[...]

I installed them, but they don't show up in qt creator as selectable
examples. What am I doing wrong?

Thx and bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Samstag, 20. Jänner 2018, 21:51:00 CET schrieb Michael Hirmke:
> I installed them, but they don't show up in qt creator as selectable
> examples. What am I doing wrong?

It seems as if Qt Creator doesn't look into the Qt5 paths we use in openSUSE.
It does display the Qt4 examples if installed (I suppose that's not what you
want though... ;-) ), and it also (only) displays the Qt4 docs.
The latter can be rectified manually by adding the corresponding qch files in
its settings, but I found no way to do something similar with the examples.

You should be able to open them manually though, they are installed to /usr/
lib64/qt5/examples/.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi Wolfgang,

>Am Samstag, 20. Jänner 2018, 21:51:00 CET schrieb Michael Hirmke:
>> I installed them, but they don't show up in qt creator as selectable
>> examples. What am I doing wrong?

>It seems as if Qt Creator doesn't look into the Qt5 paths we use in openSUSE.
>It does display the Qt4 examples if installed (I suppose that's not what you
>want though... ;-) ), and it also (only) displays the Qt4 docs.

no, not really :)

>The latter can be rectified manually by adding the corresponding qch files in
>its settings, but I found no way to do something similar with the examples.

>You should be able to open them manually though, they are installed to /usr/
>lib64/qt5/examples/.

Did that, but it definitely would have been easier to open them directly
in Qt Creator. Opening them manually includes copying them to a
different path, because you would need root permissions to access them
in the original location 8-/
Would it make sense to open a bug for it?

>Kind Regards,
>Wolfgang

Thx and bye.
Michael.

Am Montag, 22. Januar 2018, 15:53:39 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> It seems as if Qt Creator doesn't look into the Qt5 paths we use in
> openSUSE. It does display the Qt4 examples if installed (I suppose that's
> not what you want though... ;-) ), and it also (only) displays the Qt4
> docs.

PS, found this:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Examples_in_Qt_Creator#Sources

So Qt Creator is running "qmake --query" to find the locations.
But /usr/bin/qmake points to the Qt4 version in openSUSE...

Try to add a new "Qt Version" in Tools->Options...->Build & Run->Qt versions
and choose /usr/bin/qmake-qt5 as qmake executable, you'd probably want that
for building Qt5 applications anyway.
(btw, you need libqt5-doc installed as well for the Qt5 docs and examples to
show up)
If you don't need it, you could also remove the likely existing Qt4 config
there.

We should probably patch Qt Creator to use qmake-qt5 by default.

Or make /usr/bin/qmake point to qmake-qt5, but that would likely break
building some still existing Qt4 packages...
Maybe managing /usr/bin/qmake via update-alternatives could be a "solution"
though.

I think that wouldn't help though if there's already a Qt Creator config, i.e.
if you already used (or at least started) it.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Am Montag, 22. Januar 2018, 19:36:36 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> (btw, you need libqt5-doc installed as well for the Qt5 docs and examples to
> show up)

Sorry, typo...
The package is actually called libqt5-qtdoc.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi Wolfgang,

[...]
>PS, found this:
>https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Examples_in_Qt_Creator#Sources

>So Qt Creator is running "qmake --query" to find the locations.
>But /usr/bin/qmake points to the Qt4 version in openSUSE...

>Try to add a new "Qt Version" in Tools->Options...->Build & Run->Qt versions
>and choose /usr/bin/qmake-qt5 as qmake executable, you'd probably want that
>for building Qt5 applications anyway.

uhm, in Qt Creator I already see "Qt 5.10.0 in PATH (System)".
So no Qt4, but a Qt5 version.

>(btw, you need libqt5-doc installed as well for the Qt5 docs and examples to
>show up)

As I wrote in my first posting, there is no qt5-doc package for
Tumbleweed.

>If you don't need it, you could also remove the likely existing Qt4 config
>there.

There is no visible Qt4 config.

>We should probably patch Qt Creator to use qmake-qt5 by default.

It seems you already did - everything seems to work except for the examples.

[...]

>Kind Regards,
>Wolfgang

Thx and bye.
Michael.

Am Montag, 22. Januar 2018, 20:10:00 schrieb Michael Hirmke:
> uhm, in Qt Creator I already see "Qt 5.10.0 in PATH (System)".
> So no Qt4, but a Qt5 version.

Ok, seems it did pick up Qt5 in your case, here it only found Qt4 (even after
deleting the config).
Probably that's because you don't have libqt4-devel installed, while I do.

> >(btw, you need libqt5-doc installed as well for the Qt5 docs and examples
> >to show up)
>
> As I wrote in my first posting, there is no qt5-doc package for
> Tumbleweed.

There is, libqt5-qtdoc (with two subpackages libqt5-qtdoc-qch and libqt5-
qtdoc-html), and you need to have it installed.

Actually, it might be sufficient to only install libqt5-qtdoc-html (which
contains the examples-manifest.xml files mentioned in the link I posted), but
I'm not sure.
Better install libqt5-qtdoc which pulls in both.

> It seems you already did - everything seems to work except for the examples.

No.

But as mentioned, maybe it might work if only Qt5's qmake is installed.
Then there's not really a need for a change IMHO.

The Qt5 examples do show up here if I create an additional "Qt Version" using
qmake-qt5, there's a chooser at the top of the "Examples" page to select which
one you want to see.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi Wolfgang,

[...]
>Ok, seems it did pick up Qt5 in your case, here it only found Qt4 (even after
>deleting the config).
>Probably that's because you don't have libqt4-devel installed, while I do.

That's correct, libqt4-devel package is not installed on this machine.

[...]
>> As I wrote in my first posting, there is no qt5-doc package for
>> Tumbleweed.

>There is, libqt5-qtdoc (with two subpackages libqt5-qtdoc-qch and libqt5-
>qtdoc-html), and you need to have it installed.

Oops. I always looked for qt5-doc, because it was qt4-doc before, and
completely overlooked libqt5-qtdoc.
Ok, just installed it.

>Actually, it might be sufficient to only install libqt5-qtdoc-html (which
>contains the examples-manifest.xml files mentioned in the link I posted), but
>I'm not sure.
>Better install libqt5-qtdoc which pulls in both.

Did it.
And magic, magic - Qt5 Creator now shows up all of the installed
examples.
Great help, thx a lot!

>> It seems you already did - everything seems to work except for the
>> examples.

>No.

>But as mentioned, maybe it might work if only Qt5's qmake is installed.
>Then there's not really a need for a change IMHO.

>The Qt5 examples do show up here if I create an additional "Qt Version" using
>qmake-qt5, there's a chooser at the top of the "Examples" page to select
>which one you want to see.

I didn't need to do anything besides installing libqt5-qt5doc!

>Kind Regards,
>Wolfgang

Thx again.
Bye.
Michael.

Am Montag, 22. Januar 2018, 22:32:00 schrieb Michael Hirmke:
> Oops. I always looked for qt5-doc, because it was qt4-doc before, and
> completely overlooked libqt5-qtdoc.

Actually it was libqt4-devel-doc (and libqt4-devel-doc-data as you write in
your first mail) before... ;-)

> Did it.
> And magic, magic - Qt5 Creator now shows up all of the installed
> examples.

Good.

Maybe it would make sense to move the examples-manifest.xml files to the
libqt5-qtdoc-qch subpackage then, which is recommended by libqt5-creator
because it contains the docs (.qch files) that Qt Creator uses/displays.

I don't think they have any relations to the HTML docs anyway...

> >The Qt5 examples do show up here if I create an additional "Qt Version"
> >using qmake-qt5, there's a chooser at the top of the "Examples" page to
> >select which one you want to see.
>
> I didn't need to do anything besides installing libqt5-qt5doc!

No, you have no /usr/bin/qmake, so Qt Creator apparently falls back to
/usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake (using the Qt5 installation path).

I do have libqt4-devel installed though as mentioned, so Qt Creator picks up
(the Qt4 based) /usr/bin/cmake and creates (only) a Qt4 based config
automatically.

As indicated, I don't really think it's worth the effort to change anything
because of that, as it is only relevant if libqt4-devel is installed as well
(which of course it isn't by default), and it's easy to add another Qt version
anyway.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Am Dienstag, 23. Januar 2018, 10:04:01 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> Maybe it would make sense to move the examples-manifest.xml files to the
> libqt5-qtdoc-qch subpackage then, which is recommended by libqt5-creator
> because it contains the docs (.qch files) that Qt Creator uses/displays.

On closer look, that's not a good idea either.
Those examples-manifest.xml files do refer to other files from libqt5-qtdoc-
html (the examples html files and images)...

So there's no way around it, you need to install libqt5-qtdoc-html (or libqt5-
qtdoc that requires it) for the examples to show up.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: qt5-devel-doc or other package fuer qt5 examples?

Michael Hirmke
Hi Wolfgang,

[...]
>So there's no way around it, you need to install libqt5-qtdoc-html (or
>libqt5- qtdoc that requires it) for the examples to show up.

no problem on my side - if I had known the name of the package, I would
have installed it without even asking here ;)

>Kind Regards,
>Wolfgang

Bye.
Michael.