pulseaudio wakeups

Adam Tauno Williams
In the process of investigating why my laptop recent seems to be
running hotter/harder recently I looked at Wakeups under "Power
Statistics"->Process.

pulseaudio remains steady at 400-500 (per second?).  Details are
"Wakeup clock (hrtimer_wakeup)".

Is this normal?  Even when no audio is playing?

"Interprocessor interrupt" is the only higher value at 500-600.
 Otherwise the values fall of very quickly.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>

Re: pulseaudio wakeups

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
Am Dienstag, 8. August 2017, 06:58:46 CEST schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> In the process of investigating why my laptop recent seems to be
> running hotter/harder recently I looked at Wakeups under "Power
> Statistics"->Process.

You could try powertop to get more information. There is a "Device stats" tab
where you can see whether the hardware uses too much power too. If so, you
could try to apply the items in "Tunables" that apply to "Audio".

> pulseaudio remains steady at 400-500 (per second?).  Details are
> "Wakeup clock (hrtimer_wakeup)".

On battery? Does this happen right after a reboot? Or only after watching some
flash videos or such things? IIRC pulseaudio adapts latency to its clients. If
there is a client connected that wants minimal latency, wakeups will rise.

> Is this normal?  Even when no audio is playing?

Not for me.

> "Interprocessor interrupt" is the only higher value at 500-600.
>  Otherwise the values fall of very quickly.

Not normal, too. Maybe caused by the hrtimer_wakups.

Gruß
 Jan
--
Hindsight is an exact science.