problem with konqueror image preview

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

problem with konqueror image preview

PerfectReign
Some time ago, I forget when, I noticed I had a problem previewing images in
Konqueror. For some reason, I can no longer preview images in .jpg format.
GIF images are just fine for previews.

Someone mentioned a bug in the JPEG compressor, so I figured I'd just wait for
a fix.

Well, today, while logged in as Konqueror under Super User mode, I was copying
some files over from a Win2K system and changing permissions.  I noticed that
I can - in fact - see .jpeg files in Konqeror. However, it only works in
Super User mode.  What gives?

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2007/suse101_konq_preview.jpg

You can see here a split screen of the same directory. The top is Konq in
super user mode showing the previews and the bottom is the same directory in
peon mode showing no previews.

What did I break?

--
kai - [hidden email]
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com
www.filesite.org || www.donutmonster.com

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

Basil Chupin
Kai Ponte wrote:

> Some time ago, I forget when, I noticed I had a problem previewing images in
> Konqueror. For some reason, I can no longer preview images in .jpg format.
> GIF images are just fine for previews.
>
> Someone mentioned a bug in the JPEG compressor, so I figured I'd just wait for
> a fix.
>
> Well, today, while logged in as Konqueror under Super User mode, I was copying
> some files over from a Win2K system and changing permissions.  I noticed that
> I can - in fact - see .jpeg files in Konqeror. However, it only works in
> Super User mode.  What gives?
>
> http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2007/suse101_konq_preview.jpg
>
> You can see here a split screen of the same directory. The top is Konq in
> super user mode showing the previews and the bottom is the same directory in
> peon mode showing no previews.
>
> What did I break?

Right-click on a jpeg image->Properties. What are the permissions set to
and the Auto Preview?

Cheers.



--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

PerfectReign
On Thursday 04 January 2007 22:50, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Kai Ponte wrote:
> > http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2007/suse101_konq_preview.jpg
> >
> > You can see here a split screen of the same directory. The top is Konq in
> > super user mode showing the previews and the bottom is the same directory
> > in peon mode showing no previews.
> >
> > What did I break?
>
> Right-click on a jpeg image->Properties. What are the permissions set to
> and the Auto Preview?

Permissions - which are greyed out - are set to  Owner Can Read and Write,
Group Can Read, Others Can Read. The Is Executable bit is checked.

Ownership is set to user kai, group "users".

The Preview tab shows nothing, but - greyed out - the Automatic Preview button
is checked.


I decided to compare against a .png file which does show a preview. On it,
there is a Meta Info tab and the Preview tab shows a smallish preview with
the Automatic Preview checkbox enabled and checked.



On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that the Meta
Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab functions as
normal.

> In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
> that tragedy is just around the corner.

What is that? Something from NetHack?  :)

--
kai - [hidden email]
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com
www.filesite.org || www.donutmonster.com

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

Basil Chupin
Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Thursday 04 January 2007 22:50, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Kai Ponte wrote:
>>> http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2007/suse101_konq_preview.jpg
>>>
>>> You can see here a split screen of the same directory. The top is Konq in
>>> super user mode showing the previews and the bottom is the same directory
>>> in peon mode showing no previews.
>>>
>>> What did I break?
>> Right-click on a jpeg image->Properties. What are the permissions set to
>> and the Auto Preview?
>
> Permissions - which are greyed out - are set to  Owner Can Read and Write,
> Group Can Read, Others Can Read. The Is Executable bit is checked.
>
> Ownership is set to user kai, group "users".
>
> The Preview tab shows nothing, but - greyed out - the Automatic Preview button
> is checked.
>
>
> I decided to compare against a .png file which does show a preview. On it,
> there is a Meta Info tab and the Preview tab shows a smallish preview with
> the Automatic Preview checkbox enabled and checked.
>
>
>
> On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that the Meta
> Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab functions as
> normal.

Hmmm, interesting "problem" :-) . Who actually owns the directory(ies)
where the jpgs reside?



>> In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
>> that tragedy is just around the corner.
>
> What is that? Something from NetHack?  :)


Don't know what NetHack is but it's not from there - it's a tagline from
the late 80s-early90s I used on the BBS :-) .

Cheers.



--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

PerfectReign
On Friday 05 January 2007 19:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Kai Ponte wrote:
> > On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that the
> > Meta Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab
> > functions as normal.
>
> Hmmm, interesting "problem" :-) . Who actually owns the directory(ies)
> where the jpgs reside?

AFAIK, I do. The user is set to kai and group users on the directory and ones
above.

I find it very odd super user can see previews and I cannot.

Maybe I'll just run as root.

Doesn't that sound like a good idea?


>
> >> In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
> >> that tragedy is just around the corner.
> >
> > What is that? Something from NetHack?  :)
>
> Don't know what NetHack is

One of the first Adventure-style games from the latter '80s.  I played it at
university.

http://www.nethack.org/ 

> but it's not from there - it's a tagline from
> the late 80s-early90s I used on the BBS :-) .

...I forsee half the peeps here going out and looking up what a BBS is.  :P

--
kai - [hidden email]
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com
www.filesite.org || www.donutmonster.com

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

Basil Chupin
Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Kai Ponte wrote:
>>> On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that the
>>> Meta Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab
>>> functions as normal.
>> Hmmm, interesting "problem" :-) . Who actually owns the directory(ies)
>> where the jpgs reside?
>
> AFAIK, I do. The user is set to kai and group users on the directory and ones
> above.
>
> I find it very odd super user can see previews and I cannot.
>
> Maybe I'll just run as root.
>
> Doesn't that sound like a good idea?

If it saves lots of hassles then why not?

Back to serious things....

Is this inability to preview jpegs restricted to the one directory or is
universal across all HDs/directories?

What I am finding odd is that the Permissions and Preview are greyed out .

What you could do is (1) put some jpegs into some other directory and
see what occurs there, and (2) create a new (ordinary) user and see if
the same happens to that user.



>>>> In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
>>>> that tragedy is just around the corner.
>>> What is that? Something from NetHack?  :)
>> Don't know what NetHack is
>
> One of the first Adventure-style games from the latter '80s.  I played it at
> university.
>
> http://www.nethack.org/ 

Ah, OK.


>> but it's not from there - it's a tagline from
>> the late 80s-early90s I used on the BBS :-) .
>
> ...I forsee half the peeps here going out and looking up what a BBS is.  :P


Yes, I thought of typing 'BBS' in full but thought, "What the heck, let
them find out the hard way" :-) .

(How things have changed in such a short time! :-) .)

Cheers.


--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

Aveek Bhattacharya-2
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Is this inability to preview jpegs restricted to the one directory or is
> universal across all HDs/directories?
>
> What I am finding odd is that the Permissions and Preview are greyed out .
>
> What you could do is (1) put some jpegs into some other directory and
> see what occurs there, and (2) create a new (ordinary) user and see if
> the same happens to that user.
>
>
Hi,

Kai, this may sound a little silly, but are previews enabled? Also, are
the files larger than the maximum size for previews?
(Control Centre-> KDE Components-> File Manager-> Previews and Meta-Data)


--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya
IIT Bombay

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

Basil Chupin
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Kai Ponte wrote:
>> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> Kai Ponte wrote:
>>>> On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that
>>>> the
>>>> Meta Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab
>>>> functions as normal.
>>> Hmmm, interesting "problem" :-) . Who actually owns the directory(ies)
>>> where the jpgs reside?
>>
>> AFAIK, I do. The user is set to kai and group users on the directory
>> and ones above.
>>
>> I find it very odd super user can see previews and I cannot.

[pruned]

I am just fooling around with konqueror looking at what jpg files may
have been "grabbed" by Firefox during my visits to various sites and
happened to notice, without looking for it, an icon in the Toolbar (top)
called Enable Preview which, when disabled, gives the type of screen you
have in that screenshot you provided. Interesting. Is this Enable
Preview activated in the user's copy of konqueror?

Cheers.


--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

PerfectReign
In reply to this post by Aveek Bhattacharya-2
On Saturday 06 January 2007 00:56, Aveek Bhattacharya wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > Is this inability to preview jpegs restricted to the one directory or is
> > universal across all HDs/directories?
> >
> > What I am finding odd is that the Permissions and Preview are greyed out
> > .
> >
> > What you could do is (1) put some jpegs into some other directory and
> > see what occurs there, and (2) create a new (ordinary) user and see if
> > the same happens to that user.
>
> Hi,
>
> Kai, this may sound a little silly, but are previews enabled? Also, are
> the files larger than the maximum size for previews?
> (Control Centre-> KDE Components-> File Manager-> Previews and Meta-Data)

I went there and enabled All file types for previews.

Interesting. The max size is 4MB, these are mostly 700K files.


Thanks!

--
kai - [hidden email]
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com
www.filesite.org || www.donutmonster.com

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with konqueror image preview

PerfectReign
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
On Saturday 06 January 2007 05:42, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > Kai Ponte wrote:
> >> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
> >>> Kai Ponte wrote:
> >>>> On a new comparison, I did the same in Super User mode, and see that
> >>>> the
> >>>> Meta Info tab is enabled for JPEG files and the Auto Preview tab
> >>>> functions as normal.
> >>>
> >>> Hmmm, interesting "problem" :-) . Who actually owns the directory(ies)
> >>> where the jpgs reside?
> >>
> >> AFAIK, I do. The user is set to kai and group users on the directory
> >> and ones above.
> >>
> >> I find it very odd super user can see previews and I cannot.
>
> [pruned]
>
> I am just fooling around with konqueror looking at what jpg files may
> have been "grabbed" by Firefox during my visits to various sites and
> happened to notice, without looking for it, an icon in the Toolbar (top)
> called Enable Preview which, when disabled, gives the type of screen you
> have in that screenshot you provided. Interesting. Is this Enable
> Preview activated in the user's copy of konqueror?

Yes, the same setting exists in Konqueror. View > Preview > Disable (Enable)
Previews.

Hmm... I wonder if it doesn't know .jpg is an image file....


--
kai - [hidden email]
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com
www.filesite.org || www.donutmonster.com

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]