prime-select: unable to query GPU information

prime-select: unable to query GPU information

Daniel Bauer
Hi,

I just upgraded my asus laptop with intel/nvidia graphics from 42.1 to
42.3, all went well so far.

But when entering

prime-select nvidia

I get: ERROR unable to query GPU information

The script runs anyway, I guess, because when I reboot at some point the
screen with the boot messages begins to flicker heavily (I could not
read the last message...). I had to restart and boot to runlevel 3, then
entered "prime-sectect intel" and now I can boot normally - but of
course only using the intel card.

I don't know which information you need to help me: please ask and I'll
try to provide it.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer
http://www.daniel-bauer.com

Re: prime-select: unable to query GPU information

Andrei Borzenkov
12.01.2018 21:58, Daniel Bauer пишет:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my asus laptop with intel/nvidia graphics from 42.1 to
> 42.3, all went well so far.
>
> But when entering
>
> prime-select nvidia
>
> I get: ERROR unable to query GPU information

The message comes from nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info. As far as I can
tell, it actually expects nvidia kernel module to be loaded (it tries to
load it itself). So you may try to debug this utility until it works.

Looking at prime-select, it is using nvidia-xonfig only to determine PCI
ID of nVidia card, so you ma actual hardcode them for debugging to see
if it works otherwise.

> The script runs anyway, I guess, because when I reboot at some point the
> screen with the boot messages begins to flicker heavily (I could not
> read the last message...). I had to restart and boot to runlevel 3, then
> entered "prime-sectect intel" and now I can boot normally - but of
> course only using the intel card.

prime-select is supposed to generate xorg.conf and enable nVidia
specific GL libraries. You can check resulting configuration file and
manually adjust it until it works.

Am 13.01.2018 um 06:58 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:

> 12.01.2018 21:58, Daniel Bauer пишет:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just upgraded my asus laptop with intel/nvidia graphics from 42.1 to
>> 42.3, all went well so far.
>>
>> But when entering
>>
>> prime-select nvidia
>>
>> I get: ERROR unable to query GPU information
>>

> The message comes from nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info. As far as I can
> tell, it actually expects nvidia kernel module to be loaded (it tries to
> load it itself). So you may try to debug this utility until it works.
>
> Looking at prime-select, it is using nvidia-xonfig only to determine PCI
> ID of nVidia card, so you ma actual hardcode them for debugging to see
> if it works otherwise.
>
>> The script runs anyway, I guess, because when I reboot at some point the
>> screen with the boot messages begins to flicker heavily (I could not
>> read the last message...). I had to restart and boot to runlevel 3, then
>> entered "prime-sectect intel" and now I can boot normally - but of
>> course only using the intel card.
>>

> prime-select is supposed to generate xorg.conf and enable nVidia
> specific GL libraries. You can check resulting configuration file and
> manually adjust it until it works.
>
>> I don't know which information you need to help me: please ask and I'll
>> try to provide it.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Daniel

Thank you for the explanations. I will see if my minimal knowledge leads
to some results this weekend using your information...