postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

i recognized at the moment, that
my postfix seems not to run since 11 11 2017
could this be ipv6 related?

"...... interface found for ::1 "

maybe i have there switched off ipv6 via yast?
i do not remember, actually i think i have switched off long before this date.

(at this system there is no ipv6 (i do not need, i do not understand, i do not use)

log:

Nov 11 12:46:48 becherer1 postfix/postfix-script[2201]: starting the Postfix mail system
Nov 11 12:46:48 becherer1 postfix/master[2203]: daemon started -- version 3.2.4, configuration /etc/postfix
Nov 11 12:46:55 becherer1 postfix/postfix-script[6290]: stopping the Postfix mail system
Nov 11 12:46:55 becherer1 postfix/master[2221]: terminating on signal 15

Nov 11 14:24:37 becherer1 postfix[1995]: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for ::1
Nov 11 14:24:38 becherer1 systemd[1]: postfix.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 11 14:24:39 becherer1 systemd[1]: postfix.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 11 14:24:39 becherer1 systemd[1]: postfix.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

and the log from yast

2017-11-11 14:24:30 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] network/susefirewall2.rb:1615 Some RPC service found: false
2017-11-11 14:24:30 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] network/susefirewall2.rb:1655 Configuration hasn't modified, skipping restarting services
2017-11-11 14:24:30 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] modules/Lan.rb:1111 Attempting to reload network service, normal stage true, ssh: false
2017-11-11 14:24:41 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] network/runtime.rb:41 Updating sendmail and/or postfix configuration.
2017-11-11 14:24:41 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] clients/lan.rb:197 Lan module finished
2017-11-11 14:24:41 <1> becherer1(29489) [Ruby] clients/lan.rb:198 ----------------------------------------

how to get it running again (without ipv6)

thanks.

simoN

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Per Jessen
Simon Becherer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i recognized at the moment, that
> my postfix seems not to run since 11 11 2017
> could this be ipv6 related?
>
> "...... interface found for ::1 "
>
> maybe i have there switched off ipv6 via yast?
> i do not remember, actually i think i have switched off long before
> this date.
>
> (at this system there is no ipv6 (i do not need, i do not understand,
> i do not use)
[snip]

> how to get it running again (without ipv6)

Edit /etc/hosts and remove the entry that maps '::1' as 'localhost'.
Or just enable ipv6 - doesn't matter if you don't use it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.3°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Simon Becherer wrote:
> Thank you,
>
>> Edit /etc/hosts and remove the entry that maps '::1' as 'localhost'.
> i removed all ipv6 related entries.
>
> service now running :-))
>
>> Or just enable ipv6 - doesn't matter if you don't use it.
 >
> mh, if i do not use, why it should run? (and send packets in background...)

Because, as you have seen, disabling ipv6 only causes problems.  Besides, ipv6
does not 'run', it's only a protocol.  It doesn't send anything in the
background either.

Brgds
Per

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-19 09:58, Simon Becherer wrote:

> Hi per,
>
>> Because, as you have seen, disabling ipv6 only causes problems.  Besides, ipv6 does not 'run', it's only a protocol.  It doesn't send anything in the background either.
>
> mh, your arguments are ok,
> - it makes problems.
> - but if its running a lot of stuff is sendet across my lan with ipv6 adesses, i dont know who (kernel/program), i do not knwo why.
>
> main reason to disable is i do not understand the ipv6 behavior, i actually only know its NOT only more address-space
> than ipv4 its much more, and i have no time to read all the stuff for ipv6
> and so i do not know how to gave them static addresses, check / set firewall (iptables) for it etc....
> so i decide better not use (at least at long it is possible).
But it does not matter if it works :-)

If you are using SuSEfirewall2, you don't have to care.

No need to assign static IPv6 addresses (yet).

Only if it tries to connect to some computer and it doesn't work and
causes problems, is remove IPv6 support a consideration. But the first
thing is finding why it does not work and solving that part instead.

Anyway, if your ISP and router don't have an IPv6 address, that traffic
doesn't go outside, so no worries.

I have IPv6 enabled on the computer and I have no issues with it.
In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:

precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

which makes the system to prefer IPv4, I understand.

Simon Becherer wrote:

> Hi per,
>
>> Because, as you have seen, disabling ipv6 only causes problems.
>> Besides, ipv6 does not 'run', it's only a protocol.  It doesn't send
>> anything in the background either.
>
> mh, your arguments are ok,
> - - it makes problems.
> - - but if its running a lot of stuff is sendet across my lan with
> ipv6 adesses, i dont know who (kernel/program), i do not knwo why.

Hi Simon

Unless you have something (a router for instance) on your network that
provides the right ipv6 infrastructure, you'll see very little ipv6
traffic.

> main reason to disable is i do not understand the ipv6 behavior, i
> actually only know its NOT only more address-space than ipv4 its
> much more,

It works/behaves much like ipv4 - the differences are minor. (depending
on your point of view).

> and i have no time to read all the stuff for ipv6 and so i do
> not know how to gave them static addresses, check / set firewall
> (iptables) for it etc.... so i decide better not use (at least at long
> it is possible).

Did you really know everything you needed to know about ipv4 the first
time you used that too?  :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-19 09:58, Simon Becherer wrote:
>> Hi per,
>>
>>> Because, as you have seen, disabling ipv6 only causes problems.
>>> Besides, ipv6 does not 'run', it's only a protocol.  It doesn't send
>>> anything in the background either.
>>
>> mh, your arguments are ok,
>> - it makes problems.
>> - but if its running a lot of stuff is sendet across my lan with ipv6
>> adesses, i dont know who (kernel/program), i do not knwo why.
>>
>> main reason to disable is i do not understand the ipv6 behavior, i
>> actually only know its NOT only more address-space than ipv4 its much
>> more, and i have no time to read all the stuff for ipv6 and so i do
>> not know how to gave them static addresses, check / set firewall
>> (iptables) for it etc.... so i decide better not use (at least at
>> long it is possible).
>
> But it does not matter if it works :-)
>
> If you are using SuSEfirewall2, you don't have to care.
>
> No need to assign static IPv6 addresses (yet).
>
> Only if it tries to connect to some computer and it doesn't work and
> causes problems, is remove IPv6 support a consideration. But the first
> thing is finding why it does not work and solving that part instead.
>
> Anyway, if your ISP and router don't have an IPv6 address, that
> traffic doesn't go outside, so no worries.
>

> I have IPv6 enabled on the computer and I have no issues with it.
> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>
> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>
> which makes the system to prefer IPv4, I understand.

Yes, that is what the comments say.  When you don't have ipv6, it is
unnecessary to change it though.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.2°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

On 2018-01-19 13:06, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> I have IPv6 enabled on the computer and I have no issues with it.
>> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>>
>> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>>
>> which makes the system to prefer IPv4, I understand.
>
> Yes, that is what the comments say.  When you don't have ipv6, it is
> unnecessary to change it though.

I found sometimes that zypper would try to use IPv6 and error out. Since
I did that edit, no more problems :-)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-19 13:06, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I have IPv6 enabled on the computer and I have no issues with it.
>>> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>>>
>>> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>>>
>>> which makes the system to prefer IPv4, I understand.
>>
>> Yes, that is what the comments say.  When you don't have ipv6, it is
>> unnecessary to change it though.
>
> I found sometimes that zypper would try to use IPv6 and error out.
> Since I did that edit, no more problems :-)

ISTR that being due to a faulty/partially working ipv6 setup on your
side.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.7°C)

On 2018-01-19 13:16, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Yes, that is what the comments say.  When you don't have ipv6, it is
>>> unnecessary to change it though.
>>
>> I found sometimes that zypper would try to use IPv6 and error out.
>> Since I did that edit, no more problems :-)
>
> ISTR that being due to a faulty/partially working ipv6 setup on your
> side.
Obviously! My router doesn't have IPv6 to Internet.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-19 13:16, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I found sometimes that zypper would try to use IPv6 and error out.
>>> Since I did that edit, no more problems :-)
>>
>> ISTR that being due to a faulty/partially working ipv6 setup on your
>> side.
>
> Obviously! My router doesn't have IPv6 to Internet.

No, that is not obvious, Carlos - if you don't have _any_ ipv6 setup,
your setup is not faulty nor partial.  In that case, no need to
edit /etc/gai.conf.  Otherwise we would be shipping a very poor
default.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.8°C)

On 2018-01-19 13:28, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> ISTR that being due to a faulty/partially working ipv6 setup on your
>>> side.
>>
>> Obviously! My router doesn't have IPv6 to Internet.
>
> No, that is not obvious, Carlos - if you don't have _any_ ipv6 setup,
> your setup is not faulty nor partial.  In that case, no need to
> edit /etc/gai.conf.  Otherwise we would be shipping a very poor
> default.
But it should be obvious to you, I have commented with you that my
router doesn't have IPv6 connectivity :-)

The computer itself is correctly configured, it can ssh to other local
computer on IPv6. I tried years ago.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-19 13:28, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Obviously! My router doesn't have IPv6 to Internet.
>>
>> No, that is not obvious, Carlos - if you don't have _any_ ipv6 setup,
>> your setup is not faulty nor partial.  In that case, no need to
>> edit /etc/gai.conf.  Otherwise we would be shipping a very poor
>> default.
>
> But it should be obvious to you, I have commented with you that my
> router doesn't have IPv6 connectivity :-)

In which case there is no need to amend /etc/gai.conf.  That's all I'm
saying.  As I said, ISTR going through this a couple years back and
discovering you had a partial or faulty IPv6 setup.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.1°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

James Knott
On 01/19/2018 03:58 AM, Simon Becherer wrote:
> main reason to disable is i do not understand the ipv6 behavior, i actually only know its NOT only more address-space
> than ipv4 its much more, and i have no time to read all the stuff for ipv6
> and so i do not know how to gave them static addresses, check / set firewall (iptables) for it etc....
> so i decide better not use (at least at long it is possible).

Actually, IPv6 workes the same as IPv4.  Beyond the much larger address
space, there is little difference.  These tend to be things designed to
improve performance or management.  For example things like fixed header
size and no checksum at the IP level are designed to improve router
performance.  Others, such as router adverisements and neighbour
soliciation bring management together under ICMP etc.  There are also no
broadcasts.  However, as far as using it goes, TCP and UDP work on it as
with IPv4 and it's transparent to applications.  I strongly suggest you
learn about IPv6, as that's where the world is moving.

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

Hi carlos,

> If you are using SuSEfirewall2, you don't have to care.
mh i read "somewhere" that susefirewall will in future releases not
be installed as default? may i am wrong? and if this
is correct it's only a matter of time it will be dropped...

AND, i have also some "raspian" (debian based for raspberry pi)
running in the same net so susefirewall will not be the only
firewall i have.

> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>
> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

ok, this would be a option, but what is with (as example)
ssh connections, i normally have inside
hosts.deny and host.allow
things related to ipv4,
did this also work with ipv6?
and where did i get static addresses to set such things?
you see i do not know much....

examples:
deny:
sshd : ALL : deny

allow:
sshd : 192.168.0.81 : allow

...snip fro per jessen...
> Did you really know everything you needed to know about ipv4 the first time you used that too?

you are right, answer is NO
but there somehow in 1989 there was no need to look for holes......
only lan, without connection to the world.....

simoN

Simon Becherer wrote:

>> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>>
>> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>
> ok, this would be a option, but what is with (as example)
> ssh connections, i normally have inside
> hosts.deny and host.allow
> things related to ipv4,
> did this also work with ipv6?

Have you checked if that actually works / makes a difference?  I could
be wrong, but I thought tcp wrappers were deprecated quite some time
ago.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.2°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

El 2018-01-19 a las 14:54 +0100, Simon Becherer escribió:

> Hi carlos,
>
>> If you are using SuSEfirewall2, you don't have to care.
> mh i read "somewhere" that susefirewall will in future releases not
> be installed as default? may i am wrong? and if this
> is correct it's only a matter of time it will be dropped...
>
> AND, i have also some "raspian" (debian based for raspberry pi)
> running in the same net so susefirewall will not be the only
> firewall i have.
Yes, but this doesn't affect your openSUSE machine.

>> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>>
>> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>
> ok, this would be a option, but what is with (as example)
> ssh connections, i normally have inside
> hosts.deny and host.allow
> things related to ipv4,
> did this also work with ipv6?

But we are assuming that your ISP doesn't give you IPv6 access, so you do
not have to do anything. There will not be any incoming IPv6 connection
incoming to your openSUSE machine.

> and where did i get static addresses to set such things?
> you see i do not know much....

As your router doesn't have external IPv6 access, you get no IPv6 address
to set.

You don't have to do anything :-)

And if your router has external IPv6 address, then everything changes,
because you may get incomings. Then you do have to configure IPv6 in your
machines.

- --
Cheers
        Carlos E. R.

        (from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))

Re: postfix refused to run ipv6? opensuse tumbleweed

Simon Becherer

Hi per,

>> hosts.deny and host.allow

working on opensuse 11.4 (running in a kvm)
working on raspbian (raspberry pi)

and you are correct, NOT working on opensuse tumbleweed.

mh, not known up to now.

and, because i have installed last tumbleweed system fresh
in summer 2017, do you know since when this is function
is deprecated?
the files hosts.allow and hosts.deny still exist with text
who says this will work.
(package "netcfg" writes the files)
and i see a package "tcpd" who could be installed.
will this bring function back?
or something else?

may i should asked at opensuse factory list?:

i personally think if this function is switched off, then the
files should not be installed automatically.
(you see i am falling in this trap)

simoN

Am 19.01.2018 um 15:37 schrieb Per Jessen:

> Simon Becherer wrote:
>
>>> In "/etc/gai.conf" I changed:
>>>
>>> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100
>>
>> ok, this would be a option, but what is with (as example) ssh connections, i normally have inside hosts.deny and host.allow things related to ipv4, did this also work with ipv6?
>
> Have you checked if that actually works / makes a difference?  I could be wrong, but I thought tcp wrappers were deprecated quite some time ago.

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax:  (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: [hidden email]
Web:  www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE   Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB

Simon Becherer wrote:

> Hi per,
>
>>> hosts.deny and host.allow
>
> working on opensuse 11.4 (running in a kvm)
> working on raspbian (raspberry pi)
>
> and you are correct, NOT working on opensuse tumbleweed.
>
> mh, not known up to now.
>
> and, because i have installed last tumbleweed system fresh
> in summer 2017, do you know since when this is function
> is deprecated?

I'm not sure since when - using tcp wrappers is quite old fashioned, it
is easier & better to run a firewall.

> the files hosts.allow and hosts.deny still exist with text
> who says this will work. (package "netcfg" writes the files)
> and i see a package "tcpd" who could be installed.
> will this bring function back?
> or something else?

To my knowledge, the applications need to be built with support for tcp
wrappers (libwrap).  xinetd has libwrap support, if you invoke
everything via xinetd, your /etc/hosts.{deny,allow} will still work.

> may i should asked at opensuse factory list?:

I'm not sure if opensuse-factory is the right place for end-user
support, but maybe.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.2°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.