ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Per Jessen-2
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551

Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.5°C)

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Basil Chupin-2
On 03/03/12 20:52, Per Jessen wrote:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
>
> Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?

Aawww, it was first reported only 3 1/2 months ago. Some things just
cannot be rushed you know......

Besides, I don't have this problem......

:-)

BTW, I am running a 32-bit system (12.1) [as well as kernel 3.2.9] and I
did have the same problem at one stage after I installed 12.1 but some
update to something fixed that.

Out of curiosity, which KDE version are you running? I *think* - but
cannot be sure - that this disappeared when I installed KDE 4.8.x but
don't quote me on this.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Per Jessen-2
Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 03/03/12 20:52, Per Jessen wrote:
>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
>>
>> Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?
>
> Aawww, it was first reported only 3 1/2 months ago. Some things just
> cannot be rushed you know......
>
> Besides, I don't have this problem......
>

So if you issue "halt", your system actually also powers off?  That is
interesting.

> BTW, I am running a 32-bit system (12.1) [as well as kernel 3.2.9] and
> I did have the same problem at one stage after I installed 12.1 but
> some update to something fixed that.
>
> Out of curiosity, which KDE version are you running? I *think* - but
> cannot be sure - that this disappeared when I installed KDE 4.8.x but
> don't quote me on this.

No KDE, I see it on minimal server installs.


--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.9°C)

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

jdd@dodin.org
Le 03/03/2012 11:37, Per Jessen a écrit :

> No KDE, I see it on minimal server installs.
>
>

this is odd. And no log hint?

that said I rarely halt a server (most mine are remote :-()

jdd

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Per Jessen-2
jdd wrote:

> Le 03/03/2012 11:37, Per Jessen a écrit :
>
>> No KDE, I see it on minimal server installs.
>>
>>
>
> this is odd. And no log hint?
>

No, nothing to be seen in the log, but switching to sysVinit (as
suggested by Lars in the bugreport) cured the problem.  


--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.1°C)

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Robert Rawlinson-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen-2
On 03/03/2012 04:52 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
>
> Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?
>
I am having the same problem. Open-suse 12.1 does not shut down. I have
to power-off to stop it.
Bob

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Lars Müller
On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 07:58:10AM -0500, Robert Rawlinson wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 04:52 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> >https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
> >
> >Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?
> >
> I am having the same problem. Open-suse 12.1 does not shut down. I
> have to power-off to stop it.

I guess this is a feature and not a bug of systemd.  Therefore I passed
the issue to Frederic who might enlight us.

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team
SUSE Linux, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

attachment0 (197 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Basil Chupin-2
In reply to this post by Per Jessen-2
On 03/03/12 21:37, Per Jessen wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/12 20:52, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
>>>
>>> Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?
>> Aawww, it was first reported only 3 1/2 months ago. Some things just
>> cannot be rushed you know......
>>
>> Besides, I don't have this problem......
>>
> So if you issue "halt", your system actually also powers off?  That is
> interesting.

Mea culpa.

The bug report was referring to a laptop, I don't have a laptop. I have
desktop computers. I have no problems with shutting down the normal way
and do not have the need to use "halt" on a command line to shutdown the
computer - in any case in the past I have always used "shutdown now"
when it was necessary to do so.


> BTW, I am running a 32-bit system (12.1) [as well as kernel 3.2.9] and
> I did have the same problem at one stage after I installed 12.1 but
> some update to something fixed that.
>
> Out of curiosity, which KDE version are you running? I *think* - but
> cannot be sure - that this disappeared when I installed KDE 4.8.x but
> don't quote me on this.
> No KDE, I see it on minimal server installs.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Per Jessen-2
Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 03/03/12 21:37, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> On 03/03/12 20:52, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731551
>>>>
>>>> Any chance of anyone taking more than a casual look at this?
>>> Aawww, it was first reported only 3 1/2 months ago. Some things just
>>> cannot be rushed you know......
>>>
>>> Besides, I don't have this problem......
>>>
>> So if you issue "halt", your system actually also powers off?  That
>> is interesting.
>
> Mea culpa.
>
> The bug report was referring to a laptop, I don't have a laptop. I
> have desktop computers.

I have observed the problem on regular desktops (IBM Thinkcentre, HP
DC7700), 1U servers (Supermicro) and HP Proliants.  Switching to
sysVinit fixes the problem though.



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.3°C)

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin-2
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:01:56 +1100
Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> do not have the need to use "halt" on a command line to shutdown the
> computer

The command halt is now just what the name suggests, it is safely
stopping operating system and then halting processor.
To shutdown it has to be use
  shutdown -h now
 
In other words with halt computer is not powered off.
With 'shutdown -h now' computer is powered off.

From home PC perspective I don't see use for halt, but there is
explanation how Solaris is using it, so on some hardware it can have
use:

https://blogs.oracle.com/bholler/entry/the_most_executed_code_in

--
Regards, Rajko
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ping - bug 731551 - openSUSE 12.1 system does not shutdown completely

Per Jessen-2
Rajko M. wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:01:56 +1100
> Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> do not have the need to use "halt" on a command line to shutdown the
>> computer
>
> The command halt is now just what the name suggests, it is safely
> stopping operating system and then halting processor.
> To shutdown it has to be use
>   shutdown -h now
>  
> In other words with halt computer is not powered off.

Except if you're running sysVinit :-)



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.1°C)

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]