pdftk exists in suse?

ken

pdftk exists in suse?

ken
Is there an app called pdftk for suse?

I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in its
capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same things.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-10-19 17:41, ken wrote:
> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>
> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in its
> capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same things.

Gone. :-(

<https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00295.html>

You can still install it in Leap.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Istvan Gabor-3
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:03:16 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-10-19 17:41, ken wrote:
>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>
>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>> its
>> capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>> things.
>
> Gone. :-(
>
> <https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00295.html>
>

> You can still install it in Leap.

Well, for me pdftk is a must have. Will be something else with the same
capabilities provided instead?

Thanks,

Istvan

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Per Jessen
ken wrote:

> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>
> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
> things.

I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.1°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

ken

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

ken
On 10/19/2017 12:03 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-10-19 17:41, ken wrote:
>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>
>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in its
>> capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same things.
> Gone. :-(
>
> <https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00295.html>
>

> You can still install it in Leap.

Thanks, Carlos, both for the relevant reply and for the good news. I
just hope it doesn't get orphaned in future.

ken

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

ken
On 10/19/2017 12:09 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:03:16 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2017-10-19 17:41, ken wrote:
>>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>>
>>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>>> its
>>> capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>>> things.
>>
>> Gone. :-(
>>
>> <https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00295.html>
>>

>> You can still install it in Leap.
>
> Well, for me pdftk is a must have. Will be something else with the same
> capabilities provided instead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Istvan

For me too.  It's no longer available in CentOS, except that someone--
like you and I -- really needed it, so static compiled in the necessary
gcj libraries, then put the result into an rpm package and put it out to
the world.  That's what I'm using now.

I looked around for a long time for another app with the same
capabilities, but found none even close.  I couldn't even find four apps
which together had all the capabilities found in pdftk. It really sucks
that gnu is killing gcj.  Who throws away good and essential code?

ken

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

ken
On 10/19/2017 12:51 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>
>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>> things.
> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).
I recall using gs back in the early '90s quite a bit for printing in
linux, but not much since then.

Imagine you  have an indeterminate number of separate pdf files from a
scanner whose filenames are ordered alphabetically.  You need to make
from these a single pdf file, but prior to collating them, rotate each
of them individually to differing degrees -- e.g. 1) 90, 2) 270, 3) 0,
4) 180, repeating this until all files are processed; and as each input
file is appropriate rotated, it is collated into a single pdf file.  In
pdftk all of that is done with one command, no gui.  As far as I know,
ghostscript can't do that.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  And,
well, pdftk can do a lot more.  It's really crappy of gnu to be killing
off such a useful utility.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

On 2017-10-19 18:51, Per Jessen wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>
>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>> things.
>
> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).

Can you remove passwords, change internal permissions wit ghostscript?

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

On 2017-10-20 03:01, ken wrote:

> On 10/19/2017 12:03 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2017-10-19 17:41, ken wrote:
>>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>>
>>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in its
>>> capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>>> things.
>> Gone. :-(
>>
>> <https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-10/msg00295.html>
>>

>> You can still install it in Leap.
>>
> Thanks, Carlos, both for the relevant reply and for the good news. I
> just hope it doesn't get orphaned in future.
At worst, you can keep a virtual machine with Leap and use it to run
such tasks.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Per Jessen
ken wrote:

> On 10/19/2017 12:51 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>> ken wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>>
>>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>>> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the
>>> same things.
>>
>> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).
>>
> I recall using gs back in the early '90s quite a bit for printing in
> linux, but not much since then.
>
> Imagine you  have an indeterminate number of separate pdf files from a
> scanner whose filenames are ordered alphabetically.  You need to make
> from these a single pdf file, but prior to collating them, rotate each
> of them individually to differing degrees -- e.g. 1) 90, 2) 270, 3) 0,
> 4) 180, repeating this until all files are processed; and as each
> input file is appropriate rotated, it is collated into a single pdf
> file.  In pdftk all of that is done with one command, no gui.

I don't know how to do the rotate with ghostscript, sounds more like a
job for imagemagick, but the concatenating of PDFs into one works fine
with ghostscript.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.2°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-10-19 18:51, Per Jessen wrote:
>> ken wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>>
>>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>>> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the
>>> same things.
>>
>> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).
>
> Can you remove passwords, change internal permissions wit ghostscript?

I don't know, I never had the need.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.2°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Dave Plater lst

On 20/10/2017 03:35, ken wrote:

> On 10/19/2017 12:51 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>> ken wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>>>
>>> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
>>> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
>>> things.
>> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).
> I recall using gs back in the early '90s quite a bit for printing in
> linux, but not much since then.
>
> Imagine you  have an indeterminate number of separate pdf files from a
> scanner whose filenames are ordered alphabetically.  You need to make
> from these a single pdf file, but prior to collating them, rotate each
> of them individually to differing degrees -- e.g. 1) 90, 2) 270, 3) 0,
> 4) 180, repeating this until all files are processed; and as each input
> file is appropriate rotated, it is collated into a single pdf file.  In
> pdftk all of that is done with one command, no gui.  As far as I know,
> ghostscript can't do that.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  And,
> well, pdftk can do a lot more.  It's really crappy of gnu to be killing
> off such a useful utility.

I found a binary called pdf90 also pdf180 and pdf270 they appear to be
part of the pdfjam the man page states "pdf90 - rotate the pages of pdf
files". They come from the package texlive-pdfjam-bin on my 42.3 system.
Try that.
Dave P

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Bengt Gördén
Den 2017-10-19 kl. 17:41, skrev ken:
> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
>
> I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
> its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
> things.

If I here what people do with pdftk it's split/extract, merge, rotate,
decrypt, encrypt. qpdf does all that. I usually collect/construct cheat
sheet for things hard to remember. This is what I got for qpdf. For more
look in the manual file:///usr/share/doc/packages/qpdf/qpdf-manual.html

split (outputs splitted-01.pdf, splitted-02.pdf etc.)
qpdf --split-pages in.pdf splitted.pdf

extract pages 1, 5, and 10 to another pdf
qpdf in.pdf --pages in.pdf 1,5,10 -- outfile.pdf

merge/concatenate
qpdf file1.pdf file2.pdf -- outfile.pdf

merge pages 1-5 from file1.pdf and 11-15 (reverse) from file2.pdf
qpdf file1.pdf --pages file1.pdf 1-5 file2.pdf 15-11 -- outfile.pdf

rotate pages 2,4,6 by 90 degrees and 7-8 by 180 degrees
qpdf in.pdf out.pdf --rotate=+90:2,4,6 --rotate=180:7-8

encrypt (there is user- and owner-password for --encrypt)
qpdf --encrypt 123 "" 256 -- unprotected.pdf protected.pdf

decrypt
qpdf --decrypt --password=123 protected.pdf unprotected.pdf

--
/bengan

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne pátek 20. října 2017 11:12:59 CEST, Bengt Gördén napsal(a):

> Den 2017-10-19 kl. 17:41, skrev ken:
> > Is there an app called pdftk for suse?
> >
> > I know there are many apps to handle PDFs, but this one is unique in
> > its capabilities... I haven't found another which can do all the same
> > things.
>
> If I here what people do with pdftk it's split/extract, merge, rotate,
> decrypt, encrypt. qpdf does all that. I usually collect/construct cheat
> sheet for things hard to remember. This is what I got for qpdf. For more
> look in the manual file:///usr/share/doc/packages/qpdf/qpdf-manual.html
>
> split (outputs splitted-01.pdf, splitted-02.pdf etc.)
> qpdf --split-pages in.pdf splitted.pdf
>
> extract pages 1, 5, and 10 to another pdf
> qpdf in.pdf --pages in.pdf 1,5,10 -- outfile.pdf
>
> merge/concatenate
> qpdf file1.pdf file2.pdf -- outfile.pdf
>
> merge pages 1-5 from file1.pdf and 11-15 (reverse) from file2.pdf
> qpdf file1.pdf --pages file1.pdf 1-5 file2.pdf 15-11 -- outfile.pdf
>
> rotate pages 2,4,6 by 90 degrees and 7-8 by 180 degrees
> qpdf in.pdf out.pdf --rotate=+90:2,4,6 --rotate=180:7-8
>
> encrypt (there is user- and owner-password for --encrypt)
> qpdf --encrypt 123 "" 256 -- unprotected.pdf protected.pdf
>
> decrypt
> qpdf --decrypt --password=123 protected.pdf unprotected.pdf
Nice. Is there also a nice GUI as was pdftk-qgui? Command line is fine, but
some people prefer to click...

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Bengt Gördén
Den 2017-10-20 kl. 11:38, skrev Vojtěch Zeisek:
> Nice. Is there also a nice GUI as was pdftk-qgui? Command line is fine, but
> some people prefer to click...

Not that I know of. Maybe someone else can recommend one. Sorry.

--
/bengan

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Bengt Gördén
Den 2017-10-20 kl. 11:50, skrev Bengt Gördén:
> Den 2017-10-20 kl. 11:38, skrev Vojtěch Zeisek:
>> Nice. Is there also a nice GUI as was pdftk-qgui? Command line is fine, but
>> some people prefer to click...
> Not that I know of. Maybe someone else can recommend one. Sorry.

Here is the answer from the developer why he can't make a GUI.

https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/130#issuecomment-322019596

--
/bengan

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

On 2017-10-20 08:08, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I find ghostscript does everything I need (wrt PDFs).
>>
>> Can you remove passwords, change internal permissions wit ghostscript?
>>

> I don't know, I never had the need.
Well, that's the kind of things we need "pdftk" for.

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

Olaf Hering-2
On Thu, Oct 19, ken wrote:

> Is there an app called pdftk for suse?

It is in Leap.
For Tumbleweed a copy exists in the "Java:bootstrap" project, unclear
for how long it will survive.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Java:bootstrap/pdftk

In case someone steps up and provides packages just enough to build it
in Packman, go ahead.

Olaf

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

David Haller-4

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Bengt Gördén wrote:
>Den 2017-10-20 kl. 11:38, skrev Vojtech Zeisek:
>> Nice. Is there also a nice GUI as was pdftk-qgui? Command line is fine, but
>> some people prefer to click...
>
>Not that I know of. Maybe someone else can recommend one. Sorry.

pdfsam

-dnh

--
In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then howcome people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?

ken

Re: pdftk exists in suse?

ken
On 10/20/2017 07:58 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-10-20 08:08, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Can you remove passwords, change internal permissions wit ghostscript?
>>>
>> I don't know, I never had the need.
> Well, that's the kind of things we need "pdftk" for.

Agreed.  For anyone having to handle PDFs -- which is almost everybody
these days -- it's just too useful to let drop in the bitbucket.