parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone
Hello,

I try to install a system (on vmware) with autoyast. In the network,
where the system is located is no dhcp server.
So I added:

hostip=10.1.1.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 autoyast=http://10.1.1.100/autoyast.xml

to the boot prompt.

The system was booting and started the yast in "autoyast mode", but
got no ip address. I tried to ping from the other server, no response.
So I canceled the installation and started a bash from the text menu
and configured the ip via ifconfig. After this, I run the installation
again.

Now the autoyast.xml was loaded from the webserver and the
installation finished.
Why does the booting client in the vmware not take the ip from the
parameter hostip?

Thanks Meike

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Per Jessen-2
Meike Stone wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to install a system (on vmware) with autoyast. In the network,
> where the system is located is no dhcp server.
> So I added:
>
> hostip=10.1.1.1 netmask=255.255.255.0
> autoyast=http://10.1.1.100/autoyast.xml
>

> to the boot prompt.
>
> The system was booting and started the yast in "autoyast mode", but
> got no ip address. I tried to ping from the other server, no response.
> So I canceled the installation and started a bash from the text menu
> and configured the ip via ifconfig. After this, I run the installation
> again.
>
> Now the autoyast.xml was loaded from the webserver and the
> installation finished.
> Why does the booting client in the vmware not take the ip from the
> parameter hostip?

I could be wrong, but I think the parameter is just 'ip'.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.6°C)

2012/3/14 Per Jessen <[hidden email]>:

> I could be wrong, but I think the parameter is just 'ip'.

Hello,

I tried this, but it didn't help.
I think hostip is the right parameter:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc

Hmm...

Meike Stone wrote:

> 2012/3/14 Per Jessen <[hidden email]>:
>> I could be wrong, but I think the parameter is just 'ip'.
>
> Hello,
>
> I tried this, but it didn't help.
> I think hostip is the right parameter:
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc
>
> Hmm...

Do you have any console output from around the time when the interface is being
brought up?  I guess on vmware you will also need the right bridging or NAT'ing
setup.

/Per

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone

> Do you have any console output from around the time when the interface is
> being brought up?  I guess on vmware you will also need the right bridging
> or NAT'ing setup.

Yes, but is does not running in the initscripts.
I see during booting from DVD the hardware scan and it finds the right
nic (e1000) and load it successfully.
Then the installation system is loaded in six parts (1/6 to 6/6).
after this hald, syslogd, klaogd and than yast is starting. Yast makes
an inventory/system check
and then it tries the get the autoyast xml. That will fail.

Meike

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone

> Maybe a silly question, but does it work without autoyast?

I don't no, because without autoyast parameter, it runs in normal setup ...

Meike

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone

> Yes, but if the network setup works _without_ autoyast, but not _with_
> autoyast,
> the problem has to be in your autoyast setup?

But how can I check this?

Meike

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone
Hello,

I started again, but used the textmode and swiched to an free terminal.
Here is the yast startup logfile (y2start.log)

No other files under /var/log are found, who are shows the ip 10.1.1.170

Stage [1]: YaST2 startup level (1)...
Stage [1]: ==========================
        |-- export AutoYaST="http://10.1.1.111:5101/suse.xml"
        |-- export Cdrom="disk/by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_10000000000000000001"
        |-- export Cmdline="splash=silent"
        |-- export Device="disk/by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_10000000000000000001"
        |-- export Display="Color"
        |-- export EFI="0"
        |-- export ESCDELAY="10"
        |-- export HOME="/"
        |-- export HasPCMCIA="0"
        |-- export InitrdID="2011-11-10.9d4caeb8"
        |-- export InitrdModules="scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi
floppy cdrom sr_mod sg st thermal_sys thermal parport ppa ata_generic"
        |-- export InstMode="cd"
        |-- export InstsysURL="boot/x86_64/root"
        |-- export Keyboard="1"
        |-- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=":/y2update/lib64:/y2update/lib:/y2update/plugin"
        |-- export Locale="de_DE"
        |-- export Manual="0"
        |-- export MemFree="2008552"
        |-- export NoPCMCIA="0"
        |-- export OLDPWD
        |-- export Options="thermal tzp=50"
        |-- export PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/lbin"
        |-- export PWD="/"
        |-- export Partition="disk/by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_10000000000000000001"
        |-- export RepoURL="cd:/?device=disk/by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_10000000000000000001"
        |-- export SHLVL="3"
        |-- export Serverdir="/"
        |-- export SourceType="dir"
        |-- export Sourcemounted="1"
        |-- export StartShell="0"
        |-- export TERM="linux"
        |-- export Textmode="1"
        |-- export UpdateDir="/linux/suse/x86_64-12.1"
        |-- export UseSSH="0"
        |-- export UseSax2="0"
        |-- export VNC="0"
        |-- export WithiSCSI="0"
        |-- export XCURSOR_THEME="DMZ"
        |-- export Y2GDB="0"
        |-- export YAST2_SSH="false"
        |-- export YAST_DEBUG="/debug/yast.debug"
        |-- export YaST2update="0"
        |-- export ZyppRepoURL="cd:/?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_10000000000000000001"
        |-- export autoyast="http://10.1.1.111:5101/suse.xml"
        |-- export hostip="10.1.1.170"
        |-- export initrd="initrd"
        |-- export kexec_reboot="1"
        |-- export lang="de_DE"
        |-- export netmask="255.255.255.0"
        |-- export splash="silent"
        |-- export textmode="1"
        |-- Creating hook script list: preFirstStage...
        |-- Level 1 stages:
        |-- F02-hwinfo
        |-- F03-umount
        |-- F04-language
        |-- F05-cmdline
        |-- F06-terminal
        |-- F08-logging
        |-- F09-start
        |-- F10-cleanup
Stage [1]: Starting F02-hwinfo...
Stage [1]: ======================
        |-- Hardware detection for arch: x86_64
Stage [1]: Starting F03-umount...
Stage [1]: ======================
        |-- Trying to umount inst-sys exits with code: 0
Stage [1]: Starting F04-language...
Stage [1]: ========================
        |-- Language set to: de_DE.UTF-8
        |-- Starting UTF-8 mode...
Stage [1]: Starting F05-cmdline...
Stage [1]: =======================
Stage [1]: Starting F06-terminal...
Stage [1]: ========================
        |-- Setup virtual console:
        |-- Type: linux
Stage [1]: Starting F08-logging...
Stage [1]: =======================
        |-- Set YaST2 LOG parameters:
        |-- Maximum log size: 557810 kB
        |-- Maximum log count: 5
Stage [1]: Starting F09-start...
Stage [1]: =====================
        |-- Creating hook script list: preFirstCall...
        |-- Delegate program call to YaST2.call installation initial
Stage [call]: Starting prequalification checks...
Stage [call]: ===================================
        |-- Gtk plugin check failed -> Medium Gtk disabled
        |-- Copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf.template to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        |-- No SSH daemon running -> Medium SSH disabled
Stage [call]: Evaluate medium selection...
Stage [call]: ============================
        |-- Medium Textmode (ncurses) has been selected
Stage [call]: Check selected medium...
Stage [call]: ========================
        |-- Wished medium is: NCURSES
        |-- Selected medium is: NCURSES
        |-- Check for FB-I-terminal: RUN_FBITERM = 0
        |-- Allow big memory allocation: overcommit_memory=1
        |-- Starting YaST2:
        |-- MODULE_NAME: installation
        |-- MODE_FLAGS:
        |-- MODULE_ARGS: ("initial")
        |-- MODE: ncurses
        |-- UI_ARGS:
        |-- QT_IM_MODULE: xim

RE: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Hans-Joachim Ehlers
> AutoYaST="http://10.1.1.111:5101/suse.xml"

Does autoyast supports to give a port number on its command line ? I thought it does not.

Hans-Joachim Ehlers wrote:
>> AutoYaST="http://10.1.1.111:5101/suse.xml"
>
> Does autoyast supports to give a port number on its command line ? I thought it does not.

I'm not sure, but it's really just a regular URL, so unless autoyast does it's
own parsing (instead of using libcurl or similar), it should work.

/Per

2012/3/15 Per Jessen <[hidden email]>:

> Hans-Joachim Ehlers wrote:
>>>
>>> AutoYaST="http://10.1.1.111:5101/suse.xml"
>>

>> Does autoyast supports to give a port number on its command line ? I
>> thought it does not.
>

> I'm not sure, but it's really just a regular URL, so unless autoyast does
> it's own parsing (instead of using libcurl or similar), it should work.

Hello,

the url is working with this port. The installation is running well
after i set the ip on commandpromt (Alt-Fx/ifconfig)
Problem is only, that the client don't get the ip address.

Thanks Meike

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Lars Müller
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 09:20:11AM +0100, Meike Stone wrote:

> the url is working with this port. The installation is running well
> after i set the ip on commandpromt (Alt-Fx/ifconfig)
> Problem is only, that the client don't get the ip address.

Consider to feed bugzilla regarding this.

If you do so include the pointer to the initial mail of this thread
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00665.html and report the
bug ID if possible as clickable URL back to this discussion.

Thanks,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone
> Consider to feed bugzilla regarding this.
>
> If you do so include the pointer to the initial mail of this thread
> http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00665.html and report the
> bug ID if possible as clickable URL back to this discussion.

Hello Lars,

I can't believe, that this is an error on openSuSE (12.1). I tried to
do this with SELS11SP1 and SP2 too, but the same result. Is there
anything, that I do not see?
I switched to a shell with Alt-F2 back from (auto)yast and searched
the whole /etc and /etc/init.d for "ifconfig", "ip addr" and "dhcp".
But I only found one match for "ip addr" in /etc/init.d/boot.localnet
regarding the local interface "lo"
(/sbin/ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 brd + dev lo).
Should the ip not set during boot via init script?

Meike Stone wrote:

>> Consider to feed bugzilla regarding this.
>>
>> If you do so include the pointer to the initial mail of this thread
>> http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00665.html and report
>> the bug ID if possible as clickable URL back to this discussion.
>>

> Hello Lars,
>
> I can't believe, that this is an error on openSuSE (12.1). I tried to
> do this with SELS11SP1 and SP2 too, but the same result. Is there
> anything, that I do not see?
> I switched to a shell with Alt-F2 back from (auto)yast and searched
> the whole /etc and /etc/init.d for "ifconfig", "ip addr" and "dhcp".
> But I only found one match for "ip addr" in /etc/init.d/boot.localnet
> regarding the local interface "lo"
> (/sbin/ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 brd + dev lo).
> Should the ip not set during boot via init script?

It's probably done by e.g. /sbin/ifup.

Isn't the problem still likely to be specific to autoyast?  I agree it's
difficult to see how when it happens before yast kicks in.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Lars Müller
Mike,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:47:20AM +0100, Meike Stone wrote:
> > Consider to feed bugzilla regarding this.
> >
> > If you do so include the pointer to the initial mail of this thread
> > http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00665.html and report the
> > bug ID if possible as clickable URL back to this discussion.
> >

> I can't believe, that this is an error on openSuSE (12.1).

And I can't believe that I'm this dumb to find the URL pointing to
bugzilla.

Where have you hidden it?

> I tried to
> do this with SELS11SP1 and SP2 too, but the same result. Is there
> anything, that I do not see?

Maybe the suggestion to shift this issue to bugzilla?  Maybe?

As written before on this list not all people working on the development
of openSUSE or SUSE Linux Enterprise follow this list.  Thefore please,
please use bugzilla.  Then you might get the attention of the person in
charge for the particular software piece.

> I switched to a shell with Alt-F2 back from (auto)yast and searched
> the whole /etc and /etc/init.d for "ifconfig", "ip addr" and "dhcp".
> But I only found one match for "ip addr" in /etc/init.d/boot.localnet
> regarding the local interface "lo"
> (/sbin/ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 brd + dev lo).
> Should the ip not set during boot via init script?

No, we're used to configure the IP address on shutdown only.  This
internet thing is this new and dangerous.  And German Angst is well
known. ;)

Honestly, a working network config is a must have.

As bug must be tracked by bugzilla.

Even if some people think it's better to discuss an issue on list till
it gets bit rotten.  But this approach only ensures we have something to
whine about. ;))

Come on Meike, make bugzilla your friend and feed it well.

The osc tool also is able to tell you who is the default bug owner.

Thanks,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Meike Stone
Lars,

thank you for enlighten me ;-)

I found the "thing I didn't see".

For all, who have the same Problem:

I you want install via autoyast and load the xml-file from network,
than it is not enough to do this via "hostip" and "autoyast" parameter.

It is required to use the additiona parameter "netsetup=1".

example for boot option:

netsetup=1 hostip=10.1.1.100/24 gateway=10.1.1.1
autoyast=http://222.2.2.22:1024/install.xml

here the values for netsetup:

# default = dhcp,hostip,netmask,gateway,nameserver
netsetup=default
# same as 'default'
netsetup=1
# do dhcp
netsetup=dhcp
# setup all interfaces
netsetup=dhcp,all
# ask for static network parameters and configure it immediately
netsetup=-dhcp,now

Sadly, it is not documented (forgotten?) in the deployment guide from SLES11.

Thanks all,

Meike

2012/3/15 Lars Müller <[hidden email]>:

> Mike,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:47:20AM +0100, Meike Stone wrote:
>> > Consider to feed bugzilla regarding this.
>> >
>> > If you do so include the pointer to the initial mail of this thread
>> > http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00665.html and report the
>> > bug ID if possible as clickable URL back to this discussion.
>> >

>> I can't believe, that this is an error on openSuSE (12.1).
>
> And I can't believe that I'm this dumb to find the URL pointing to
> bugzilla.
>
> Where have you hidden it?
>
>> I tried to
>> do this with SELS11SP1 and SP2 too, but the same result. Is there
>> anything, that I do not see?
>
> Maybe the suggestion to shift this issue to bugzilla?  Maybe?
>
> As written before on this list not all people working on the development
> of openSUSE or SUSE Linux Enterprise follow this list.  Thefore please,
> please use bugzilla.  Then you might get the attention of the person in
> charge for the particular software piece.
>
>> I switched to a shell with Alt-F2 back from (auto)yast and searched
>> the whole /etc and /etc/init.d for "ifconfig", "ip addr" and "dhcp".
>> But I only found one match for "ip addr" in /etc/init.d/boot.localnet
>> regarding the local interface "lo"
>> (/sbin/ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 brd + dev lo).
>> Should the ip not set during boot via init script?
>
> No, we're used to configure the IP address on shutdown only.  This
> internet thing is this new and dangerous.  And German Angst is well
> known. ;)
>
> Honestly, a working network config is a must have.
>
> As bug must be tracked by bugzilla.
>
> Even if some people think it's better to discuss an issue on list till
> it gets bit rotten.  But this approach only ensures we have something to
> whine about. ;))
>
> Come on Meike, make bugzilla your friend and feed it well.
>
> The osc tool also is able to tell you who is the default bug owner.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars
> --
> Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
> Samba Team
> SUSE Linux, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Brian K. White
On 3/14/2012 1:56 PM, Meike Stone wrote:

>> Yes, but if the network setup works _without_ autoyast, but not _with_
>> autoyast,
>> the problem has to be in your autoyast setup?
>>
> But how can I check this?
>
> Meike

You can use the hostip option without using autoyast.

Also did you also supply the gateway option or is the install server in
the same subnet?

If you have more than one nic in the vm config maybe you need to specify
netdevice also.

I use hostip and gateway and other options all the time for installing
from network but almost never use autoyast.

If you are supplying an autotyast xml, then it's up to you to ensure
that the xml doesn't contain anything that would prevent you from
working, like network settings that aren't right. So the simple thing is
to not use autoyast at all at first and just use the boot options to set
up the network, text mode, ssh, etc.

Actually, before that, use the vmware console and watch the boot
messages and use the text mode installer interactively to choose
network, enter the network settings, install source url, etc.

Only after that works, try putting the same options on the boot command
line as:
text ssh=1 sshpassword=foo hostip=ip/24 gateway=ip nameserver=ip,ip
install=http://host/path/to/dvd-contents-or-ftp-mirror

And only after that works, try adding the autoyast. When it doesn't
work, you know you have the boot and connectivity working and you know
you should look only at the xml. Until you do that, it might be anything
and no one can help.

--
bkw

Re: parameter hostip on boot prompt does not work?

Philipp Thomas
* Meike Stone ([hidden email]) [20120315 16:43]:

> Sadly, it is not documented (forgotten?) in the deployment guide from
> SLES11.

Then *PLEASE* open a bug report on this issue on
https://bugzilla.novell.com!  Otherwise the chances that those doing the
development/documentation will ever change this are extremely slim.

Philipp