openSUSE flaunting GPL

1234 ... 7

openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Seems like openSUSE doesn't bother to include sources anymore for
building their packages.

Since no one seem to care about the bug in the spec-file for samba-3.6.3 causing
it's build
to fail, the fact that perl5.14.2 doesn't build is become evidence of a pattern.

The spec file has a requirement on a package 'db-devel', yet there is no such
package.

Presumably it would include the necessary /usr/include/db.h file that defines
the dbm_open
call needed for perl5 to build as well.

Doesn't this violate the GPL that allows suse's software to be licensed under
the GPL?

Re: [opensuse] openSUSE flaunting GPL

Marcus Meissner
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:43:55AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Seems like openSUSE doesn't bother to include sources anymore for
> building their packages.
>
> Since no one seem to care about the bug in the spec-file for samba-3.6.3
> causing it's build
> to fail, the fact that perl5.14.2 doesn't build is become evidence of a pattern.
>
> The spec file has a requirement on a package 'db-devel', yet there is no
> such package.
>
> Presumably it would include the necessary /usr/include/db.h file that
> defines the dbm_open
> call needed for perl5 to build as well.
>
> Doesn't this violate the GPL that allows suse's software to be licensed
> under the GPL?

No, its not a pattern... Its just that "rpmbuild" and the "osc build" process
act a tad bit different.

osc build pulls in exactly the set of buildrequirements specified and nothing more.

libdb-4_8-devel has:
        Provides:       db-devel = %{version}

and samba probably doesn't build because you have too much builddeps installed
or similar.

CIao, Marcus

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Malcolm-31
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:43:55 -0700
Linda Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems like openSUSE doesn't bother to include sources anymore for
> building their packages.
>
> Since no one seem to care about the bug in the spec-file for
> samba-3.6.3 causing it's build
> to fail, the fact that perl5.14.2 doesn't build is become evidence of
> a pattern.
>
> The spec file has a requirement on a package 'db-devel', yet there is
> no such package.

libdb-4_8-devel

> Presumably it would include the necessary /usr/include/db.h file that
> defines the dbm_open
> call needed for perl5 to build as well.

Above file has it....

> Doesn't this violate the GPL that allows suse's software to be
> licensed under the GPL?

How so, you have the source?

rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.34-0.7-default

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Marcus Meissner wrote:
> osc build pulls in exactly the set of buildrequirements specified and nothing more.
>
> libdb-4_8-devel has:
> Provides:       db-devel = %{version}
----
        Then db-devel doesn't provide the necessary dbm_open call .

Either way the deps are not satisfied.

> and samba probably doesn't build because you have too much builddeps installed
> or similar.
---
        "too much"...   The spec spell out what to build -- if some things should
not build, then the spec shouldn't build them.

        But *part* of the problem requiring python to build everything and going
through a lengthy brp-check that seems to recompile all the python byte code for
every package -- even though the packages don't contain python code.

        In this particular case, though, the spec file uses wildcards to delete files
in directories that do not exist -- I fail to see why the spec file would delete
files in directories that the spec file doesn't create ***AND*** do not exist on my
system either..   I have no files of the form /usr/lib64/ldb/libp* on my system due
to any "excess builddeps"...

        I fail to see either reasons applying in this case.

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Malcolm wrote:

> rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....
---
        They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
do not support a local build.  Besides the fact that they don't
easily install and did not install under 11.4 and have not installed
under 12.1.  Apparently I don't have the correct extra -required-
proprietary information needed to build those packages.

That's violates the GPL.

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Bryen M Yunashko
What's with the flamebait subject line?   By "flaunting" you accuse
people of intentionally disregarding GPL, taking a willful action to go
against GPL.   Do you see anything published anywhere where such
intention is declared?

Wouldn't it be better to say "Hmm I'm looking for sources, in compliance
with GPL.  But I don't see it anywhere, can someone point me to this?
If it isn't there, perhaps we should address it in order to stay in
compliance with GPL?"

Picking a fight by slamming people in a blindsided way is just totally
and wholly unproductive.  It contributes to the increasingly bad taste
people are having with the mailing lists.   Cool it and approach it in a
more sensible manner please.  You'll get the answers you're looking for
better with honey than cowdung.

Thanks,
Bryen

On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 10:43 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Seems like openSUSE doesn't bother to include sources anymore for
> building their packages.
>
> Since no one seem to care about the bug in the spec-file for samba-3.6.3 causing
> it's build
> to fail, the fact that perl5.14.2 doesn't build is become evidence of a pattern.
>
> The spec file has a requirement on a package 'db-devel', yet there is no such
> package.
>
> Presumably it would include the necessary /usr/include/db.h file that defines
> the dbm_open
> call needed for perl5 to build as well.
>
> Doesn't this violate the GPL that allows suse's software to be licensed under
> the GPL?

openSUSE 12.2 RC1 problem watching video on youtube

maury63ts
Hi to all....
One question
After installed openSUSE 12.2 RC1, the video on youtube have shifted the
croma color.... but if I'm downloading the video and I'm watching on
VLC, no problem.
DVD or other indifferent format, no problem with VLC or some other player.
Why?

Regards
Maury

Re: openSUSE 12.2 RC1 problem watching video on youtube

Bryen M Yunashko
Please do not hijack a thread.

Thanks,
Bryen

On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 20:48 +0200, maury63ts wrote:

> Hi to all....
> One question
> After installed openSUSE 12.2 RC1, the video on youtube have shifted the
> croma color.... but if I'm downloading the video and I'm watching on
> VLC, no problem.
> DVD or other indifferent format, no problem with VLC or some other player.
> Why?
>
> Regards
> Maury

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
> What's with the flamebait subject line?   By "flaunting" you accuse
> people of intentionally disregarding GPL, taking a willful action to go
> against GPL.   Do you see anything published anywhere where such
> intention is declared?
---
        I have stated before that by relying on the "osc" and "OBS", are
not good methods of ensuring GPL compliance.   In 11.4, it was shown that
osc scripts were broken and would not create home dirs or projects.

        Then it was suggested, I rely on OBS and let the 'vendor' build my
binaries -- again -- a violation of the GPL.   This was pointed out a year
ago when I upgraded to 11.4.

        In upgrading to 12.1, I'm running into worse compatibility problems --
I can no longer download tars for packages from the internet, and run
"configure" and Make and expect it to work on a openSUSE system.

        I complained about these developments a year ago and the result
was that compliance was too difficult -- that only non-GPL compliant
osc and OBS were supported.

        With 12.1, not only were problems in 11.4 NOT fixed and not only was
the ability to build improved, but it got worse.   I consider that flaunting.

        They may have not put advertisements in the national newspapers, but
those who violate the GPL rarely do.   They simply justify proprietary needs
to or create 'maker-owned' permissions or resources to generate their product.
This allows them to track and be gatekeepers to generating the source.   That's
not GPL compliance.  And, as I said, it's gotten worse in 12.1.

        You can call it flamebait.  I'm hoping it might get the attention of people
willing to make sure it changes rather than it becoming worse as it has over the
past couple of years.

Re: openSUSE 12.2 RC1 problem watching video on youtube

maury63ts
Well... after your answer, I've decide to change  distro linux

Bye at all.

Il 15/07/2012 20.49, Bryen M Yunashko ha scritto:

> Please do not hijack a thread.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryen
>

> On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 20:48 +0200, maury63ts wrote:
>> Hi to all....
>> One question
>> After installed openSUSE 12.2 RC1, the video on youtube have shifted the
>> croma color.... but if I'm downloading the video and I'm watching on
>> VLC, no problem.
>> DVD or other indifferent format, no problem with VLC or some other player.
>> Why?
>>
>> Regards
>> Maury

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Anders Johansson-9
On Sunday 15 July 2012 11:25:08 Linda Walsh wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
> > rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....
>
> ---
> They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
> off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
> do not support a local build.  Besides the fact that they don't
> easily install and did not install under 11.4 and have not installed
> under 12.1.  Apparently I don't have the correct extra -required-
> proprietary information needed to build those packages.
>
> That's violates the GPL.

The gdbm-devel package has the dbm_open call. If you install the source RPM
with "zypper si samba" you get all the required packages needed for build. If
you want to do it manually, grep the spec file for BuildRequires and be sure
you only get the ones that are %if defined for your version of openSUSE.
zypper will do it for you automatically. You then do "rpmbuild -bb
/usr/src/packages/SPECS/samba.spec" and it builds to completion. I just did it
- it works

Anders

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Malcolm-31
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:25:08 -0700
Linda Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
>

> > rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....
> ---
> They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
> off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
> do not support a local build.  Besides the fact that they don't
> easily install and did not install under 11.4 and have not installed
> under 12.1.  Apparently I don't have the correct extra -required-
> proprietary information needed to build those packages.
>
> That's violates the GPL.

Install a local instance of OBS and build away.....

You have the src rpm, yes? You have the source tarball, yes? You have
any applied patches etc, yes?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.34-0.7-default
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Re: openSUSE 12.2 RC1 problem watching video on youtube

Bryen M Yunashko
Do you even understand the nature of what you did?

When you take an existing email in a mailing list and reply to it and
simply change the subject it creates a big technical problem for some
email clients.  Intelligent email clients will thread a discussion and
reads the headers inside an email to determine if it is indeed part of
an existing thread.

When the thread becomes long, and someone starts a new topic within that
thread (as you have done) then the problem becomes evident.  At this
point in time, you only "hijacked a thread" (yes that's the technical
term for it, that was short.  But if some thread is 50-100 messages long
and you hijack it, there's a good chance no one will see your new
subject and help you out.

Switching to another distro doesn't solve the problem.  You're just
dumping the same malformed mailing list habit onto another distro that
will have to contend with you.

So, as part of normal mailing list netiquette that exists everywhere,
please don't hijack a thread.   Create a brand new email.  it isn't that
hard to do.  And it will ensure that you get the attention you are
looking for to help you out.  Otherwise, all is lost.

Thanks,
Bryen

On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 20:55 +0200, maury63ts wrote:

> Well... after your answer, I've decide to change  distro linux
>
> Bye at all.
>

> Il 15/07/2012 20.49, Bryen M Yunashko ha scritto:
> > Please do not hijack a thread.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bryen
> >

> > On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 20:48 +0200, maury63ts wrote:
> >> Hi to all....
> >> One question
> >> After installed openSUSE 12.2 RC1, the video on youtube have shifted the
> >> croma color.... but if I'm downloading the video and I'm watching on
> >> VLC, no problem.
> >> DVD or other indifferent format, no problem with VLC or some other player.
> >> Why?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Maury

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Anders Johansson-9
On Sunday 15 July 2012 11:53:36 Linda Walsh wrote:
> Then it was suggested, I rely on OBS and let the 'vendor' build my
> binaries -- again -- a violation of the GPL.   This was pointed out a year
> ago when I upgraded to 11.4.

"osc build" builds the package locally on your machine. There is no violation
of the GPL, the GPL actually requires the tools the vendor uses to build the
package, and that is what openSUSE provides. "osc build" sets up a chroot
build environment locally on your machine, similar in most respects to the old
build.rpm package

> In upgrading to 12.1, I'm running into worse compatibility problems --
> I can no longer download tars for packages from the internet, and run
> "configure" and Make and expect it to work on a openSUSE system.

I have never seen any such problem. Is this the one where you ran things with
env -i, expecting things to work with an empty environment?

I build things all the time and I have never seen an issue, nor have I heard
of any such bug reports

Anders

On Sunday 15 July 2012 20:48:42 maury63ts wrote:
> Hi to all....
> One question
> After installed openSUSE 12.2 RC1, the video on youtube have shifted the
> croma color.... but if I'm downloading the video and I'm watching on
> VLC, no problem.
> DVD or other indifferent format, no problem with VLC or some other player.
> Why?

It is a bug in flash-player when hardware acceleration is enabled. Right-click
on the video, go in to the settings of flash and disable hardware
acceleration. Adobe knows about it, but doesn't seem to care

Anders

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Anders Johansson wrote:
> The gdbm-devel package has the dbm_open call.
----
That are only included if you have ndbm installed, which openSUSE does not:
Oh?  Not according to a grep of it's contents:
> rpm -ql gdbm-devel|xargs grep dbm_open
/usr/include/gdbm.h:/* Parameters to gdbm_open for READERS, WRITERS, and WRITERS who
/usr/include/gdbm.h:extern GDBM_FILE gdbm_open __P((char *, int, int, int, void
(*)()));
/usr/include/ndbm.h:extern DBM  *dbm_open __P((char *file, int flags, int mode));

---
OpenSuSE only has gdbm -- so only gdbm, but no compat layer for ndbm->gdbm is found:

config section says:

<ndbm.h> found.
<gdbm/ndbm.h> NOT found.
<gdbm-ndbm.h> NOT found.
dbm_open() NOT found.
Hmm.  Based on the hints in hints/linux.sh,
the recommended value for $d_dbm_open on this machine was "define"!
     Keep the recommended value? [y]
Checking if your <ndbm.h> uses prototypes...

> If you install the source RPM
> with "zypper si samba" you get all the required packages needed for build.
----
        I did:
# zypper si samba
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following source package is going to be installed:
   samba

1 source package to install.
Overall download size: 23.5 MiB. After the operation, additional 23.8 MiB will
be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
-----------(was already in local cache)

Did the same with perl.

> . You then do "rpmbuild -bb
> /usr/src/packages/SPECS/samba.spec" and it builds to completion. I just did it
> - it works
----
I've been using rpmbuild -bb.

Could you send me your build log so I can look for clues as to why yours would
work -- in particular
I'm interested in sections like the above.  I have other errors after that, but
they could all be
caused by bugs due to dbm_open not working...

You can send it to me or to the list...

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 15/07/12 14:25, Linda Walsh escribió:

> ---
>     They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
> off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
> do not support a local build.

No, the GPL applies to distribution of binaries, that is, sources must
be available to the people to whom the binaries are distributed.

Nothing else, it does not include "supporting local build" or
"off-machine" permissions.

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 15/07/12 14:53, Linda Walsh escribió:

>     Then it was suggested, I rely on OBS and let the 'vendor' build my
> binaries -- again -- a violation of the GPL.

No, the GPL does not regulate that, in short to clear up your poor
understanding

Joe Doe wants GPL software X , gets BINARY X , then Joe Doe must be able
to access the source code of BINARY X. (not of binary Y nor Joe's
neighboard that has not get a binary)

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

L A Walsh
Malcolm wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:25:08 -0700
> Linda Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Malcolm wrote:
>>
>>> rpmbuild is not supported as far as I know, use osc and OBS.....
>> ---
>> They do not comply with the GPL -- they require accounts and
>> off-machine "permissions" (i.e. a form of "licensing") to build...and
>> do not support a local build.  Besides the fact that they don't
>> easily install and did not install under 11.4 and have not installed
>> under 12.1.  Apparently I don't have the correct extra -required-
>> proprietary information needed to build those packages.
>>
>> That's violates the GPL.
>>
> Install a local instance of OBS and build away.....
----
Have tried under 11.4 and 12.1 neither built.

I pursued it under 11.4, but have not under 12.1, as the OBS system is a
boondoogle that requires building and installing a separate build root
for software that is supposed to be able to be "config'ed" and built anywhere.
Suse has broken that system.

I am not expecting a binary duplicate of a binary built on my system with
rpmbuild to be the same as one built with OBS -- but I am expecting it to build.

That I need to develop and debug SuSE's proprietary OBS system to create
an unsatisfactory build environment, is less than satisfactory.

> You have the src rpm, yes? You have the source tarball, yes? You have
> any applied patches etc, yes?
---
        I have tried source tarballs, patched tarballs, source rpm's..

perl fails for the same reasons -- the expected dbm_open call can't be found
by configure.

samba -- I can build older versions or ones from 'source3' (which is
FINE for me,), but when my machine was updated with 3.6.3 (or 3.6.1),
all of my clients were no longer able to access the server.  So I tried
building just the source3 part of those -- didn't work (don't remember exact
issues -- maybe just no access, though I think some things didn't start).

With the official suse rpm, it starts, but existing configs and users are locked
out.  So I go back and rebuild/reinstall 3.5.11, voila, access again, users are
happy.

I have another set of issues with squid (3.x), in trying to debug core dumps --
gdb says to do 'zypper ....23095823908abcde89350a91248..."
(some long hex id)... I do that, and the majority of those numbers can't be found --
and a few come back saying the don't match the installed version.

So that's another whole set of libraries and sources that I would want to
rebuild on my system
with my existing libraries...since having debug stuff for a sterile OBS build system
isn't the same as having debug packages for live systems that aren't wiped clean
after
each install.

The debug packages alone won't work, in some cases, unless you only run and
debug under
an OBS root -- completely impractical.

Re: openSUSE flaunting GPL

Bryen M Yunashko
On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 13:14 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> That I need to develop and debug SuSE's proprietary OBS system to
> create
> an unsatisfactory build environment, is less than satisfactory.

AFAIK, OBS is not proprietary.  It is a tool developed under the
openSUSE Project and thus open sourced.  Yes, SUSE uses it for
commercial contracts, but I'm 90% certain that doesn't make OBS
proprietary.

Bryen

1234 ... 7