openSUSE announces rename of openSUSE 12.1 milestone 6 to Beta

openSUSE announces rename of openSUSE 12.1 milestone 6 to Beta

Jos Poortvliet-5
The openSUSE community is happy to announce that the 6th Milestone of
the upcoming release will be renamed openSUSE 12.1 Beta 1. This change
in name reflects the state of this milestone, being ready for more
extensive testing. After the beta, 2 release candidates will become
available in quick succession before the final release. To celebrate the
Beta release and give it a good workout, we call out on the community to
organize BetaPizza parties around the world!

<h2>Release Schedule</h2>
As can be found in the detailed release schedule for 12.1</a> openSUSE
has a 8 month development schedule. Starting about 6 weeks after the
previous openSUSE release, 6 monthly milestones followed by two Release
Candidates are published for testing the upcoming openSUSE version. From
the 6th milestone onwards only major/critical/blocker bug fixes are
allowed and localization testing commences. Most other projects refer to
this stage as 'beta testing' and the release team of openSUSE has
decided to follow this naming from now on upon request of the openSUSE
QA team.

Release team coordinator Stephan "Coolo" Kulow notes: "the 6th milestone
has sometimes gotten less testing than it deserved. We want to ensure
the quality and stability of openSUSE and give users the best experience
as possible. We need help from the wider community to find and fix the
bugs in this release and this beta is the perfect opportunity to help
out!"

The latest openSUSE testing release can always be found on the openSUSE
download page.

Find the openSUSE 12.1 portal page here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:12.1
Find the detailed openSUSE 12.1 release schedule here:
http://www.suse.de/~coolo/opensuse_12.1/
Download the latest openSUSE 12.1 test image on:
http://software.opensuse.org/developer