openSUSE Tumbleweed and Firefox

Frank Krüger
Today's Tumbleweed snapshot 20170723 provides Firefox ESR 52.2.1,
instead of version 54.0.1.

Since Firefox 55 is scheduled to be released in the beginning of August,
I would like to ask whether Tumbleweed will stick to ESR or follow
upstream releases in the future.

Regards, Frank

Re: openSUSE Tumbleweed and Firefox

Felix Miata-3
Frank Krüger composed on 2017-07-24 22:41 (UTC+0200):

> Today's Tumbleweed snapshot 20170723 provides Firefox ESR 52.2.1,
> instead of version 54.0.1.

> Since Firefox 55 is scheduled to be released in the beginning of August,
> I would like to ask whether Tumbleweed will stick to ESR or follow
> upstream releases in the future.

Wolfgang reported on problems due to rust for building 54+ on Linux back in March:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory-mozilla/2017-03/msg00000.html

From my reading, TW should normally have both, but non-ESR may suffer delays.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: openSUSE Tumbleweed and Firefox

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 25.07.2017 um 00:04 schrieb Felix Miata:

> Frank Krüger composed on 2017-07-24 22:41 (UTC+0200):
>
>> Today's Tumbleweed snapshot 20170723 provides Firefox ESR 52.2.1,
>> instead of version 54.0.1.
>
>> Since Firefox 55 is scheduled to be released in the beginning of August,
>> I would like to ask whether Tumbleweed will stick to ESR or follow
>> upstream releases in the future.
>
> Wolfgang reported on problems due to rust for building 54+ on Linux back in March:
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory-mozilla/2017-03/msg00000.html
>
> From my reading, TW should normally have both, but non-ESR may suffer delays.

The other mail was:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-04/msg00926.html

Nothing has changed since then due to 1) time constraints and 2) rust
availability for i686 (Firefox dropped i586 support as well). A recent
rust version built for i686 is apparently on its way to TW. Another
option would be to kill Firefox for x86 completely as upstream did.
There would be some things to discuss where I'm looking for feedback and
also advice.

Wolfgang