openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

1234 ... 9

openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Richard Brown
Hi all,

On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
be:

openSUSE Leap 15

As with Leap 42.x, minor releases are expected annually for at least 3
years, so you can expect a Leap 15.1 to follow, then 15.2 and onwards.

Obviously this is quite a dramatic change from the current version
number of 42.x, so I will explain what justifies this change in some
detail below.

First, some history. When we started openSUSE Leap, the version number
was an issue that needed addressing. openSUSE at that time was at
13.2, but SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) was at 12 and heading towards 12
SP1.

As the main unique selling point of Leap compared to every other
distribution is the fact it is based on SLE sources. We wanted to
reflect that in the version number.
This was particularly important when you consider that a major version
in SLE really means something ("major architectural changes from the
last version are introduced here") whereas minor versions/service
packs have a very different message ("easy to upgrade to, no major
workflow breaking changes"). Leap follows a similar philosophy, so we
wanted a versioning scheme to reflect SLEs.

But openSUSE had already had versions starting with 12, so we couldn't
sync up with SLE. This is where 42.x came from. It gave us the
opportunity to establish a relationship with SLE versions (SLE Version
+ 30 = Leap Version), reflect the major/minor nature of Leap releases,
and avoid clashes with version numbers we'd already used.
The choice of 42 doubled as a humorous nod to hitchhikers guide to the
galaxy and the first version numbers of SuSE Linux and YaST (4.2 and
0.42 respectively).

The plan was therefore for the next version of Leap to be 43 with it's
release aligned with SLE 13, followed by Leap 43.1 (with SLE 13 SP1),
Leap 43.2 (w. SP2), etc

However, like all good plans, things change.

SUSE have decided that their next version of SLE will be 15, not 13.

Upon learning of SUSE's plans the Board and Leap release team have
been considering our options.
This included ignoring the changes to SLE and releasing Leap 43 as
planned, at the cost of the link between SLE versions and Leap
versions.
45 was also considered, as were some frankly hilarious ideas that made
me worry about my own sanity and that of my fellow contributors.

After considering the pros and cons of all the options however, the
decision has been that Leap 15 will be our next version.

SUSE's decision to skip SLE 13 and 14 gave us a perfect opportunity to
sync up with SLE versions like we always wanted to originally with
Leap. It's an opportunity we will not be able to take so easily a few
years from now if we continued with Leaps current versioning.

There are only a few packages in our distribution that reference the
42.x versioning, and they should be easily handled as part of a zypper
dup, so we are not concerned about this decision impacting users
upgrading.

We are aware that this decision could be a minor annoyance for users
of Leap with configuration management tools like saltstack and puppet,
but the long term opportunity to simplify such configuration (by being
able to treat SLE and Leap similarly) outweighed our desire to avoid a
'one-time' effort for people currently handling the overly complicated
situation caused by Leap being at 42.x and SLE being at 12 SPx.

Packagers should be able to look forward to an easier time of things
as a result of this change. We intend to deprecate the
0%{leap_version} macro and simplify the current complex nest of
suse_version and sle_versions that can make it very frustrating to
build packages appropriately for Tumbleweed, Leap and SLE.

0%{suse_version} should continue to be available as a simple indicator
of the major version of Leap & SLE for packagers (eg, 0%{suse_version}
== 1500 is the expected value for SLE 15 and Leap 15 and all of their
minor versions/service packs).

0%{sle_version} should remain as a more precise indicator when
packagers need to handle specific versions of Leap and SLE (eg.
0%{sle_version} == 150000 is the expected value for SLE 15 & Leap 15,
with 150100 being the expected value for SLE 15 SP1 & Leap 15.1)

0%{is_opensuse} will continue for those times when packagers need to
distinguish between Leap and SLE even though they will now more
closely share their versions.

The above examples and what the future suse_version number will be for
Tumbleweed is not yet final, so expect to see emails from ludwig in
[hidden email] when they are set.

Thanks to everyone involved in this so far, I'm looking forward to
seeing what we make out of Leap 15, and even though I cross-posted
this I would like to ask that any followup conversation is kept to the
[hidden email] thread.

Regards,

Richard Brown
on behalf of the openSUSE Board

Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Daniele
Il 22/04/2017 13:37, Richard Brown ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> be:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15
15 ? Seriously ?
So absurd that is hard to debate...

Daniele.

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Rüdiger Meier
On 04/22/2017 01:37 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> be:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15

What have you been smoking? Remove at least the useless "Leap" substring
again to make clear that introducing 42.x was also just a big mistake.

All your explanations about "why 15" are completely useless. The only
nondebatable sense of version numbers is that there are ordered. It's
not possible to justify randomly ordered version numbers.

cu,
Rudi

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

ianseeks-4
On Saturday, 22 April 2017 12:37:48 BST Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> be:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15

Oh dear.... This continual rebranding, renumbering and renaming only causes
confusion, it looks like no-one knows what they are doing especially after the
big-sell of Leap and 42.
The same happened with the  rebranding of KDE5 to Plasma when everyone expects
common sense to continue with KDE5 as its got so much history and its logical
to go from KDE4 to KDE5.

I guess it keeps someone busy.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170419
Qt: 5.7.1

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 14:00:27 BST Richard Brown wrote:
> I don't think you thoroughly read the whole email given the last line asked

I'm not on the opensuse-project list so i responded to the one posted to
tumbleweed.  I'll have a read of the list and see if i have anything to
contribute.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170419
Qt: 5.7.1
KDE Frameworks: 5.32.0
KDE Plasma: 5.9.4
kwin 5.9.4
kmail2 5.4.3
akonadiserver 5.4.3
Kernel:  4.10.9-1-default
Nouveau:  1.0.14_2.1

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Felix Miata-3
Richard Brown composed on 2017-04-22 13:37 (UTC+0200):

> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> be:

> openSUSE Leap 15

:-(

I get why 15, so won't try to argue against it even though I don't like it.

What I don't get is why to keep the Leap part. I didn't like it before, but will
like it less, with the reason for it effectively lost on going down from 42 to
15. I won't type or speak the superfluous term, just as I already don't.

If I had my druthers, next would be Opensuse 1501, 1502, 1503, 1601, 1602, 1603,
1701, etc.; or 151, 152, 153, 161, 162, 163, 171, etc.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Rüdiger Meier

On 04/22/2017 01:37 PM, Richard Brown wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> be:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15
>
> As with Leap 42.x, minor releases are expected annually for at least 3
> years, so you can expect a Leap 15.1 to follow, then 15.2 and onwards.
>
> Obviously this is quite a dramatic change from the current version
> number of 42.x, so I will explain what justifies this change in some
> detail below.
>
> First, some history. When we started openSUSE Leap, the version number
> was an issue that needed addressing. openSUSE at that time was at
> 13.2, but SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) was at 12 and heading towards 12
> SP1.
>
> As the main unique selling point of Leap compared to every other
> distribution is the fact it is based on SLE sources. We wanted to
> reflect that in the version number.
> This was particularly important when you consider that a major version
> in SLE really means something ("major architectural changes from the
> last version are introduced here") whereas minor versions/service
> packs have a very different message ("easy to upgrade to, no major
> workflow breaking changes"). Leap follows a similar philosophy, so we
> wanted a versioning scheme to reflect SLEs.
>
> But openSUSE had already had versions starting with 12, so we couldn't
> sync up with SLE. This is where 42.x came from. It gave us the
> opportunity to establish a relationship with SLE versions (SLE Version
> + 30 = Leap Version), reflect the major/minor nature of Leap releases,
> and avoid clashes with version numbers we'd already used.
> The choice of 42 doubled as a humorous nod to hitchhikers guide to the
> galaxy and the first version numbers of SuSE Linux and YaST (4.2 and
> 0.42 respectively).
>
> The plan was therefore for the next version of Leap to be 43 with it's
> release aligned with SLE 13, followed by Leap 43.1 (with SLE 13 SP1),
> Leap 43.2 (w. SP2), etc
>
> However, like all good plans, things change.

"Good plans", is it joke. and actually nothing has changed. The
association between SLE-12 + 30 = Leap-42 was already ridiculous.
Anyways, wasn't it clear at this time that SLE-13 would be Leap-43 and
SLE-15 would be Leap-45. How can your "good" plan be bad after two years?

> SUSE have decided that their next version of SLE will be 15, not 13.
>
> Upon learning of SUSE's plans the Board and Leap release team have
> been considering our options.
> This included ignoring the changes to SLE and releasing Leap 43 as
> planned, at the cost of the link between SLE versions and Leap
> versions.
> 45 was also considered, as were some frankly hilarious ideas that made
> me worry about my own sanity and that of my fellow contributors.

Why is "15 + 30 = 45" more hilarious as "12 + 30 = 42"? I can't follow.

> After considering the pros and cons of all the options however, the
> decision has been that Leap 15 will be our next version.
>
> SUSE's decision to skip SLE 13 and 14 gave us a perfect opportunity to
> sync up with SLE versions like we always wanted to originally with
> Leap. It's an opportunity we will not be able to take so easily a few
> years from now if we continued with Leaps current versioning.

We have never continued versioning. So far we re-invent stupid versions
each major Leap release. I really hope that next SLE version will be 42
... otherwise you will never learn how to make non-annoying version numbers.

> There are only a few packages in our distribution that reference the
> 42.x versioning, and they should be easily handled as part of a zypper
> dup, so we are not concerned about this decision impacting users
> upgrading.
>
> We are aware that this decision could be a minor annoyance for users
> of Leap with configuration management tools like saltstack and puppet,
> but the long term opportunity to simplify such configuration (by being
> able to treat SLE and Leap similarly) outweighed our desire to avoid a
> 'one-time' effort for people currently handling the overly complicated
> situation caused by Leap being at 42.x and SLE being at 12 SPx.
>
> Packagers should be able to look forward to an easier time of things
> as a result of this change. We intend to deprecate the
> 0%{leap_version} macro and simplify the current complex nest of
> suse_version and sle_versions that can make it very frustrating to
> build packages appropriately for Tumbleweed, Leap and SLE.
>
> 0%{suse_version} should continue to be available as a simple indicator
> of the major version of Leap & SLE for packagers (eg, 0%{suse_version}
> == 1500 is the expected value for SLE 15 and Leap 15 and all of their
> minor versions/service packs).
>
> 0%{sle_version} should remain as a more precise indicator when
> packagers need to handle specific versions of Leap and SLE (eg.
> 0%{sle_version} == 150000 is the expected value for SLE 15 & Leap 15,
> with 150100 being the expected value for SLE 15 SP1 & Leap 15.1)
>
> 0%{is_opensuse} will continue for those times when packagers need to
> distinguish between Leap and SLE even though they will now more
> closely share their versions.
>
> The above examples and what the future suse_version number will be for
> Tumbleweed is not yet final, so expect to see emails from ludwig in
> [hidden email] when they are set.
>
> Thanks to everyone involved in this so far, I'm looking forward to
> seeing what we make out of Leap 15, and even though I cross-posted
> this I would like to ask that any followup conversation is kept to the
> [hidden email] thread.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Brown
> on behalf of the openSUSE Board

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Anton Aylward-2
On 22/04/17 09:27 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

> Richard Brown composed on 2017-04-22 13:37 (UTC+0200):
>
>> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
>> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
>> be:
>
>> openSUSE Leap 15
>
> :-(
>
> I get why 15, so won't try to argue against it even though I don't like it.

So we had 12.x ... 13.x and in reality 42 was 14.  Now we're back on sequence
with 15.x.   Yes, I get it.  What's after that?  "Fish 77"?

> What I don't get is why to keep the Leap part.

Oh, that was easy, it was a leap from 13, over a whole pile of other numbers,
couple of decades worth.  "Bound" had other connotations, but has the same basic
meaning.  "Spring Jump" might seem, well, seasonal.  So we leaper from 13 all
the way to 42 in a single bound.

Now we're regressing, again in a single bound.

Make perfect sense, doesn't it?

> If I had my druthers, next would be Opensuse 1501, 1502, 1503, 1601, 1602, 1603,
> 1701, etc.; or 151, 152, 153, 161, 162, 163, 171, etc.

Yes, we should definitely stick with numbers.  Not animals, not cypto-dates, not
alliterations.  A nice, regular monotonic sequence.  Keep the mathematicians happy.

On 04/22/2017 04:16 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> On 22/04/17 09:27 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

>> If I had my druthers, next would be Opensuse 1501, 1502, 1503, 1601, 1602, 1603,
>> 1701, etc.; or 151, 152, 153, 161, 162, 163, 171, etc.
>
> Yes, we should definitely stick with numbers.  Not animals, not cypto-dates, not
> alliterations.  A nice, regular monotonic sequence.  Keep the mathematicians happy.

I agree, numbers are good enough as long as they are randomly ordered to
keep to our scheme consistent.

cu,
Rudi

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Marco Calistri-3
Il 22/04/2017 11:24, Rüdiger Meier ha scritto:

> On 04/22/2017 04:16 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
>> On 22/04/17 09:27 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> If I had my druthers, next would be Opensuse 1501, 1502, 1503, 1601,
>>> 1602, 1603,
>>> 1701, etc.; or 151, 152, 153, 161, 162, 163, 171, etc.
>>
>> Yes, we should definitely stick with numbers.  Not animals, not
>> cypto-dates, not
>> alliterations.  A nice, regular monotonic sequence.  Keep the
>> mathematicians happy.
>
> I agree, numbers are good enough as long as they are randomly ordered to
> keep to our scheme consistent.
>
> cu,
> Rudi

Sorry if I permitting myself to express my humble opinion among a bunch
of literally "Genius Developers" as many of you are, but why you don't
adopt similar names schemes as Windows does:

I.E.:  Windows 10 build(xxxx)

We will have in this way an "OpenSUSE Leap build
(what-you-prefer-to-put-in-here)" to track the update version of the
release.

Or, in the evenience that by naming the "Windows" word could raise some
irritations in this M.L., why you don't adopt the Tumbleweed simpler
scheme of release naming also for Leap?

marco@linux-turion64:~> cat /etc/os-release

NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
# VERSION="20170419"
ID=opensuse
ID_LIKE="suse"
VERSION_ID="20170419"

So we will get "OpenSUSE Leap version 201704"

Then since I have understood that Lap has a cycle-of-life of three
years, the next Leap would be:

"OpenSUSE Leap version 202004"

:-)

Have a nice week-end!

--
Marco Calistri
Opensuse Tumbleweed 64 bit Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4
Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�

Il 22/04/2017 14:47, Rüdiger Meier ha scritto:

> On 04/22/2017 01:37 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
>> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
>> be:
>>
>> openSUSE Leap 15
>
> What have you been smoking? Remove at least the useless "Leap" substring
> again to make clear that introducing 42.x was also just a big mistake.
>
> All your explanations about "why 15" are completely useless. The only
> nondebatable sense of version numbers is that there are ordered. It's
> not possible to justify randomly ordered version numbers.
>
> cu,
> Rudi
+1
15, at this point, is worst then 42.
We cannot change things because someone wake up with "wonderful" ideas
in mind.
Daniele.

P.S. I'll keep the discussion in @factory because there are more
interessed users..

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Daniele <[hidden email]> [04-22-17 11:27]:

> Il 22/04/2017 14:47, Rüdiger Meier ha scritto:
> >On 04/22/2017 01:37 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> >>pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> >>be:
> >>
> >>openSUSE Leap 15
> >
> >What have you been smoking? Remove at least the useless "Leap" substring
> >again to make clear that introducing 42.x was also just a big mistake.
> >
> >All your explanations about "why 15" are completely useless. The only
> >nondebatable sense of version numbers is that there are ordered. It's
> >not possible to justify randomly ordered version numbers.
> >
> >cu,
> >Rudi
> +1
> 15, at this point, is worst then 42.
> We cannot change things because someone wake up with "wonderful" ideas in
> mind.

next openSUSE will be OPENsuse :)

> P.S. I'll keep the discussion in @factory because there are more interessed
> users..

not really the place, s/b opensuse.  factory is to tech help/conversation

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Dieter Werner
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 11:54:21 -0400
Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> > 15, at this point, is worst then 42.
> > We cannot change things because someone wake up with "wonderful"
> > ideas in mind.
>
> next openSUSE will be OPENsuse :)

you beat me, I was Just about to propose
openSUSE lEap 15 :-)

regards,
        Dieter

On 2017-04-22 15:27, Felix Miata wrote:

> Richard Brown composed on 2017-04-22 13:37 (UTC+0200):
>
>> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
>> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
>> be:
>
>> openSUSE Leap 15
>
> :-(
>
> I get why 15, so won't try to argue against it even though I don't like it.
I see the reasoning, but... :-?
I'm flabbergasted.
I don't know what to say. I'll better shutup ;-)

(my neighbours heard a loud WHAAT!?)  X'-)

On 2017-04-22 16:58, Marco Calistri wrote:
> So we will get "OpenSUSE Leap version 201704"

Oh, it was one of the proposals we voted for years ago, without the leap
part. It did not win, we selected the traditional X.Y, where Y would be
1,2,3, with the exception of 11.4 for I don't remember what reason.

Re: openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Karl Sinn

> What I don't get is why to keep the Leap part. I didn't like it before, but will
> like it less, with the reason for it effectively lost on going down from 42 to
> 15. I won't type or speak the superfluous term, just as I already don't.

+1 for leaving the "leap" away.
It's one word to much and it gives no additional information to the
version number.

Karl

Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

Mathias Homann-2
On Samstag, 22. April 2017 13:45:22 CEST Daniele wrote:

> Il 22/04/2017 13:37, Richard Brown ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> > pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> > be:
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15
>
> 15 ? Seriously ?
> So absurd that is hard to debate...
>
> Daniele.

How about openSUSE Leap $(sha256sum $ISOIMAGEFILENAME) :-(

On Samstag, 22. April 2017 14:53:40 CEST ianseeks wrote:

> On Saturday, 22 April 2017 12:37:48 BST Richard Brown wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
> > pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
> > be:
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15
>
> Oh dear.... This continual rebranding, renumbering and renaming only causes
> confusion, it looks like no-one knows what they are doing especially after
> the big-sell of Leap and 42.
> The same happened with the  rebranding of KDE5 to Plasma when everyone
> expects common sense to continue with KDE5 as its got so much history and
> its logical to go from KDE4 to KDE5.

my wife was just looking over my shoulder.... her comment: "If they can't even
consistent about the version number scheme, what about the software?"

Am 22.04.2017 um 22:38 schrieb Mathias Homann:

> On Samstag, 22. April 2017 13:45:22 CEST Daniele wrote:
>> Il 22/04/2017 13:37, Richard Brown ha scritto:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> On behalf of the openSUSE Board and Leap Release Management I am
>>> pleased to announce the next version of openSUSE Leap after 42.3 will
>>> be:
>>>
>>> openSUSE Leap 15
>>
>> 15 ? Seriously ?
>> So absurd that is hard to debate...
>>
>> Daniele.
>
> How about openSUSE Leap $(sha256sum $ISOIMAGEFILENAME) :-(

Can I get a version with my name?? :D

Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Leap's Next Major Version Number

James Knott
On 04/22/2017 04:50 PM, Karl Sinn wrote:
> Can I get a version with my name?? :D

Sure.  Just change your name to "openSUSE".  ;)

1234 ... 9