openSUSE Leap 42.1 is RELEASED

Richard Brown
The wait is over and a new era begins for openSUSE releases.
Contributors, friends and fans can now download the first Linux hybrid
distro openSUSE Leap 42.1. Since the last release, exactly one year
ago, openSUSE transformed its development process to create an
entirely new type of hybrid Linux distribution called openSUSE Leap.

Version 42.1 is the first version of openSUSE Leap that uses source
from SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) providing a level of stability that
will prove to be unmatched by other Linux distributions. Bonding
community development and enterprise reliability provides more
cohesion for the project and its contributor’s maintenance updates.
openSUSE Leap will benefit from the enterprise maintenance effort and
will have some of the same packages and updates as SLE, which is
different from previous openSUSE versions that created separate
maintenance streams.

Community developers provide an equal level of contribution to Leap
and upstream projects to the release, which bridges a gap between
matured packages and newer packages found in openSUSE’s other
distribution Tumbleweed.

Since the move was such a shift from previous versions, a new version
number and version naming strategy was adapted to reflect the change.
The SLE sources come from SUSE’s soon to be released SLE 12 Service
Pack 1 (SP1). The naming strategy is SLE 12 SP1 or 12.1 + 30 =
openSUSE Leap 42.1. Many have asked why 42, but SUSE and openSUSE have
a tradition of starting big ideas with a four and two, a reference to
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Every minor version of openSUSE Leap users can expect a new KDE and
GNOME, but today is all about openSUSE Leap 42.1, so if you are tired
of a brown desktop, try a green one.

Thank You to everyone who helped make this big Leap a success

Have a lot of fun, and get thinking about how we can make Leap 42.2
even better :)

Regards,

Richard Brown
openSUSE Board Chairman

Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Leap 42.1 is RELEASED

Basil Chupin-2
On 05/11/15 03:29, Richard Brown wrote:
> The wait is over and a new era begins for openSUSE releases.
> Contributors, friends and fans can now download the first Linux hybrid
> distro openSUSE Leap 42.1. Since the last release, exactly one year
> ago, openSUSE transformed its development process to create an
> entirely new type of hybrid Linux distribution called openSUSE Leap.
>
> Version 42.1 is the first version of openSUSE Leap that uses source
> from SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) providing a level of stability that
> will prove to be unmatched by other Linux distributions.

[rest pruned]

Right, so it has now been released into the wilds of the IT jungle.

But I do note that the announcement wasn't even sent to the 'main'
openSUSE list called [hidden email] where every man and his dog
go to find information.

There is also mention of Tumbleweed - which raises another good
question: will Tumbelweed ever come out of the closet and be given the
proper respect it deserves or will it be still only be whispered about
in the mystic land called FACTORY and the only time 'we' will hear about
TW is when an announcement is made that a new "snapshot" - worth 4.4GB
of data - has been released? (Mention Tumbleweed in HELP and you will
get a clip behind the ear from Patrick - or will this now change? :-) .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Leap 42.1 is RELEASED

Ken Schneider - Factory
On 11/08/2015 07:12 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 06/11/15 00:02, Marcus Meissner wrote:

>>> [rest pruned]
>>>

>>> Right, so it has now been released into the wilds of the IT jungle.
>>>
>>> But I do note that the announcement wasn't even sent to the 'main'
>>> openSUSE list called [hidden email] where every man and his
>>> dog go to find information.
>>>
>>> There is also mention of Tumbleweed - which raises another good
>>> question: will Tumbelweed ever come out of the closet and be given
>>> the proper respect it deserves or will it be still only be whispered
>>> about in the mystic land called FACTORY and the only time 'we' will
>>> hear about TW is when an announcement is made that a new "snapshot"
>>> - worth 4.4GB of data - has been released? (Mention Tumbleweed in
>>> HELP and you will get a clip behind the ear from Patrick - or will
>>> this now change? :-) .)
>> Tumbleweed is a rolling release and so ... there will not be
>> huge leaps for Tumbleweed, just continuous rolling ;)
>
> Just like that great song, "Ol' Man River, He just keeps on rollin'
> alon' .....".

Only a fool would continue to download the entire DVD for every release,
are you the fool BC? That's what zypper dup is for!

>> And it is not 4GB of data every snapshot, its way less.

Exactly. Just this morning I upgraded TW and only needed to download 142
packages included a couple dozen from packman. Far, far less then the
4.4G you suggest.

>> Ciao, Marcus
>>

> BC

Please Basil, stop all of the negativity you are spouting on the lists,
I believe many on the lists are getting very tired of it. With all of
the problems you are reporting the main problem is starting to look like
it lies somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998