openSUSE 9.1 query

Roger Oberholtzer
Hello

I have a colleague who asked me the following:

"I have an old SuSE 9.1 CD. I'd like to boot from it, into KDE. It has a
variety of install options but I /assume/ that's not what I want, but
that I want to run the Rescue disk and then, when it comes up in a
terminal, somehow start KDE?"

I suggested 'startx'. But that did not work. Anyone out there have a
long memory? The machine is on another continent, so I cannot easily go
see what might work..

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

Re: openSUSE 9.1 query

Mike-207
On Friday 18 March 2011, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> Hello
>

> I have a colleague who asked me the following:
>
> "I have an old SuSE 9.1 CD. I'd like to boot from it, into KDE. It
> has a variety of install options but I /assume/ that's not what I
> want, but that I want to run the Rescue disk and then, when it comes
> up in a terminal, somehow start KDE?"
>
> I suggested 'startx'. But that did not work. Anyone out there have a
> long memory? The machine is on another continent, so I cannot easily
> go see what might work..

Unfortunately you can't start kde from the rescue. It only provides a
minimal run for repair purposes. You would need to do in install to get
the graphics interface.

Mike

--
Powered by SuSE 11.0 Kernel 2.6.25  KDE 3.5 Kmail 1.9
  2:12pm  up   5:17,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.21, 0.36

Re: openSUSE 9.1 query

Jim Henderson-4
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:52:39 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> "I have an old SuSE 9.1 CD. I'd like to boot from it, into KDE. It has a
> variety of install options but I /assume/ that's not what I want, but
> that I want to run the Rescue disk and then, when it comes up in a
> terminal, somehow start KDE?"

What he wants is a LiveCD, but that wasn't included until later releases.

You (or he) can post a question on the openSUSE forums for more info.
http://forums.opensuse.org . :-)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: openSUSE 9.1 query

Jim Henderson-4
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:13:20 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:52:39 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
>> "I have an old SuSE 9.1 CD. I'd like to boot from it, into KDE. It has
>> a variety of install options but I /assume/ that's not what I want, but
>> that I want to run the Rescue disk and then, when it comes up in a
>> terminal, somehow start KDE?"
>
> What he wants is a LiveCD, but that wasn't included until later
> releases.
>
> You (or he) can post a question on the openSUSE forums for more info.
> http://forums.opensuse.org . :-)
>
> Jim

Oh, crap - sorry, folks, I thought I was in a different place when I read
these two messages.  That'll teach me to get up so early in the
morning. ;-)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: openSUSE 9.1 query

Larry Stotler
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a colleague who asked me the following:
> "I have an old SuSE 9.1 CD. I'd like to boot from it, into KDE. It has a
> variety of install options but I /assume/ that's not what I want, but
> that I want to run the Rescue disk and then, when it comes up in a
> terminal, somehow start KDE?"
> I suggested 'startx'. But that did not work. Anyone out there have a
> long memory? The machine is on another continent, so I cannot easily go
> see what might work..

A LONG time ago, IIRC, I had a 9.1 or 9.2 DVD from a magazine that was
a Live version of S.u.S.E.  I can't recall which one it came from and
and probably don't have it anymore.

Here's a link to a 9.3 LiveDVD:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/discontinued/i386/9.3/iso/SUSE-9.3-Eval-DVD.iso

Good luck