nvidia repo/driver question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

nvidia repo/driver question

Bob S-5
Hello SuSE people,

Running 11.0 and KDE3.

My video card died and I went out and bought a new GeForce 8400 GS and
installed it. Now I need a new driver and I don't have the nvidia repo
installed. Went out and found the repo in the "other" Suse repo list and
tried to install it in Yast and it wouldn't accept it.

Anybody kind enough to give me the correct URL?

So, I then went amd found the "one click" and installed what I thought was the
right driver. Evidently not. After restarting X i emded up on the Konsole
command line and i had to xorg.conf and change "nvidia" to "nv" to get my
screen back again.

Anybody know what the correct driver is for that card?

Thanks

Bob S
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Juan De Vincenzo
For some reason I initially replied only to you, so here it goes again.

Are you running the 32bit or 64bit version of opensuse?

I just moved my main desktop machine to opensuse this past weekend and
I had to install the nvidia drivers as well, so the steps are kind of
fresh on my head. Just a sidenote, these are the steps to do it "the
hard way", which will require to reinstall the drivers after each
kernel update.

1.- sudo /sbin/init 3
2.- Ensure that you have installed on your system make, gcc and the
kernel-source packages.
3.- If you have to install the kernel sources, I would recommend
upgrading the kernel as well, so the kernel version and kernel source
version match (at least that's how I did it, but it's a fresh system
install, not sure what are your preferences in regards to the kernel).
If the versions don't match, the nvidia installer will not install.
4.- Download this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_185.18.14.html -->
32bit architecture
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_185.18.14.html
-->64bit architecture

5.- As root: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86[package_name].run -q
Proceed with the installation, which is pretty straight forward.

6.- Sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

Hope this helps.
Juan

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Bob S<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello SuSE people,
>
> Running 11.0 and KDE3.
>
> My video card died and I went out and bought a new GeForce 8400 GS and
> installed it. Now I need a new driver and I don't have the nvidia repo
> installed. Went out and found the repo in the "other" Suse repo list and
> tried to install it in Yast and it wouldn't accept it.
>
> Anybody kind enough to give me the correct URL?
>
> So, I then went amd found the "one click" and installed what I thought was the
> right driver. Evidently not. After restarting X i emded up on the Konsole
> command line and i had to xorg.conf and change "nvidia" to "nv" to get my
> screen back again.
>
> Anybody know what the correct driver is for that card?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob S
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Bob S-5
On Tuesday 28 July 2009 22:44:58 Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> For some reason I initially replied only to you, so here it goes again.
>
> Are you running the 32bit or 64bit version of opensuse?
>
> I just moved my main desktop machine to opensuse this past weekend and
> I had to install the nvidia drivers as well, so the steps are kind of
> fresh on my head. Just a sidenote, these are the steps to do it "the
> hard way", which will require to reinstall the drivers after each
> kernel update.
>
> 1.- sudo /sbin/init 3
> 2.- Ensure that you have installed on your system make, gcc and the
> kernel-source packages.
> 3.- If you have to install the kernel sources, I would recommend
> upgrading the kernel as well, so the kernel version and kernel source
> version match (at least that's how I did it, but it's a fresh system
> install, not sure what are your preferences in regards to the kernel).
> If the versions don't match, the nvidia installer will not install.
> 4.- Download this driver:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_185.18.14.html -->
> 32bit architecture
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_185.18.14.html
> -->64bit architecture
>
> 5.- As root: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86[package_name].run -q
> Proceed with the installation, which is pretty straight forward.
>
> 6.- Sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
>
> Hope this helps.

Juan,

Thank you for your time and effort and very complete answer.
I am familiar with the "hard way" and the "easy way" Did the "hard way' back
in 10.2 and it was a PITA everytime the kernel was upgraded. Ijust want to
keep it simple. All I really wanted was someone to verify for me the correct
URL for the nvidia repo (which is not correct in the openSUSE "other" repos)
and that I had installed the correct driver for the card with the "one click"
install which did not work. I suppose if nobody answers I will have to go
back to the "hard" way.

SuSE 11.0 - KDE3.5 - 64 bit - GeForce 8400 GS

Bob S
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Dave Plater
Bob S wrote:

> Thank you for your time and effort and very complete answer.
> I am familiar with the "hard way" and the "easy way" Did the "hard way' back
> in 10.2 and it was a PITA everytime the kernel was upgraded. Ijust want to
> keep it simple. All I really wanted was someone to verify for me the correct
> URL for the nvidia repo (which is not correct in the openSUSE "other" repos)
> and that I had installed the correct driver for the card with the "one click"
> install which did not work. I suppose if nobody answers I will have to go
> back to the "hard" way.
>
> SuSE 11.0 - KDE3.5 - 64 bit - GeForce 8400 GS
>
> Bob S
>  
Unfortunately I am not on 11.0 (running factory) and I only have a 6200
TC but the repo you need is http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0
which I have just loaded, the correct driver will most probably be
nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default which should also pull in the
x11-video-nvidiaG02 as well. The only thing that could cause a problem
would be if either the nvidia or os repos are not 100% up to date and
the available kernel and the driver don't match.
Regards
Dave P
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Bob S-5
On Thursday 30 July 2009 01:06:17 Dave Plater wrote:

> Bob S wrote:
> > Thank you for your time and effort and very complete answer.
> > I am familiar with the "hard way" and the "easy way" Did the "hard way'
> > back in 10.2 and it was a PITA everytime the kernel was upgraded. Ijust
> > want to keep it simple. All I really wanted was someone to verify for me
> > the correct URL for the nvidia repo (which is not correct in the openSUSE
> > "other" repos) and that I had installed the correct driver for the card
> > with the "one click" install which did not work. I suppose if nobody
> > answers I will have to go back to the "hard" way.
> >
> > SuSE 11.0 - KDE3.5 - 64 bit - GeForce 8400 GS
> >
> > Bob S
>
> Unfortunately I am not on 11.0 (running factory) and I only have a 6200
> TC but the repo you need is http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0
> which I have just loaded, the correct driver will most probably be
> nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default which should also pull in the
> x11-video-nvidiaG02 as well. The only thing that could cause a problem
> would be if either the nvidia or os repos are not 100% up to date and
> the available kernel and the driver don't match.

Thank you so much Dave

Bob S
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Bob S-5
In reply to this post by Bob S-5
On Thursday 30 July 2009 13:37:31 Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Bob S<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you for your time and effort and very complete answer.
>
> Your welcome. =)
>
> > I am familiar with the "hard way" and the "easy way" Did the "hard way'
> > back in 10.2 and it was a PITA everytime the kernel was upgraded. Ijust
> > want to keep it simple.
>
> Well, honestly, coming from Slackware as I do (I started with OpenSUSE
> just a week ago), for me that hard way is the easy way, I don't know,
> re-installing after certain updates just makes sense for me, I guess I
> need to learn the suse way now. ;)
>
Juan,

Oh, I used to compile all kinds of garbage back in the RedHat days. Got tired
of it. Curious, What brings you to SuSE from Slack?

Hang around here. Sounds like you may be a pretty valuable guy.

Bob S
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nvidia repo/driver question

Juan De Vincenzo
>Oh, I used to compile all kinds of garbage back in the RedHat days. Got tired
>of it. Curious, What brings you to SuSE from Slack?

Two weeks ago I thought I'd use my older machine (a Pentium III -
192Mb RAM) to try some other distros besides Slackware. For some
reason, maybe because they're among the most popular, I decided the
first try would be for Debian and OpenSUSE. Didn't really like Debian,
or at least didn't find it that different from Slack, at least from an
installer point of view (actually, Slack is a little bit more straight
forward in my opinion), but OpenSUSE was really a big change, so I
started playing around with it and within a day, I installed three
times on the same partition, since for some reason for me, installing
a distro is a way to get to know it better. And I really liked it so
much, I started researching and found the strong community effort
behind and around it, second big difference from Slackware, that has a
closed team of devs. So, three days later I migrated my main hardware
to OpenSUSE (AMD Athlon 64 x2 +3800 - 1Gb RAM - GeForce 7900 GT).
Slackware is a great distro and I'm not leaving it completly, since
I'm planning to mount a server based on it, plus, it was my first real
Linux experience, but I feel like openSUSE gives me a more complete
desktop experience, or put some other way, is closer to what I'm
looking for at the moment.

>Hang around here. Sounds like you may be a pretty valuable guy.

Thanks a lot for those words, I really appreciate it. I'll be
definitelly hanging around here. =)

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Bob S<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 30 July 2009 13:37:31 Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Bob S<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thank you for your time and effort and very complete answer.
>>
>> Your welcome. =)
>>
>> > I am familiar with the "hard way" and the "easy way" Did the "hard way'
>> > back in 10.2 and it was a PITA everytime the kernel was upgraded. Ijust
>> > want to keep it simple.
>>
>> Well, honestly, coming from Slackware as I do (I started with OpenSUSE
>> just a week ago), for me that hard way is the easy way, I don't know,
>> re-installing after certain updates just makes sense for me, I guess I
>> need to learn the suse way now. ;)
>>
> Juan,
>
> Oh, I used to compile all kinds of garbage back in the RedHat days. Got tired
> of it. Curious, What brings you to SuSE from Slack?
>
> Hang around here. Sounds like you may be a pretty valuable guy.
>
> Bob S
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]