nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

Werner Flamme
Hi,

I'm wondering why I don't get the combination of kernel 4.13 and the
proprietary nVidia driver to work.

I also have installed a 4.12 kernel from that obs repo, and the nvidia
installer runs nicely and everything works fine.

When booting into a kernel 4.13, I only have a flickering startup screen
- there is no graphical display, but the system obviously tries to show
it, falls back to the command line, tries graphical mode again and so
on. The switching is so fast that I can't even use Strg-Alt-F3 to enter
a console... Only rebooting into a kernel 4.12 helps.

What am I missing?

Last thing I did was setting the default runlevel to "multi-user"
instead of "graphical". I'll try to get useful messages at least.
Currently I can only presume that kernel 4.13 handles the hardware in an
way that is incompatible to the way 4.12 does, but I have no clue how to
get around this.

Next thing is that I'm going to (re-)install the nvidia driver when
running a 4.13 in text mode.

Anyone here who can help me, please? What should I look for?

Werner

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Werner Flamme <[hidden email]> [10-20-17 03:31]:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why I don't get the combination of kernel 4.13 and the
> proprietary nVidia driver to work.
>
> I also have installed a 4.12 kernel from that obs repo, and the nvidia
> installer runs nicely and everything works fine.
>
> When booting into a kernel 4.13, I only have a flickering startup screen
> - there is no graphical display, but the system obviously tries to show
> it, falls back to the command line, tries graphical mode again and so
> on. The switching is so fast that I can't even use Strg-Alt-F3 to enter
> a console... Only rebooting into a kernel 4.12 helps.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Last thing I did was setting the default runlevel to "multi-user"
> instead of "graphical". I'll try to get useful messages at least.
> Currently I can only presume that kernel 4.13 handles the hardware in an
> way that is incompatible to the way 4.12 does, but I have no clue how to
> get around this.
>
> Next thing is that I'm going to (re-)install the nvidia driver when
> running a 4.13 in text mode.
>
> Anyone here who can help me, please? What should I look for?

I use NVidia's "run" packagevia
  sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.12.run -aqs --install-libglvnd

Crash] openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171018
Linux 4.13.6-1-default x86_64
12-thr Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 3193MHz
Load: 0.14 Tasks: 1028
Mem: 16310/36192MB
Disk: 1590/10839GB
Gfx: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] @ 3840x1080

remembering to reinstall the driver whenever a mesa or xorg package is
upgraded or reinstalled.

and have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Re: nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

Werner Flamme
Patrick Shanahan [20.10.2017 13:21]:

> * Werner Flamme <[hidden email]> [10-20-17 03:31]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering why I don't get the combination of kernel 4.13 and the
>> proprietary nVidia driver to work.
>>
>> I also have installed a 4.12 kernel from that obs repo, and the nvidia
>> installer runs nicely and everything works fine.
>>
>> When booting into a kernel 4.13, I only have a flickering startup screen
>> - there is no graphical display, but the system obviously tries to show
>> it, falls back to the command line, tries graphical mode again and so
>> on. The switching is so fast that I can't even use Strg-Alt-F3 to enter
>> a console... Only rebooting into a kernel 4.12 helps.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Last thing I did was setting the default runlevel to "multi-user"
>> instead of "graphical". I'll try to get useful messages at least.
>> Currently I can only presume that kernel 4.13 handles the hardware in an
>> way that is incompatible to the way 4.12 does, but I have no clue how to
>> get around this.
>>
>> Next thing is that I'm going to (re-)install the nvidia driver when
>> running a 4.13 in text mode.
>>
>> Anyone here who can help me, please? What should I look for?
>
> I use NVidia's "run" packagevia
>   sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.12.run -aqs --install-libglvnd
>
> Crash] openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171018
> Linux 4.13.6-1-default x86_64
> 12-thr Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 3193MHz
> Load: 0.14 Tasks: 1028
> Mem: 16310/36192MB
> Disk: 1590/10839GB
> Gfx: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] @ 3840x1080
>
> remembering to reinstall the driver whenever a mesa or xorg package is
> upgraded or reinstalled.
>
> and have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Patrick, thanks, I'm using this package as well, but I called it without
parameters. I'll try it with those.

I'd love to use the TW drivers from the repo (announced by Stefan in
August), but since I still have a Leap 42.3 with only the newer kernel,
I'm stuck between the worlds... The TW package does not run for me,
there was (and is) some hassle with Mesa.

Werner

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

Ivan Linty
Hi

I suspect that kernel 4.12 e 4.13. has big problems with graphics subsystem!
My system opensuse tumbleweed after kernel update presents sudden
randomly complete system crash! The only solution is hard reboot! My
gpu in Intel i915. A fix is to disable hardware accelleration and
another fix is to revert to kernel 4.9.
I have found threads also in arch mailing list about that, but for now
there isn't solution: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55629
So I suggest you to revert to kernel 4.9 (I have installed kernel-pf)

Kind Regards

> Patrick Shanahan [20.10.2017 13:21]:
>> * Werner Flamme <[hidden email]> [10-20-17 03:31]:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering why I don't get the combination of kernel 4.13 and the
>>> proprietary nVidia driver to work.
>>>
>>> I also have installed a 4.12 kernel from that obs repo, and the nvidia
>>> installer runs nicely and everything works fine.
>>>
>>> When booting into a kernel 4.13, I only have a flickering startup screen
>>> - there is no graphical display, but the system obviously tries to show
>>> it, falls back to the command line, tries graphical mode again and so
>>> on. The switching is so fast that I can't even use Strg-Alt-F3 to enter
>>> a console... Only rebooting into a kernel 4.12 helps.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Last thing I did was setting the default runlevel to "multi-user"
>>> instead of "graphical". I'll try to get useful messages at least.
>>> Currently I can only presume that kernel 4.13 handles the hardware in an
>>> way that is incompatible to the way 4.12 does, but I have no clue how to
>>> get around this.
>>>
>>> Next thing is that I'm going to (re-)install the nvidia driver when
>>> running a 4.13 in text mode.
>>>
>>> Anyone here who can help me, please? What should I look for?
>>
>> I use NVidia's "run" packagevia
>>   sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.12.run -aqs --install-libglvnd
>>
>> Crash] openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171018
>> Linux 4.13.6-1-default x86_64
>> 12-thr Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 3193MHz
>> Load: 0.14 Tasks: 1028
>> Mem: 16310/36192MB
>> Disk: 1590/10839GB
>> Gfx: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] @ 3840x1080
>>
>> remembering to reinstall the driver whenever a mesa or xorg package is
>> upgraded or reinstalled.
>>
>> and have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>

> Patrick, thanks, I'm using this package as well, but I called it without
> parameters. I'll try it with those.
>
> I'd love to use the TW drivers from the repo (announced by Stefan in
> August), but since I still have a Leap 42.3 with only the newer kernel,
> I'm stuck between the worlds... The TW package does not run for me,
> there was (and is) some hassle with Mesa.
>
> Werner

Re: nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard

Werner Flamme
Ivan,

thanks for your help, but I have no problems using kernel 4.12. Only the
4.13 kernels do bad things with my host ;)

Werner

Ivan Linty [20.10.2017 14:40]:

--

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment