not possible to delete a user ?

Günther J. Niederwimmer
Hello,

when I start the system with init 3 and like to delete / recreate the 1.User
(1000) with YaST2, I can't ? (change / test LDAP)

YaST2 tell me, user is logged in ?

Is this know,  or -> bugreport ;)
--
mit freundlichen Grüssen / best Regards

 Günther J. Niederwimmer

Re: not possible to delete a user ?

Jiri Suchomel
On Saturday 09 June 2007 08:56, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I start the system with init 3 and like to delete / recreate the
> 1.User (1000) with YaST2, I can't ? (change / test LDAP)
>
> YaST2 tell me, user is logged in ?
>
> Is this know,  or -> bugreport ;)

If the user is logged, YaST refuses to delete it. This is intended.
However if the user you wanted to delete actually was _not_ logged in, please
file a bug report.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                            e-mail: [hidden email]
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 960
190 00 Praha 9, Czech Republic                http://www.suse.cz

Re: not possible to delete a user ?

Volker Kuhlmann-5
On Mon 11 Jun 2007 17:41:36 NZST +1200, Ji??í Suchomel wrote:

> If the user is logged, YaST refuses to delete it. This is intended.
> However if the user you wanted to delete actually was _not_ logged in, please
> file a bug report.

I have seen something similar on 10.2, probably 10.1 and further back I
can't remember. I have a script to create and delete users in a hurry,
incl getting rid of their KDE and other temp stuff. When I log in as
that user on another X11 console, log out and immediately delete the
user, there is frequently a failure with userdel refusing to do anything
much. There is no further process running owned by that user. The state
is irrecoverable other than by reboot, or at least some overnight wait.
I don't know whether this is even expected behaviour or how to reproduce
it reliably, so I didn't write a bug report.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/        Please do not CC list postings to me.

On Monday 11 June 2007 12:19, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> On Mon 11 Jun 2007 17:41:36 NZST +1200, Ji??í Suchomel wrote:
> > If the user is logged, YaST refuses to delete it. This is intended.
> > However if the user you wanted to delete actually was _not_ logged in,
> > please file a bug report.
>
> I have seen something similar on 10.2, probably 10.1 and further back I
> can't remember. I have a script to create and delete users in a hurry,
> incl getting rid of their KDE and other temp stuff. When I log in as
> that user on another X11 console, log out and immediately delete the
> user, there is frequently a failure with userdel refusing to do anything
> much. There is no further process running owned by that user. The state
> is irrecoverable other than by reboot, or at least some overnight wait.
> I don't know whether this is even expected behaviour or how to reproduce
> it reliably, so I didn't write a bug report.

I don't know about userdel, but YaST uses "ps --no-headers -u <username>" to
do the check.

> Volker

Jiri
--
Jiri Suchomel

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                            e-mail: [hidden email]
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 960
190 00 Praha 9, Czech Republic                http://www.suse.cz

Re: not possible to delete a user ?

vetter
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Jiří Suchomel wrote:

> On Monday 11 June 2007 12:19, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > On Mon 11 Jun 2007 17:41:36 NZST +1200, Ji??í Suchomel wrote:
> > > If the user is logged, YaST refuses to delete it. This is intended.
> > > However if the user you wanted to delete actually was _not_ logged in,
> > > please file a bug report.
> >
> > I have seen something similar on 10.2, probably 10.1 and further back I
> > can't remember. I have a script to create and delete users in a hurry,
> > incl getting rid of their KDE and other temp stuff. When I log in as
> > that user on another X11 console, log out and immediately delete the
> > user, there is frequently a failure with userdel refusing to do anything
> > much. There is no further process running owned by that user. The state
> > is irrecoverable other than by reboot, or at least some overnight wait.
> > I don't know whether this is even expected behaviour or how to reproduce
> > it reliably, so I didn't write a bug report.
>
> I don't know about userdel, but YaST uses "ps --no-headers -u <username>" to
> do the check.
Very often KDE logins leave processes after a clean logout. Usually they
are artsd and dbus-daemon-1, when the user had a firefox also gconfd-2.

I have a script, that kills all processes of a not logged in user:
kded kdeinit dcopserver artsd kmix kamix klipper kicker skim kio_file
kpowersave kwin kwrapper kdesktop suseplugger konqueror knotify
scim-launcher gconfd-2 uim-helper-server dbus-daemon-1 esd susewatcher
Mathematica gpg-agent gnome-vfs-daemon dbus-daemon
bonobo-activation-server evolution-data-server-1.8

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Vetter