no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey

no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey

kanenas
This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I googled for
that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently  alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found by dmesg.
vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net just
dies.
system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an asus p5b,
integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400 dual core thing.
the driver is : hda-intel.
all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
any suggestions?
tia,
d.

Re: no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey

Petr Cerny
[hidden email] wrote:

> This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I googled for
> that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
> that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
> as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently  alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
> and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found by dmesg.
> vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net just
> dies.
> system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an asus p5b,
> integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400 dual core thing.
> the driver is : hda-intel.
> all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
> any suggestions?

I suppose you are talking about flash animations inability to produce
any sound? This is very likely an issue of Adobe Flashplayer running in
nspluginwrapper. You may try to downgrade either (or both) of them - it
was working once in a not-so-distant-past.

Best regards
        Petr

Re: no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey

Ed McCanless
[hidden email] wrote:

> This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I googled for
> that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
> that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
> as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently  alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
> and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found by dmesg.
> vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net just
> dies.
> system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an asus p5b,
> integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400 dual core thing.
> the driver is : hda-intel.
> all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
> any suggestions?
> tia,
> d.

I'm experiencing similar problems, here. Thought it might have something
to do with installation of avidemux, but also ran updates the same day.
I will be watching for help, too.

                            -ED-

Re: no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Ed McCanless pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I googled for
>> that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
>> that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
>> as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently  alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
>> and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found by dmesg.
>> vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net just
>> dies.
>> system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an asus p5b,
>> integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400 dual core thing.
>> the driver is : hda-intel.
>> all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
>> any suggestions?
>> tia,
>> d.
>>

> I'm experiencing similar problems, here. Thought it might have something
> to do with installation of avidemux, but also ran updates the same day.
> I will be watching for help, too.
>
>                             -ED-

I doubt it has anything to do with avidemux as I have been using
avidemux and have no problems with sound when playing video from files
or the internet.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Petr Cerny wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I
>> googled for that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
>> that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently
>> 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
>> as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently
>> alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
>> and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found
>> by dmesg.
>> vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net
>> just dies.
>> system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an
>> asus p5b, integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400
>> dual core thing. the driver is : hda-intel.
>> all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
>> any suggestions?
>
> I suppose you are talking about flash animations inability to produce
> any sound? This is very likely an issue of Adobe Flashplayer running in
> nspluginwrapper. You may try to downgrade either (or both) of them - it
> was working once in a not-so-distant-past.

You may want to try packages from our nspluginwrapper maintainer,
available at http://pack.suse.cz/sbrabec/bug350752/ (though you may need
to compile it from source package using rpmbuild). However, this update
breaks filling in forms in pdf plugin (or something) so you are very
likely to encounter other problems.

Best regards
        Petr

Re: no sound in firefox/konq/opera/seamonkey-SOLVED

kanenas
On Thursday 20 March 2008 05:20:49 am Petr Cerny wrote:

> Petr Cerny wrote:
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> >> This is a new one for me. I lost sound - only in web browsers! I
> >> googled for that, saw a number of strange cures, tried them, no joy.
> >> that's on the two latest versions of kernel, presently
> >> 2.6.22.17-0.1-default,
> >> as well as the last 3 alsa versions, currently
> >> alsa-1.0.16.hg20080311-1.1
> >> and of course the various permutations. no snd related entries found
> >> by dmesg.
> >> vlc, audio, all non internet apps work just fine, anything on the net
> >> just dies.
> >> system is a 64 bit 10.3 install, 3 something default kde, mobo is an
> >> asus p5b, integrated sound,  model 82801h (ICH8 Family), cpu is a 6400
> >> dual core thing. the driver is : hda-intel.
> >> all updates thru yast, from "community" repositories.
> >> any suggestions?
> >
> > I suppose you are talking about flash animations inability to produce
> > any sound? This is very likely an issue of Adobe Flashplayer running in
> > nspluginwrapper. You may try to downgrade either (or both) of them - it
> > was working once in a not-so-distant-past.
>
> You may want to try packages from our nspluginwrapper maintainer,
> available at http://pack.suse.cz/sbrabec/bug350752/ (though you may need
> to compile it from source package using rpmbuild). However, this update
> breaks filling in forms in pdf plugin (or something) so you are very
> likely to encounter other problems.
>
> Best regards
> Petr

I tried many a combo. even  a fresh install on my test partition. managed to
get konq & opera to sound off, but not firefox. then i installed ff 3 beta 4
and all is well:)
it was kind of disappointing to solve the problem the windows way, but the new
firefox was worth it. firefox 3 is incredible. and beta 4 should be called
stable imho, have not had a single ff crash and i do load about 20-30 tabs at
a time, often with repeated back and forth movements, things that did crash
in the past...
d.