mp3

James F. Pirtle
Hello List;

How do I get Amarok to play mp3 files?

Actually, I need to be able to download, play and copy to CD some mp3 files.
This is all for my wife's non-profit Clowning and puppet program.  We won't
be selling this stuff.

Using SuSE 10.3 (KDE) with AMD 64 chip.

Thanks in advance.

Re: mp3

Joe-274
James F Pirtle wrote:
> Hello List;
>
> How do I get Amarok to play mp3 files?
>
> Actually, I need to be able to download, play and copy to CD some mp3 files.
> This is all for my wife's non-profit Clowning and puppet program.  We won't
> be selling this stuff.
>
> Using SuSE 10.3 (KDE) with AMD 64 chip.

Hmm, I've always been able to play mp3s with amarok, kaffeine or
mplayer. Right off the top of my head, I'd guess you don't have the
codecs installed.

At least for the 3 bit version of suse, it all just works if the
multimedia stuff is all there. Suse does ship some mp3 libs, but most
people are happy with the multimedia stuff from packman.

Add the packman repo to your yast/zypper repositories, then install the
multimedia stuff including w32codecs and the packman version of amarok.

HTH,

Joe

Re: mp3

PerfectReign
On Sunday 02 March 2008 05:44:31 pm James F Pirtle wrote:
> Hello List;
>
> How do I get Amarok to play mp3 files?
>
> Actually, I need to be able to download, play and copy to CD some mp3
> files. This is all for my wife's non-profit Clowning and puppet program.
> We won't be selling this stuff.
>
> Using SuSE 10.3 (KDE) with AMD 64 chip.

What Joe said...

http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com

Re: mp3

jef peeraer-2
Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Sunday 02 March 2008 05:44:31 pm James F Pirtle wrote:
>> Hello List;
>>
>> How do I get Amarok to play mp3 files?
>>
>> Actually, I need to be able to download, play and copy to CD some mp3
>> files. This is all for my wife's non-profit Clowning and puppet program.
>> We won't be selling this stuff.
>>
>> Using SuSE 10.3 (KDE) with AMD 64 chip.
>
> What Joe said...
>
> http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
package requirements.
java-15-0-sun-plugin
no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
speex cannot be installed

jef

Re: mp3

PerfectReign
On Monday 03 March 2008 03:24:16 am jef peeraer wrote:

> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
> package requirements.
> java-15-0-sun-plugin
> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
> speex cannot be installed

No experience personally.

However, I've read that 64-bit is mostly for servers these days. There is no
32-bit Flash plugin, there's no 32-bit java plugin....

...from what I understand, you need the 32-bit versions of Firefox and the
multimedia tools.

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com

Re: mp3

Oddball
Kai Ponte schreef:

> On Monday 03 March 2008 03:24:16 am jef peeraer wrote:
>
>> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
>> package requirements.
>> java-15-0-sun-plugin
>> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
>> speex cannot be installed
>>

> No experience personally.
>
> However, I've read that 64-bit is mostly for servers these days. There is no
> 32-bit Flash plugin, there's no 32-bit java plugin....
>
> ...from what I understand, you need the 32-bit versions of Firefox and the
> multimedia tools.

For 10.3 there are flash 9 and IcedTea 1.7 java 64bit plugin.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball         (Now or never...)

  Besturingssysteem:  Linux 2.6.24.1-6-default x86_64
  Current user:  oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
  System:  openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha2
  KDE:  4.0.1 (KDE 4.0.1) "release 17"

Re: mp3

David Bolt-5
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Kai Ponte wrote:-

>On Monday 03 March 2008 03:24:16 am jef peeraer wrote:
>>
>> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
>> package requirements.
>> java-15-0-sun-plugin
>> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
>> speex cannot be installed
>
>No experience personally.
>
>However, I've read that 64-bit is mostly for servers these days.

That's not entirely accurate or, if it is, don't tell the 3 64bit
desktops I'm running, or the one my wife uses.

>There is no
>32-bit Flash plugin, there's no 32-bit java plugin....

ITYM no 64bit Flash or Java plugins. Strangely, my wife likes to visit a
couple of web sites that have a selection of Java games and puzzles, and
while Firefox complained about a missing plugin, Konqueror worked just
fine with 64bit Java package. Unfortunately, because she dual boots and
uses Firefox under XP, she keeps going for Firefox and then complaining
that the site doesn't work.

>...from what I understand, you need the 32-bit versions of Firefox

That's what I ended up doing to stop her complaints. I installed the
32bit version of Firefox and the 32bit version of Java and the Java
plugins and she's happy now.

>and the
>multimedia tools.

No need for that. I'm running the 64bit versions of Amarok, Kaffeine and
Xine on my 10.3 box, all from Packman, and there's no problem with them.
For video transcoding I use FFmpeg, making packages from the latest
sources in the FFmpeg SVN rather than using Packmans version. For MP3
encoding, I use Lame on the command line for WAV files, or grip for
ripping CDs.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
SUSE 10.1 32bit  | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

Re: mp3

PerfectReign
On Monday 03 March 2008 08:22:02 am David Bolt wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Kai Ponte wrote:-
>
> >On Monday 03 March 2008 03:24:16 am jef peeraer wrote:
> >> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
> >> package requirements.
> >> java-15-0-sun-plugin
> >> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
> >> speex cannot be installed
> >
> >No experience personally.
> >
> >However, I've read that 64-bit is mostly for servers these days.
>
> That's not entirely accurate or, if it is, don't tell the 3 64bit
> desktops I'm running, or the one my wife uses.

<snip>

That's good to read.

I have been holding back getting a 64-bit system for these reasons, but I see
you've broken trhough the majority of issues.

I would like a 64-bit system so I could get more memory.

Maybe I'll take the plunge soon.

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com

Re: mp3

Ed McCanless
<Snip>

jef peeraer wrote:

> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
> package requirements.
> java-15-0-sun-plugin
> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
> speex cannot be installed
>
> jef
Running 10.1 and 10.3, here, both 64 bit. Got everything I needed from
Packman.
I used to get those warnings, but most things seem to have been
resolved, now.

                               -ED-

Re: mp3

Joe-274
David Bolt wrote:

> No need for that. I'm running the 64bit versions of Amarok, Kaffeine and
> Xine on my 10.3 box, all from Packman, and there's no problem with them.
> For video transcoding I use FFmpeg, making packages from the latest
> sources in the FFmpeg SVN rather than using Packmans version. For MP3
> encoding, I use Lame on the command line for WAV files, or grip for
> ripping CDs.

Last I checked, there were some multimedia quirks on the 64-bit OS, but
not on the 32-bit OS. For instance, some movie files, don't play
correctly, some sound files play like alvin and the chipmunks on 64-bit,
but no problem on 32-bit.

I keep checking back every so often to see if 64-bit has gained parity
yet, but for all of my own systems, 32 bit still makes a lot more sense.

Joe

Re: mp3

jef peeraer-2
Ed McCanless wrote:

> <Snip>
>
> jef peeraer wrote:
>> what about the 64 bit version ? i always get warning/errors about spec
>> package requirements.
>> java-15-0-sun-plugin
>> no valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture
>> speex cannot be installed
>>
>> jef
> Running 10.1 and 10.3, here, both 64 bit. Got everything I needed from
> Packman.
> I used to get those warnings, but most things seem to have been
> resolved, now.
>
>                                -ED-
ok, checked it again, i had to deinstall a package named 'flac', then
installed all win32codecs, and amaorok is now playing 'chad kroeger', hero.
thanks

jef